Respect

Started by MacGuffin, October 25, 2003, 01:33:49 AM

cine

Quote from: mollySo, I ask you, when you say that a beautiful woman is a powerful thing, do you mean it'll pay off if a woman who wants to be a physician, goes on a plastic surgery, or hopping on one foot is the best she can hope for?
Oh Molly, please.. PLEASE let's all just bring this thread back to normalcy now. Just assume he meant nothing by it so we can all move on and use this thread for what it's used for.. and not some outlet for people to fight with others about viewpoints on women.. seriously, just PM each other so this doesn't grow another unnecessary 8 pages.. It's incredibly tedious stuff.

molly

you're right :roll: People here are not bad, and those who are, don't come here in visit

RegularKarate

There's no avoiding the fact that JJ's a bit of a misogynist.  There's seriously no avoiding that's just how he obviously is, so, let's get on with things... really.  If you think you can change him, fine, good luck, send him a PM.

cine

At this point, I'd just prefer to try preventing instead of perpetuating... out of Respect for some on this board.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Well hey now, we're not getting all touchy all of the sudden, are we?

I agree, some things don't need to be said.  (Don't visit the joke thread to question my integrity on being politically correct)

I agree we need to stop swarming women once they hit the board, but we're not suddenly giving special treatment to them because of it, right?

I'm just nipping the bud before we run the double standard of "pay attention to what you say when talking to women."  And I know what you're thinking.  Pay attention to what you say when you say it to anyone.  That's ok, too.  From what I've seen on this board, for the most part, everyone's mature enough to know what's too far.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mollySo, I ask you, when you say that a beautiful woman is a powerful thing, do you mean it'll pay off if a woman who wants to be a physician, goes on a plastic surgery, or hopping on one foot is the best she can hope for?
it all depends on what they want.  I am not saying their aren't barriers, in fact, I even disagree with them. There will always be some asshole to limit things.  Even looking on a global level, the are some cultures where women and men have set, defined roles.  I don't like that idea either.  I am a big believer in anyone can (and should be able to) do anything they want...I realize there are situations all over where this isn't even fathomable.

But assuming we are talking about a complex society... sure, it may suck getting there, there will be dipshits standing in the way. but is it better to scream repression than to learn how to work the system?  If someone needs  a boost, I hope they get it and do something productive with it.

so, no, hopping on one foot is only the start of the evening...

JB (sorry I pick on you) and such believe that a modern day utopia is achieveable...I don't see it happening.  The world can be a shitty ass place sometimes.  Yes, there definately are things that could be changed to reach total equaity.  I won't disagree with those either, just the people not making use of the advantages that are obtainable.  

So when I say a beautiful woman (or I coulda even said guy or that matter) is a powerful thing, it's not necessarly a pure sexual reference in nature.  But more that in society it is an attention grabber.  Scencerio: you are walking down the street...the woman (or man) in the red dress (suit) passes you by..you will look twice.  Everyone will, it's just human nature.  Do I agree with these almost certainies?...no.  But I don't deny they exist.

And for the seriousness (ps. this is a message board :wink: ) of these misogynist notions, I am sorry they just don't exist.  I coulda easily referred any and all points to a guy..just sounds kinda goofy hearing me say..."Whoa, check out da dudes pecs."
Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobWell hey now, we're not getting all touchy all of the sudden, are we?
I know...sheet...we chill.

cine

Quote from: aclockworkjjI coulda easily referred any and all points to a guy..just sounds kinda goofy hearing me say..."Whoa, check out da dudes pecs."
And on that note:

Discussion of aesthetics for the women: How do YOU define beauty in a man?

bonanzataz

taz, upon visiting xixax after the weeked has ended and finding a new thread that's reached 9 pages =  :yabbse-shocked:

you guys are a bunch of pussies...

and i mean that in the most respectful way possible.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

Quote from: bonanzataztaz, upon visiting xixax after the weeked has ended and finding a new thread that's reached 9 pages =  :yabbse-shocked:

you guys are a bunch of pussies...

and i mean that in the most respectful way possible.

Best Admin
I like to hug dogs

Banky

no one aknowledged my JJ joke on page 8.....

I guess no one thought it was a joke

It was though

bonanzataz

oh, here i go, banky. i'm about to acknowledge that...

that was so hilarious! you should be a stand up comic! do you write your own material? if so, you are the most clever and original person on this board.

seriously though, did you want a medal or something?

i'm just fucking with you.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Banky

no i got plenty of metals

somone referred to it as if i was being serious and really i wanted just my boy JJ to aknowledge it

but if a sarcastic admin. wants to, hey thats fine by me.

GodDamnImDaMan

Girls have cooties...

PERIOD!

Cooties = VD's  :shock:
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

©brad

Quote from: GloriaWow. Don't visit xixax for a few days and you fall behind in all the drama   :?

To get back to the initial theme in this thread:

MacGuffin was smart to bring this to the attention of everyone here at xixax.  Being a woman, I did notice a few of the threads getting a little out of hand. I usually tried to avoid any thread that I felt uncomfortable posting in (even if the thread started out as something harmless, like 'Uma Thurman' as mentioned earlier.)  

Most everyone here is awesome and I enjoy visiting here.  We are a community, and as a community we need to respect and look out for the well-being of all of our members.  MacGuffin brought the problem to everyone's attention in a sensitive and non-confrontational way that is truely admirable. I agree completely with his post and I am glad most of xixax seems to also  :)

I hope now that the problem has been brought to attention, this community of movie-lovers can mature and continue to be a fun, movie-driven forum with everyone's interests in mind.

yes, yes, and yes.

phew. i need a nap after reading all of this thread. all good points though, esp. from godardian, jeremy, gold t, pookie the cat, gloria, mac, rk, xixax, and pretty much everyone else besides acjj.

Cecil

r-e-s-p-e-c-t
find out what it means to me
r-e-s-p...

ok ill shut up now