On the Bowery (1956)

Started by wilder, January 19, 2013, 07:22:13 PM

wilder

Directed by Lionel Rogosin

I watched this a few weeks ago and thought it was one of the best things I'd seen in a long time. The film mixes documentary footage with a semi-fictional narrative, but all of the "actors" are real people and essentially play themselves. It's one of the most tonally unique films I've ever seen -- although similar in some ways to Let There Be Light. I actually think PT mentioned it in the same breath as an influence or inspiration for The Master. Aside from the inventive narrative style, what really makes this film interesting is the people, who are very humanly drawn and unique unto themselves. These characters aren't just "types", but are rather the one-of-a-kind lost souls you remember the faces and specific behaviors of long after the film ends. The director has a rare affection for them. After filming was over, Hollywood pursued the lead, Ray Salyer, in hopes of launching his acting career, but he turned down the offer and disappeared, never to be heard from again.

The film chronicles three desperate days in a then impoverished lower Manhattan neighborhood, New York's skid row: the Bowery. It is the story of Ray, a railroad worker, who drifts on to the Bowery to have a drunken spree after a long bout of laying tracks and then falls in with a band of drunks who help him spend his money. Ray, the "new guy on the Bowery," whose biceps still fill out his sleeves, looks preoccupied as he enters the "Confidence Bar & Grill". Surrounded by various alcoholics in advanced states of decay, he buys them rounds of drinks, then blacks out on his first night, and wakes up to discover that his suitcase has been stolen. The thief will become the closest thing to a friend...and just like that, Ray embarks on a trip to hell, becoming part of the Bowery. In a series of Beckettian portraits, the protagonists, congregations of winos, listless listeners, blubber through numerous bar scenes, games of dominos around a flophouse stove, and a sermon at the Bowery Mission. Will Ray find his way out of this uncaring urban jungle?

On the Bowery (1956) - Amazon

Frederico Fellini

I've seen this. I checked it out after I read somewhere that Paul showed it to Joaquin as research for his character. 

It's pretty good, I really liked it a lot. Aside from the heartbreaking reality, one of my favorite things about it was the music. It honestly has one of the best scores I have ever heard on any movie, it's just so enigmatic and strong. PTA probably showed it to Greenwood as well for inspiration, a lot of those pieces of music sound like they would be right at home in "The Master".
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

jenkins

For LA I always think of Killer of Sheep and The Exiles, and for NY I always think of On the Bowery and Little Fugitive. Four of my very favs right there.