AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN IS A GENIUS?

Started by Xeditor, January 18, 2003, 12:34:03 PM

Gold Trumpet

Again, people speaking like Black Hawk Down is a universally condemmned film. *Wonders what he put as the best film of 2001*

Also, Soderbergh's Solaris is very much in the same vein of Nolan's Insomnia. Yes, Solaris originated as a book but didn't meet fame until Tarkovsky did it as a movie in 1972. And the thing about Tarkovskys', is that it is a great film where Soderbergh condenses that movie in a children's version of interpretation in the hope of telling the audience more what to feel where the original went for more and is, in the end,  the greater film.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAgain, people speaking like Black Hawk Down is a universally condemmned film. *Wonders what he put as the best film of 2001*

Also, Soderbergh's Solaris is very much in the same vein of Nolan's Insomnia. Yes, Solaris originated as a book but didn't meet fame until Tarkovsky did it as a movie in 1972. And the thing about Tarkovskys', is that it is a great film where Soderbergh condenses that movie in a children's version of interpretation in the hope of telling the audience more what to feel where the original went for more and is, in the end,  the greater film.

~rougerum

A childrens version?

I think you seem to think that just because it was Tarkovsky, it must have been good, but a LOT of Tarkovsky fans (myself included) see Solaris as his worst film.  It was over done and too long for what it was going for.

Soderberg's Solaris was just another way of adapting the book.

BHD... don't really want to go into it, but yes, there are a lot of people that do regard it as great cinema, my point was just that Scott isn't a great filmmaker, he's just made a couple of really good films.

Gold Trumpet

Not at all RK. I say children's version with the distinct though that Soderbergh made his Solaris to be entirely easy understood. His edits in the film and shots were so purposely focused that it seemed to be without a lot of the edge for different interpretation brought up in the Tarkovsky film. I don't say that because it is Tarkovsky at all, I say it because I believe it. All I could think through watching Soderbergh's version is how easily understandable it was set up to be while for me, there was such an atmosphere in Tarkovsky's movie that overlong periods of nothing happening, gave for a feeling very much to the tune of 2001, that of being removed from just watching a movie and being brought into the character's world. My experience.

I never really cared for Scott's career either as being notice that he is a great filmmaker. Black Hawk Down, though, is a great film.

~rougerum

Xeditor

QuoteBlack Hawk Down, though, is a great film.

I agree.  In most cases, i enjoy anything produced by Bruckheimer....(spelling?)
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Jon

QuoteI think after "Thelma & Louise" (Spec. Ed. DVD out next week, btw), it has become hard to distinguish between him and brother Tony. Their styles were so distinct, but now they feel overlapping.

Exactly what I was thinking. It really made me mad to see Tony Scott's version of True Romance, even though I hadn't read the script, I could tell it would have been much better Tarantino's way.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XeditorBruckheimer....(spelling?)

S-a-t-a-n.

MacGuffin

Chris Nolan to Revive WB's Batman Franchise

According to Variety, Warner Bros. has signed Memento and Insomnia director Chris Nolan to revive its Batman franchise. It is unclear whether he will write the script as well.

"All I can say is that I grew up with Batman, I've been fascinated by him and I'm excited to contribute to the lore surrounding the character," Nolan told the trade. "He is the most credible and realistic of the superheroes, and has the most complex human psychology. His superhero qualities come from within. He's not a magical character."

The trade adds that it is not known how the new Nolan project will impact any of the other Bat-films, Batman Vs. Superman, Batman: Year One and Catwoman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

As far as Solaris goes, I will be posting a great great fucking review out of this month's issue of Sights and Sound. Just picked a copy of it up, had never heard of it before (PTA's name is on the cover).
The reviews focus more on the director rather than the actors, and reading some of them are more fun than the actual movies.
I can't find them on the web so I will have to type them, it will take me a while, will post later today. Look for Solaris, Punch-Drunk Love and Gangs of New York reviews later on.

What thread should I post them under?

Gold Trumpet

I'm curious to know why these directors even want to make the Batman films at all. Yea, they say he is the most realistic of superheroes with pyschological problems but still, you are forced to tell a story that panders to the cliches of action movies with little room for freedom to do anything. And if Nolan is successful with this, he will only have to do more and become the director of the Batman series.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

I like the idea of Nolan doing Batman (not as much as Aaronofski), but I think he's shown that he could do a pretty decent Batman film.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin
"All I can say is that I grew up with Batman, I've been fascinated by him and I'm excited to contribute to the lore surrounding the character"

Everybody says that about (insert comic book superhero) when they become attached to it. Does Aronofsky have anything to do now? Think hes free to come by later and trim my lawn

Gold Trumpet

I heard from an uncredible source that Guy Pierce is being tagged as to play Batman in Nolan's version. Should I deem this as a credible rumor at all?

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI heard from an uncredible source that Guy Pierce is being tagged as to play Batman in Nolan's version. Should I deem this as a credible rumor at all?

~rougerum

Variety reports that the ''Insomnia'' and ''Memento'' filmmaker will direct the next Caped Crusader movie. He did not say whether or not he would also write the screenplay or what the plot would entail, though the trade paper suggested that he might consider ''Memento'' star Guy Pearce for the role of Bruce Wayne.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I am a Nolan fan.  Memento was good for more than just its narrative structure.  The only reason that structure worked was because it was pulled off well by a good filmmaker.

Insomnia was solid, nothing spectacular or memorable...but solid. I did find it a little anti-climatic.

I would much, much, much rather see Nolan do the newest Batman rather than Aronofsky.  Batman, no matter what, should remain a blockbuster film.  I don't think Aronofsky has the ability to pull of a blockbuster film (something everyone can enjoy).  I do think Nolan can do that and still make the blockbuster good.

Nothing against Aronofsky, but I don't think bigger budget means better film for him.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Duck Sauce

Quote from: SHAFTRI don't think Aronofsky has the ability to pull of a blockbuster film (something everyone can enjoy).  

Why not?

Quote from: SHAFTR
Nothing against Aronofsky, but I don't think bigger budget means better film for him.

Why not? He has never worked with a large budget before so how can you say that? Im not saying its true or not, but I dont think we will know till it happens.