Trick endings

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, August 18, 2003, 01:00:12 AM

SoNowThen

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd in my writing, I'm drawn more to the "slice of life" type stories.  So most of the time, trying to make some big impact at the end, goes against the grain.  For me, it's all about the stuff along the way.  Sure you want to tie things up at the end, but for me, endings aren't as traditional, happy, and neat and tied up as most people would like them.  Rather unpopular I know, but more satisfying to me, because every story's end is some other story's beginning.

But look at the great slice of life stories like Tender Mercies or Melvin And Howard. Very quiet, mature endings, but carry huge impact. Huge. They're not big and explosive and obvious, but the implications are. That's good writing. That's command of form and craft. If the last 15 min of your story aren't meaningful, then you'd better come up with something new.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

what i was talking about films like the sixth sense , you guys are taking this to other places

Sigur Rós

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantaloneswhat i was talking about films like the sixth sense , you guys are taking this to other places

Only a true mambo-brother would understand you.