Will he ever win an Oscar?

Started by Disco Stu, April 25, 2004, 04:46:31 PM

Stefen

He won't win an oscar, and frankly I doubt it is even that important to him. Oscars are for people who care about whats being worn at the show. I doubt pta cares about that stuff. He'll always get nominated but will never win, sooner or later he will just stop showing up. And his movies will get better and better as he becomes more of a recluse.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Quote from: flagpolespeciali remember reading something about him being rather upset when he didn't win the oscar for the boogie nights screenplay.
For the Magnolia screenplay, actually.

Xx

cowboykurtis

there is really no point of speculating
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Up to your old tricks again, Sleuth?

RegularKarate

Up to your old tricks again, Sleuth?

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: flagpolespeciali believe pta would really love to win an oscar.

From the portuguese edition of PREMIERE magazine of March, 2003:

Q: The Academy Awards are near. Would you like to win an Oscar?

A: Yes, sure.

Q: As a director or as writer?

A: I don't care, I just want to win one. It would be great to have an Oscar.
Si

MacGuffin

You can't win if you don't make movies, Mr. Paul Thomas Malick.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kassius

I don't think he'll ever win, until his movies become more mainstream and successful at the box office.  Because I think the true concept of the Oscars has gone down the crapper... like the Grammys.  There was a time when great musicians would win, now your record has to be in the top #10 to stand a chance.  It's like a Billboard awards... "mmm. I wonder what record is going to win for Album of the Year". duhh!!!

It used to be about who was the best... but the Oscars, like everything else, has become another huge night for Hollywood to rake in the dough.  ABC, CBS, FOX... all the big networks want this one because it draws a crowd.  They want to see the big directors, the sexy Hollywood stars, everything that makes it into a huge night for people who don't really even give a damn about the films. If it was about great films, and Joe Blow would come up to accept his award, who'd watch??? They want people in films that have captured audiences all year and created fan bases, so their fans watch and cheer them on.

I take more faith in Cannes, then I do the Oscars. There is a lot of butt kissing, and a lot of people winning because of demand and not talent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the "Lord of the Rings" films are amazing. I hate fantasy, so I refuse to watch them, but I'm sure the academy had their doors knocked down for Peter Jackson to win it each year. And that is just more thing that pisses me off.

Pozer

Quote from: ckad79They want people in films that have captured audiences all year...
yeah, uh cause that's like, what they're supposed to do. Who cares about the politics behind it, for the most part it is about great films. Lost in Translation was all over the damn show last year and yes, it was a hit but by word of mouth from critics and I know tons of mainstream moviegoers who hated it. And why does the Peter Jackson thing piss you off. You refuse to watch his movies, so you have no idea why he and the film raked in the nominations each year and won the final.
And also, if it "used to be" about who was the best, then how come Scorsese has never won.
And for my two cents, hell yes I think PT will one day. The man has miles to go and his best is no doubt yet to come.

SHAFTR

besides the 1969 Midnight Cowboy Best Picture award, when was the Oscars much different than it is today?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

P.T.A.

And I thought I had fan support.

Pozer

Quote from: P.T.A.And I thought I had fan support.
Dude, you misspelled your own name. It's PTA. You must've been drunk.