Fav pta character redux- ladies' choice

Started by godardian, May 13, 2003, 11:57:40 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i do not understand that thing about rollergirl, huh ???

is that a macho thing or worse a gayish p.c thing

both groups get on more nerves

someone please explain this Mary Lynn Rajskub is in third place ??????????

what the ???? ahhh wrong

i would like to hear the three people who have voted for her to explain why

BonBon85

I had to go with Amber. I think we've discussed this before, but Lena wasn't all that interesting of a character to me. Perhaps she has been elevated simply due to Barry's adoration of her, but I don't think that she herself was all that remarkable.

And where did you get that idea about Rollergirl? I'm not saying that it's definitely false, but it seems unlikely. You have to sympathize with her a bit, especially following the "On the Prowl" scene. (Or at least up until she kicks the guy).

godardian

Quote from: A perfectly Good whiteBoy

is that a macho thing or worse a gayish p.c thing

I don't understand your correlation of the two things. I'm a perfectly good gay boy, but not really p.c. at all. If I had to choose, though, no way I'd choose macho. That's been riding high for centuries; your "gayish p.c." has only been around a couple of decades or so. It's extraneous bullshit by now, when everyone pretty much realizes that most people have family members or someone they care about who is gay, blah blah blah, but it's still hardly as prevalent or pervasive as macho bullshit.

In fact, I've gotten in plenty of arguments with my friends defending PTA's movies, which some of them seem to think diminish the gay characters. I think the gay characters get equal treatment 'cos PTA's NOT trying to be p.c., so in the long run, it's much better to see a minor gay character in a PTA film than to see some horrible indie gay movie (god, do they get any more horrible?) that exists only to say "it's okay to be gay!" and insult you with their one-dimensional, stereotypical, solipsistic, lifestyle-magazine version of gayness. They're so fucking weak, most of them. But it's not even a question in PTA's films; he's beyond it, grown up enough about it to consider them as full human beings whose fate and presentation is not wholly determined by their sexuality, and move on to the real issues in people's lives. Almost any gay filmmaker could take a lesson from PTA's honorable, uncompromised depictions.

PTA's characters always feel relevant regardless of who or what they are because he makes them, as I said before, so human. I think he respects them all, regardless of how he disposes of them; he's showing us that they are not there for us to simplistically pigeonhole into "moral" categories and judge, that everyone deserves respect and an attempt at understanding where they're coming from.

I like the Fellini comparison someone made before. He was also a filmmaker who resisted the urge to moralize, and who therefore came up with films that say more about morality- true, deep, difficult, complicated morality of the humanistic sort- than many.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: A perfectly Good whiteBoysomeone please explain this Mary Lynn Rajskub is in third place ??????????

what the ???? ahhh wrong

I didn't vote for her, but I totally understand it. She's fuckin' funny. I hope he uses her again. I was so happy they included some of her bits on the Magnolia DVD.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Mellow Fellow

Let's compare chalk and cheese now, shall we?

personally i'd say cheese. you cant put chalk on bread.
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: A perfectly Good whiteBoysomeone please explain this Mary Lynn Rajskub is in third place ??????????

what the ???? ahhh wrong

I didn't vote for her, but I totally understand it. She's fuckin' funny. I hope he uses her again. I was so happy they included some of her bits on the Magnolia DVD.

and i thought that i could not think any less of you

please tell us why and how you think she is funny

godardian

Quote from: A perfectly Good whiteBoy

what the ???? ahhh wrong

and i thought that i could not think any less of you

It's crushing, I know. I'm sure you'll get over it. It's so difficult to please everyone, so I don't bother. Like all of us, I say what I want. I know you understand.

Was she not hilarious in the PDL scenes where she introduces Lena to Barry? I definitely thought she was. "I'm sorry he's acting weird and wearing that suit." She won't leave the suit alone. It really bothers her. That's funny. I'm pretty sure PTA hired her because she's well-known for being a comedic personality, and he was making a romantic comedy, so...

What's your problem with her?

she is one of the worst stand up comics in history and well her acting is not much better

she made it into the pta world by being jon brions girlfriend, so she is a friend.

but i can not see her being cast based on talent .

but she was good in magnolia, not the out takes, the film itself

she hit the roof of her talent in that part, anything else is well , not good

godardian

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Loveshe is one of the worst stand up comics in history and well her acting is not much better

she made it into the pta world by being jon brions girlfriend, so she is a friend.

Well, comedy is infinitely more subjective than drama. But she makes me laugh. She made me laugh on Mr. Show and she made laugh in PDL. So, I like her. I think she's fuckin' funny. I haven't seen her stand-up.

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Loveshe is one of the worst stand up comics in history and well her acting is not much better

Well, comedy is infinitely more subjective than drama. But she makes me laugh. She made me laugh on Mr. Show and she made laugh in PDL. So, I like her. I think she's fuckin' funny. I haven't seen her stand-up.

no comedy is pretty fuckin cut and dry, funny is funny

everything else is a abstract concept .

i find your screen name funny, how would you define yourself as godardian , is it only online, or in your whole life, do you go to the grocery store and pick out fruit in a godardesc fashion.

And how does one order a pizza in godardish way

©brad

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
I voted Lena. As much as I love the closing shot of Magnolia, and all of the Claudia/Jim stuff, I think Lena [and Emily Watson as Lena] is the best female character Anderson has written as yet.

really? maybe she's the most mysterious character PTA has written, i'll give her that, but I mean she is purposely written as very one-dimensional.  

as for my favorite, i'd probably go with ms. waves.

godardian

Quote from: Hot Puerto Rican Love

no comedy is pretty fuckin cut and dry, funny is funny

everything else is a abstract concept .

i find your screen name funny, how would you define yourself as godardian , is it only online, or in your whole life, do you go to the grocery store and pick out fruit in a godardesc fashion.

And how does one order a pizza in godardish way

So... everyone everywhere finds the exact same things funny? "Funny is funny?" "Cut and dried?" Makes no sense to me. I don't find that to be true at all. Maybe I know more people than you do.

See the "names" thread for more on my screen name. It's fascinating, I know. Side-splitting, really. Not like the irreproachable "Hot Puerto Rican Love" at all.

I'll just let you fantasize about how I pick out fruit and order pizza. Godard's focus upon and transfiguration of the mundane everyday rituals of modern capitalist living do apply, however. It really gets Godardian when I focus emotional energy on picking out soup and pudding, though. Especially pudding. And when my sex life intermingles with my coupon-clipping. And when I am the middleman for the Western state "funger" supply. Very Godardian, ineed. [/i]

I'll just let you fantasize about how I pick out fruit and order pizza. Godard's focus upon and transfiguration of the mundane everyday rituals of modern capitalist living do apply, however. It really gets Godardian when I focus emotional energy on picking out soup and pudding, though. Especially pudding. And when my sex life intermingles with my coupon-clipping. And when I am the middleman for the Western state "funger" supply. Very Godardian, ineed. [/i]

and to think i just thought you were being pretentious

godardian

and to think i just thought you were being pretentious

One man's pretension is another man's ability and willingness to understand words, sentences, and concepts.