Apocalypse Now

Started by El Duderino, March 31, 2004, 07:40:06 PM

cine

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleThe movie bored me.  The shots were nice and the acting was first-rate but the story bored me.  I also hated Full Metal Jacket....  Give me Deer Hunter over both of them.  I'm also a die-hard DeNiro fan.
Well if you found the shots nice and the acting first rate, while the story only bored you then chances are, it really isn't one of the worst VW movies ever... it's just how you took in the filmmaking. I could accept you being a little bored if it was the Redux but regardless of that, I don't see any credibility in your comment.

Dottie_Hinkle

The story didn't interest me but I enjoyed other aspects of the movie.  However, I STILL think it is one of the worst VW movies.  As far as you finding my statements lacking credibility....it's my opinion, A_hole.  Who died and left you the authority?
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?

SoNowThen

When Robert J. Moskiwitz passed away in early '95, he left Cinephile in charge of good taste, with the final words:

"...be sure to defend Apocalypse Now to crazy people who don't realize it is brilliant".
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenWhen Robert J. Moskiwitz passed away in early '95, he left Cinephile in charge of good taste, with the final words:

"...be sure to defend Apocalypse Now to crazy people who don't realize it is brilliant".

you forgot  the "with extreme prejudice" part.  to which Cinephile replied:

"Yes, sir. Very much so, sir. Obviously, insane defend."
context, context, context.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleThe story didn't interest me
Do you like 2001?

Dottie_Hinkle

Yes, I loved it.  Surreal and excellent.

SoNowThen

Apocalypse Now =
Quote from: Dottie_HinkleSurreal and excellent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Dottie_HinkleThe story didn't interest me
Do you like 2001?
please don't try to reason with it.
under the paving stones.

Dottie_Hinkle

By the way, I have GREAT taste....  Most of you seem like pretentious movie snobs but I still like to read your endless blabber.

SoNowThen

Didn't you read the banner? We all came here with good intentions like you. But now look at us...

btw, am I now so old that liking Apocalypse Now constitutes snobbery?! damn....

Dottie_Hinkle

Oh come one now, SoNowThen, we're all still playing, aren't we?

SoNowThen

ono

Way to endear yourself to us!  Just give us six months, Dottie.  That's all we ask.  That's our motto, y'know?

Alethia

Quote from: Dottie_HinkleMost of you seem like pretentious movie snobs but I still like to read your endless blabber.

i like spielberg, hate fight club, and think ali: fear eats the soul is an overrated bore (fassbinder i like, by the way, of what ive seen) - does that take me out of the snob circle?  :)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: StefenSorry guys. All out of owned pictures.
I'll contribute an original: