The Paperboy

Started by MacGuffin, August 15, 2012, 05:43:26 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Timberlake was kinda bad in Bad Teacher, but kinda funny in that Mila Kunis movie, so his comedic timing is yet to be proved to me. But of course if the Coens see that potential, I'm sure he'll nail it.
Si

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on August 18, 2012, 05:12:14 AM
Timberlake was kinda bad in Bad Teacher, but kinda funny in that Mila Kunis movie, so his comedic timing is yet to be proved to me. But of course if the Coens see that potential, I'm sure he'll nail it.

After watching all his SNL skits.... I gotta say, his comedic timing is near perfect. The guy is definitely funny.

But he still has to prove himself in more dramatic roles.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

ElPandaRoyal

I liked his somewhat dramatic roles in Southland Tales and The Social Network, and now that I think about it, for a dude who's been acting for not so long, he's made some decent work and for interesting director too. So, respect Timberlake.

And now on topic again... Almodóvar was attached to this project for years, right? I don't know much about this story and didn't particularly care for the trailer either, but the fact that this was under Almodóvar's radar for so long, maked it interesting to me.
Si

BB

While I'm still rooting for Efron, this won't be his year. Saw At Any Price and, though his performance is not bad, the flick's a stinker. And Paperboy seems too divisive to quite get him where he's going. Dang. There's always next year.

Edit: okay, checked his IMDB and he's got MASSIVE shit on the horizon. Fingers crossed for 2014.

polkablues

New marquee when I get around to making it:

"XIXAX: We're rooting for you, Zac Efron"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Mel

This is a such weird movie. In a way it is coming of age story, but with much older characters. I feel also that there is a bit of a take on "white people problems". Both brothers and Charlotte live in a fairy tale, they don't know what they want from life. In the end take face reality and pay for that. This is contrasted with Anita - which seems like only adult in this story and Acheman - person who has very specific goals and is more self-aware than anybody else. Anita is also narrator, which could explain why characters are presented as children.

Overall it is very uneven film. Acting is there, story is interesting, yet I fell something is missing. I can understand where cinematography and editing is coming, still I don't like it - one foggy (dream-like) insert too many.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Reel

Yeah, I couldn't get into this either. I thought Lee Daniels did a great job with precious so I was expecting more from it. I can't even remember what details about it I didn't like, but thinking back right now, it's the look. Too polished and bright and squeaky clean, nauseatingly so. That's my only recollection, but your post in here reminded me I've got this coming in the mail:

I'm going to just go ahead and assume it's the better movie.

Mel

Quote from: Reelist on February 05, 2014, 10:15:25 AM
Yeah, I couldn't get into this either.

I quite enjoyed the film to be honest - there are both funny and dramatic moments. Films just feels too episodic to me (with some weak parts) and swings from funny to very dark atmosphere don't quite work, they lacks fluidity.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...