Martin Scorsese's top 10 favorite movies of the 90's

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 06:15:15 PM

Duck Sauce

Cecil

ono

godardian

Crash is notorious. I've always wanted to see it, but still haven't. I think I'm waiting to read the book first. I've always meant to get into Ballard, and a movie makes a perfect carrot for reading the book...

Scorsese's list is alright. I haven't seen all the films on it, like the ones on there I have seen, but it wouldn't match my own '90s list at all, I don't think.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

life_boy

I just like the fact that his list isn't the common best of the 90's list that has good films on it, but it's just nothing new.  I like that he included Eyes Wide Shut, Thin Red Line, and Heat.  The Thin Red Line is not my favorite film and I wouldn't put it on my top list but I think it's cool that he did.  Maybe I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about.  

Heat kicks ass, by the way.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetBreaking the Waves and Fargo. I am watching Bad Luitenant now and so far nothing good. It can change though. Who knows.

Yes, I supposebly am the devil.

~rougerum

Yeah, B.L. didn't really stoke my fire either man.  Ferrara's films are so polar; I hated B.L. but I loved King of New York.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

joeybdot

I figured Scorsese would have a thing for Tarantino Movies (Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs)

Something Spanish

Good list, but who the fuck has seen The Horse Thief!?!?!?

Derek237

I have. Okay, I'm lying.

I can see why Bad Lieutenant made his list. If I didn't know any better I'd say Scorsese made it himself.

Harvey Keitel is the man, BTW.

Alexandro

It seems to me from this list that he hasn't seen that many 90's movies anyway...

It seems to me that, when he has the time, he mainly watches the old favorites instead of new ones...

Bad Leutainant is definetely an scorsese choice...and eyes wide shut too...

Pubrick

Quote from: AlexandroIt seems to me from this list that he hasn't seen that many 90's movies anyway...

It seems to me that, when he has the time, he mainly watches the old favorites instead of new ones...

Bad Leutainant is definetely an scorsese choice...and eyes wide shut too...
well, he's a lover of film, and there are like 80 years of watchable material before the 90s. so it makes sense.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

The Horse Theif is from the 80s anyway, right? I can't get the audio for some reason but I remember watching the show and that's what he said...

filmcritic

Yeah, he said that he cheated a bit on it because it was from 88 or 89.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

The Silver Bullet

Yeah, well people say that Raging Bull is the last masterpiece of the 70s, so...

Meanwhile, I like his list. The man has a head on his shoulders [not to mention a sheer passion in his heart], and so I trust his judgement, regardless of whether I would have picked the same films he has picked.

You have to remember, of course, that Scorsese sees everything from everywhere, so he's probably a fairly good judge.

Not that I agree with much of what he's said. But you know what I mean.

Or do you?

Yes.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

AK

Quote from: DerekNever saw Breaking the Waves, I can see Fargo.........but Bottle Rocket? C'mon Marty.

Scorsese loves Anderson work (mainly Bottle Rocket)...

At the Esquire article about the New Scorsese the man himself picked Wes name as the future one...

and look what he said about bottle rocket:

"... I've found myself going back and watching Bottle Rocket several times. I'm also very fond of his second film, Rushmore (1998) - it has the same tenderness, the same kind of grace. Both of them are very funny, but also very moving..... And I also love the scene in Bottle Rocket when Owen Wilson's character, Dignan, says, "They'll never catch me, man, 'cause I'm fuckin' innocent." Then he runs off to save one of his partners in crime and gets captured by the police, over "2000 Man" by the Rolling Stones. He—and the music—are proclaiming who he really is: He's not innocent in the eyes of the law, but he's truly an innocent. For me, it's a transcendent moment. And transcendent moments are in short supply these days."