ghost world

Started by sphinx, June 29, 2003, 07:50:42 PM

sphinx

i searched for a topic on this and was surprised to not find one.  finally got around to renting this a few days ago and got the shit surprised out of me.

"in addition to our old favourites, chocolate and vanilla, this week we are featuring six gun strawberry, wild cherry roundup and ten gallon tangerine."

i spent the first hour of the movie fearing that the characters wouldn't change, but luckily everything shifted gears and it was great.

"i feel like i'm being jabbed in the face!"

buscemi rules.  there really is no other way to put it.  there's something great about each scene, and that 'mirror, father, mirror' short the art teacher showed her class just cracked me up.

oh yeah, and this guy is great:

i can see how a lot of people would be turned off by the movie as a whole, or more specifically the two main characters, but i think it all works great.

SHAFTR

I enjoyed it as well.
I haven't gotten around to reading the graphic novel it is based off of by Daniel Clowes.

I have read Caricature and some of David Boring by him and he is very good...if you have never read a comic and think they are childish, start with him.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Cecil

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

sphinx's noteAHHH SPOILERS[/color]

I thought it was great, but I also think it should have ended five minutes before it did -- with the bus pulling up, and the old man getting on. It would have been so perfect!

Clowes' stuff is great, too.

MacGuffin

I love this movie. So funny and yet, like trem said, very sad. Great screenplay and direction.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

i'm a huge fan of this film and terry zwigoff.  i own the movie on dvd, the shooting script and the graphic novel.  good film!  i really which more "indie" films were made like this.

ps
i use the quotes around the word indie cuz i really think that term is being thrown around way too much in a wrong context.  since when does 4 million dollar budget count as an indie film?  i know it was independently produced but i long for the days of indie films that cost less than a million dollars.  whatever happened no budget filmmaking?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Sick Boy

This has been on cable a lot lately.  I've watched several times in the past few weeks, finding something new everytime.  The pants are the latest thing I've been wondering about.  Any suggestions as to what they mean?

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Sick BoyThis has been on cable a lot lately.  I've watched several times in the past few weeks, finding something new everytime.  The pants are the latest thing I've been wondering about.  Any suggestions as to what they mean?

well, you know how the steve buscemi character's new girlfriend bought him a new pair of jeans and how uncomfortable he was in them?  well, relate that idea to the old jeans on the sidewalk.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

modage

i also loved this movie.  one of my favorites of 2001 for sure.  i didnt really know too much about it when i went to see it in the theatre other than it being based on an independant comic book, but also found myself hugely surprised.  i also have the dvd and have since tried to show as many people as i thought would watch it.  such great characters.  so sad how the friends drift apart after high school, but so true.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sick Boy

Quote from: rudieob
Quote from: Sick BoyThis has been on cable a lot lately.  I've watched several times in the past few weeks, finding something new everytime.  The pants are the latest thing I've been wondering about.  Any suggestions as to what they mean?

well, you know how the steve buscemi character's new girlfriend bought him a new pair of jeans and how uncomfortable he was in them?  well, relate that idea to the old jeans on the sidewalk.

I thought of this possibility, but don't they then end up as part of somebody's art work at the student's show near the end?

MacGuffin

Quote from: rudieobsince when does 4 million dollar budget count as an indie film?

Since the average cost of a Hollywood studio film shot up to $100 million.

Quotewhatever happened no budget filmmaking?

That went out when the studios were willing to make movies for cheap by investing in Sundance type films (even setting up subdivisions to do so), because they aren't as big a risk and they make a profit. They just hire first time directors and getting 'name' stars that will work for cheap.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

Quote from: Sick BoyI thought of this possibility, but don't they then end up as part of somebody's art work at the student's show near the end?

in one of the deleted scenes, the art teacher shows the pants as a piece called 'wasteland', apparently they're radioactive

Sick Boy

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: Sick BoyI thought of this possibility, but don't they then end up as part of somebody's art work at the student's show near the end?

in one of the deleted scenes, the art teacher shows the pants as a piece called 'wasteland', apparently they're radioactive

That's interesting.  This is on the DVD?

sphinx

aye, it's a short 20 second scene