The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

tpfkabi

I'm glad Lauren Cohan is on there. I happened to catch an episode of Supernatural when she was on and I actually kept watching. I have only seen her in supporting roles, so I can't say much about her acting, but she is easy on the eyes imo.

So was the flashback scene in the last episode filmed a long time ago since Shane had hair, or can they make wigs look that realistic? That had to be planned pretty far in advance I would think.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

diggler

It looked like they were using the same set as the Zombie herd scene from the premiere, so I'm not surprised if it was filmed earlier. That scene could have been placed in any episode.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

When the best character in your show is a Boondock Saint, you know you've got a problem.

SPOILS

Norman Reedus is really the only reason I've been into the last few episodes and when he got shot in the head in this one i was kind of upset that that's how he was going to go out but also like "FUCK YEAH THIS SHOW FINALLY GREW SOME BALLS."

But of course, herp derp, its just a flesh wound, he'll be alright......fucking pussies.

GT put this on his fb wall the other day, I feel its fitting:

"The Walking Dead's a show about heroic zombies trying to stop self-indulgent humans from having an annoying soap opera."
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

Spoils

I'm not trying to debate whether or not this show has melodramatic elements, but doesn't it seem a bit odd to call the actions in a zombie apocalypse over dramatic?  Despite the fact that I don't agree with most of their actions and ways they go about things, it's important to understand that fear doesn't exactly breed rational thought.  So, I just don't really think that approach does much.

Again, let me reiterate, I tend to agree with most of everyone's opinions about certain negative aspects of the show but that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy it.  GT's fb post is funny though.

The pregnancy bit is typical soap opera bullshit, but mad men is basically the same thing.  Stylized soap opera.   Someone has someone's baby but they don't know that they're not the father blah blah blah.

I believe that this doesn't excuse these shows from scrutiny, but I find a show like walking dead worth watching in comparison to the rest of television drama.  I don't really feel like any of the complaints have made it unwatchable for me personally.

It's been clear since ep 1 that the show doesn't have the "balls" that the graphic novel does, but I still find it entertaining.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Tictacbk

I think a lot of the disappointment with this show comes from the frustration that it COULD be so much better, but its not.  Instead its often boring, and filled with plot devices that are there just to fill the gaps between zombie attacks.  I mean, we're 5 episodes in and what the hell has happened?  At most 2 episodes worth of actual content.  Its to the point where any small moments of character development feel so refreshing.

In order to enjoy the show you have to appropriately lower your expectations...just like most Zombie related things.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Tictacbk on November 16, 2011, 04:36:28 PMI mean, we're 5 episodes in and what the hell has happened?  At most 2 episodes worth of actual content.  Its to the point where any small moments of character development feel so refreshing.

That's exactly right. The show is trying to be Lost, but it doesn't earn its slow pace.

Quote from: Tictacbk on November 16, 2011, 04:36:28 PMIn order to enjoy the show you have to appropriately lower your expectations...

Yup... that's what I'm doing.

Quote from: squints on November 16, 2011, 01:28:45 PMGT put this on his fb wall the other day, I feel its fitting:

"The Walking Dead's a show about heroic zombies trying to stop self-indulgent humans from having an annoying soap opera."

That is a flawless and all-encompassing description of this show... I love GT sometimes.

Quote from: Neil on November 16, 2011, 02:51:16 PMI'm not trying to debate whether or not this show has melodramatic elements, but doesn't it seem a bit odd to call the actions in a zombie apocalypse over dramatic?  Despite the fact that I don't agree with most of their actions and ways they go about things, it's important to understand that fear doesn't exactly breed rational thought.  So, I just don't really think that approach does much.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of melodrama (and even possibly soap opera). I'm only opposed to this show's aggressive (and humorously direct) emotional manipulation of the audience. See my previous "crushing your skull with a baseball bat" analogy. You know it's bad when a scene basically screams at you (for example) Hey, look! This scene is about how Rick is so heroic that he would foolishly/needlessly risk his own life! Watch him struggle with his boundless heroism! Actually, don't just watch, we're going to also explain it to you through dialogue. It's gotten much better with the last few episodes, but if they pick up that baseball bat again, I will be very disappointed (and probably not surprised).

Quote from: squints on November 16, 2011, 01:28:45 PMSPOILS

Norman Reedus is really the only reason I've been into the last few episodes and when he got shot in the head in this one i was kind of upset that that's how he was going to go out but also like "FUCK YEAH THIS SHOW FINALLY GREW SOME BALLS."

But of course, herp derp, its just a flesh wound, he'll be alright......fucking pussies.

Yeah, that was quite silly, but so is the entire show, so that little OMG did she kill him? gimmick barely even registered.

The pregnancy also barely registered. I'm not sure that I care. Just figure out whose baby it is, proceed with the inevitable *almost dies during childbirth* scene, and move on.

Although... childbirth + zombies would make for a spectacular scene.

Also, I would like to see zombie baby.

squints

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 16, 2011, 05:35:46 PM
Also, I would like to see zombie baby.

Its been done twice, once in Dead Alive to comedic effect, and once in the remake of Dawn of the Dead to really disturbing effect.

One thing i did like about the last episode was the flashback to the highway scene, that was fantastic. My favorite parts of Apocalyptic movies and shows are the scenes of the actual apocalypse  happening, and we got a little taste there. More of that please.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

I just realized something.

Considering the pacing, Lori is going to spend the rest of the show pregnant.

(SPOILER)

diggler

Either that or we'll get the inevitable "1 year later" cut. 

Seriously though, these people need to start dying already.

Jeremy Blackman

polkablues

COMICS SPOILER:

Rather than killing Rick off, they need to do what they did in the comics and kill off Laurie and their baby. Dodgy accent aside, I really like Andrew Lincoln in the role, and he needs that kick in the balls to force his character into some interesting places.

The best aspect of the comics is that it really does feel like any character could die at any moment, and the show has no sense of that. We're, what, five episodes into this season, and one character has died. A character who was around for two episodes. The stakes in the comic are huge, imminent, and permanent. On the show, there seemingly are no stakes beyond "Will Glenn get laid a second time?"

The show's still compulsively watchable for me, but I really wish they would consult me on some of these decisions.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

COMICS SPOILER...

Well then. That would be interesting. If Lori gets bitten, does her baby become a zombie fetus? Would they zombify simultaneously? If that's the case, would the zombie fetus be content staying inside a zombie womb, or would it want to get out?

This must happen.

polkablues

CONTINUED COMICS SPOILER

In the comics it happened after the baby was born (and they died from a gunshot, not zombification), but I'm totally up for a zombie fetus.  It could be like a little Kuato poking out of zombie Lori's stomach.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Fernando

wouldn't a zombie fetus eat the insides of her mom?

maybe I'm in the minority but 1st season was better (so far), the flashbacks are good thou and have a lot of potential, they should do whole episodes of them, the rest is kind of meh.

as far as the shows I'm seeing right now, the only one worth it is Homeland* and to some extent Boardwalk, or maybe they seem good because the rest is mediocre/bad, one thing's for sure, br ba really spoiled me (us).

* if you have time check it out, id recommend to give it a shot.

diggler

EVEN MORE COMICS SPOILERS

They seem to be deviating from the comics quite a bit as far as who lives and dies (Shane being alive, Otis being dead) but they seem to be keeping the basic story beats (Hershel's farm). So far I've liked the deviations, especially what they've done with Shane this season. If they kill off Laurie and the Baby I'd be more satisfied with the show (that came out wrong). I'm just hoping the prison/governor storyline remains in there, that would make a great 3rd season.