Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Started by Duck Sauce, January 25, 2003, 02:40:35 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: poserIt's supposed to be told from his POV. These are his Confessions of a Dangerous Mind after all.

All the more reason I should have known who this guy was, and why I felt I knew more about the people around him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

ok, what's with Soderbergh and Clooney and their obsession with showing bare male ass? i really don't want to see that.

(out of sight is on cable now)........after watching the deleted scenes i concluded that Clooney cut some of the best shots/scenes in the film........the extended shot of Burris behind the curtain looked great, especially that part where you saw the CIA training ground behind him with the sky moving..........the first killing assignment.......the dragging of the body with the car was great and by cutting that it really didn't make sense why they called him an amatuer in the film from what was left in........the entire scene would have made that clear...........i also loved the scene with the head blowing up, piano falling on old lady and dog, and massacred audience (kubrick-esque).........and i watched that triple split screen a couple of times to get the sense of space (although i'm not a big fan of split screen stuff

i was confused by the Clooney/pool thing too.......did he actually tell him it was Roberts or was he just supposed to get it? the way it was edited made me almost think that Burris shot him......confusing

i'm also kinda thrown off as to when the opening naked/beard scene falls in the time line with the ending marriage, etc?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Cecil

Quote from: bigideasok, what's with Soderbergh and Clooney and their obsession with showing bare male ass? i really don't want to see that.

ii think that the sole reason is exactly because most people (most guys) "dont want to see that."

Find Your Magali

Easter egg, from //www.dvdreview.com

Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind

On the Buena Vista Home Entertainment release of 'Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind' you can also find some hidden extra if you know where to look for it.

From the DVD's Main Menu go to the 'Special Features.' Here, highlight the 'Gong Show Acts' menu entry and then press the 'Right' arrow key on your remote control. This will highlight a new option. If you press 'Enter' now, you will have the chance to see an exciting behind-the-scenes clip of the filming of the Gene, Gene Dancing Machine Gong Show segment, showing George Clooney directing the extras and dancing around the set like a loon.

©brad

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: bigideasok, what's with Soderbergh and Clooney and their obsession with showing bare male ass? i really don't want to see that.

ii think that the sole reason is exactly because most people (most guys) "dont want to see that."

i actually kinda enjoyed seeing clooney's ass in solaris.  :shock: he must work out.

tpfkabi

hmmm. let's start using a warning system called "BMA."
if a film contains Bare Male Ass, it will be marked with "BMA"
this will let BigIdeas know to stay far, far away.

oh, the Kill Bill trailer in 5.1 was a nice way to start of the disc. it was a pleasant surprise.

Pas

I loved that movie ! Clooney's direction is incredible, even my friend who don't know so much about movies said while watching something like : "I like the way it's filmed and the scenes are well cut". I don't think he was trying to show off.

Rockwell's performance should have got an Oscar nomination. Much better than Micheal Cane in A Quiet American (boring movie if there's any)

Edit : Why the hell did I like this one so much ? I wonder...maybe it's because all we've gotten lately is mainly crap. Or Rockwell's ass ...one or the other

Anachronism

I really liked McGuffin's critical response I think it is very perceptive. That being said the last part of his statement ie. that while Sam Rockwell did a tremendous job his character was incomplete and hence made his job all the more challenging.

Well I dunno bout the rest of you who have seen it and have not posted but I have seen it 3 times in theatres and relish owning it on DVD. I love George Clooney as an actor, and quite honestly George Clooney as a director is seriously giving me pause as to reconsidering which team I bat for. I was flabberghasted by how utterly beautiful the technical composition of this film was. The editing, the cutting, the transistions as McG mentioned were highly stylized and really candy for the eye. The acting was fantastic (I'm a huge Rockwell fan too) and the plot was wholly engaging. I am gonna have to completely poo poo RegKarate's opinion on this one as I am polarly opposed to his views on the film.

If you like movies that are out of the ordinary and give you candid glimpses into the workings of other peoples minds and psyches without vomiting you back out into your own reality without a safety blanket and making you feel guilty for the vicarious pleasure or guilt you have experienced, then you HAVE TO SEE THIS FILM.

I guess I may be a far too biased source to acurately recommend this film given that the dialogue and directing was entirely indicative of what I am aspiring for. I guess I found the internal monologues all to familiar and through seeing them manifested onscreen emanating from another individuals mouth was far too satisfying for me to begin to describe. But yeah this movie is honestly now in my top 10. Give it a chance before you knock it.

tpfkabi

what do you think about the deleted scenes? i touched on my thoughts above.

oh, i like that he did most of his effects with the camera and not with digital effects.....it was cool to see how he shot the scene where Drew is in the bathtub

i definitely think if it wasn't done by Clooney, it would have been looked at more seriously......what i mean is that because he is a star i think it was kind of looked over.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasi definitely think if it wasn't done by Clooney, it would have been looked at more seriously......what i mean is that because he is a star i think it was kind of looked over.

Because of him being George Clooney, or because of him being a actor/star? Because if it's the latter...

Robert Redford
Clint Eastwood
Kevin Costner
Mel Gibson
Ron Howard
Warren Beatty

...all Best Director Academy Award Winners
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: RegularKarate
I don't think Clooney seems to be a very good director.  He was trying too  hard to make it stylized and kind of over did it.  And while I love Kaufman, the story-line was kind of weak (I know it was based on a book)... there wasn't that much conflict and once there was, it was resolved easily.  It was like the ending was jazzed up just to show that it was the end, but it didn't feel like the end because it hardly felt like it had ever began.

That pretty much sums up how I felt about it.  It's a story about a game show host who claims he was a CIA assassin.  The story has so much potential!.....how did Clooney manage to make it so boring?  After a while I got tired of the same camera moves being used over and over.  By the end of the movie I didn't care what happened to the characters.

budgie

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyThe story has so much potential!.....how did Clooney manage to make it so boring?  After a while I got tired of the same camera moves being used over and over.  By the end of the movie I didn't care what happened to the characters.

I hated this film, it was intensely tedious, and I spent most of the time admiring my shoes as a distraction. I appreciated the substitution of the character pov for any other kind of authorial voice (director, writer), but the problem was that Barris was so ordinary and utterly not dangerous that, yes, you didn't give a shit about him. I would like to think the whole thing was making a satirical point about his self-indulgent posturing, but I'm not convinced, since Clooney's direction was, as RK says, so painfully 'cool', with no indication that it was supposed to mirror Barris' state of mind. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong there - was the style deliberately self-conscious? Whatever, even if it was, it just doesn't make for a very absorbing film, because all you have is the small space of a very narrow mind.

Oh, maybe that's the point, and my hating it is an indication of how brilliant it is? I'm just not convinced that Clooney is quite that smart.

All I really know is that my shoes are beautiful.

RegularKarate

Damn Budgie, wish you would have come with me to see this movie... then I could have looked at your shoes too.
Instead all know is that after popping my knuckles, I have to wait sixteen minutes before they can be popped again.

budgie

RegularKarate

Thanks... if I go too long without a Dude-a-tar I start to feel... wrong.