Blossoms & Blood

Started by av8raaron, March 02, 2003, 09:53:44 PM

av8raaron

Anybody on here seen the Blossoms & Blood DVD?  Is it worthwhile enough to justify the prices eBay'ers are charging or should I just wait until PDL comes out on DVD with all the extras?
Fresh buttered toast.

sphinx

there's no guarantee if the stuff on 'blossoms' will be included on the 2 discer.  i don't believe there are any copies selling on ebay, and greg told me how much he sold the dvd for....it was quite a pretty penny he made there.  should you stumble upon it, i would strongly suggest you nab it at a somewhat reasonable price.

supposedly there's a lot more blake stuff, maybe some weird alternate takes or scenes and more jon brion music

Ghostboy

Oooh, how much did he make? I wonder if I'd be willing to part with mine...

sphinx

Quote from: GhostboyOooh, how much did he make? I wonder if I'd be willing to part with mine...

booooviiiine excremennnnttttt

Ghostboy

Seriously, I've got one. Actually, the cover scan that Greg put up on his site when he first mentioned it? That's my copy. Or at least I assume it is because he posted that piece of new right after I scanned mine and sent it to him.

sphinx

Quote from: GhostboySeriously, I've got one. Actually, the cover scan that Greg put up on his site when he first mentioned it? That's my copy. Or at least I assume it is because he posted that piece of new right after I scanned mine and sent it to him.

perhaps you could tell us what's on it and what happens in it!

neatahwanta

Quote from: sphinx...and greg told me how much he sold the dvd for....it was quite a pretty penny he made there.

Huh....somehow that wouldn't fly in other communities.

Oh well.  :?

Ghostboy

All right, for all interested, here's a shot by shot description.

1. CU the harmonium, its keys horizontally aligned with the screen.  This shot holds for a while, in silence. Then...Barry's coffee mug SLAMS down.

2. Barry picks up the harmonium as the big truck roars past.

3. Barry runs with the harmonium towards his loading dock door, the morning sun flaring behind him.

4. FADE TO: a rapid assortment of Jeremy Blake artwork. This last for nearly a minute. Everything is accompined by Jon Brion's score.

5. FADE TO: Barry trying to play the harmonium, the camera tilting up from the pedal to the keys.

6. A take of Barry and Lena's conversation in the car after leaving the restaurant. It's a single shot, taken from the backseat, Clerks style. They rush through the dialogue quite rapidly; it's interesting to compare their performances here with the final version of the scene.

7. The 'Here We Go' video. I won't go into this, as I'm sure everyone's seen it already on the soundtrack.

8. FADE TO: more Blake artwork, very short selection this time.

9. The Hawaian Girl dancing; the same clip that was on the website,
although cut in half.

10.  FADE TO: More Blake artwork.

11. The rest of the dancing shot.

12. Barry and Lena walking down the corridor and holding hands, superimposed over constantly changing Blake artwork.

13. The shot of Lena skipping up the steps at her hotel, again superimposed over artwork. This is the same shot in the film, only it doesn't cut away; Lena runs all the way up, and the camera begins to dolly towards her at the same time, until her face fills the frame.

14. More Blake artwork, with a still frame of Barry and Lena kinda mixed in.

15. Barry stares at the camera, then turns and looks up at the 99 cent sign and says "99 cents." Then he turns back to the camera and say "Pudding."

16.  A great take in the supermarket where Barry tries to conveniantly slide the pudding off the shelf into his shopping basket.

17. Barry begins  to throw the pudding cups one by one over his shoulder, into the shopping cart...only he misses every one. This take is really funny, mainly because it just goes on for so long.

18. ECU of Barry smashing something, superimposed over more artwork. This looks really pixelated and odd...I imagine Paul just enlarged the shot to the point that it was barely recognizable.  The sound of him hitting whatever he's hitting the glass has some interesting reverb effect added.

19. A wider shot, also distorted, of Barry smashing the windows in his office and screaming in pain. He keels over.

20. More ECU stuff: punching, glass breaking, more screaming, all superimposed over artwork. There is one shot of Barry punching that is repeated in rapid succession, and then a shot of glass breaking that slows down until its completely still. Over all this, there's a very distinct heart floating in the lefthand corner of the screen.

FADE TO BLACK.

And that's it. Oh yeah, the menu offers the choice of Dolby 5.1 and Dolby 2.0. There's a heavy emphasis on the sound design and score...I imagine the disc was partially designed to highlight those two stunning achievements. Gary Rydstrom and Jon Brion are such geniuses.

Duck Sauce

Where did you get yours Ghostboy?

Ghostboy

I got it along with all the other Academy screeners...even though I'm not actually a member of the Academy. I think they send them out to film critics, too.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GhostboyI got it along with all the other Academy screeners...even though I'm not actually a member of the Academy. I think they send them out to film critics, too.

So how did you get all that? Are you a critic?

Ghostboy

Yeah, I write reviews for my website. I think I only have like two regular readers...but I got to know a few people who have some sway in a critics organization, and they liked what I wrote, and voila.

Satcho9

I also write reviews on my website. Is it possible for me to sign up for this "critics organization" ?  

BtW: The XIXAX PILL kicks Presidential Ass

Ghostboy

Well, it's a local thing. I don't know if every city has a critics oranization or only the big ones, which I imagine Philadelphia would be considered one of....

Satcho9

cool, Ill have to look into it. Is there a website for this critics organization?