A Decade Under the Influence

Started by EL__SCORCHO, April 18, 2003, 08:26:12 PM

lamas

I was curious about the whole release date too.  I thought I was pulling a fast one by renting it from Netflix a couple weeks ago.  After seeing A Decade... I rented Targets from Netflix and thought it was great.  Anyone else seen it?

coffeebeetle

I blind bought it but haven't had the time to watch it.  I have a feeling I'm going to be depressed after watching it...even though I wasn't old enough to see all of these wonderful things happening in cinema, I feel a certain nostalgia for the whole era when I see all the shit out there today.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

modage

watched this movie for the second time this weekend when IFC re-ran it and although i appreciate it, its just not informative enough.  even at 3 hours, they barely have time to skim what was going on.  it really needs to be like 10 (ken burns style) and they need to spend more time getting the backgrounds of all the major directors/films etc.  notably absent interviewees who could've helped make it closer to perfect are Spielberg, Lucas, Beatty, Dunaway, DePalma, uhh, much more etc.  which is unfortunate that eventually these guys are all gonna die and there wont be a comprehensive doc out there because it was too late to get all these guys interviewed.  although its better than the Easy Riders movie it still misses entire directors like uhh, Stanley Kubrick?  did 2001 not open the door for 70s movies?  or clockwork orange (that gets only a poster shoutout).  and really like mentioned, it needed to chronicle how it all came to an end much better than it did.  so, its interesting, but just not nearly in-depth enough.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: themodernage02watched this movie for the second time this weekend when IFC re-ran it and although i appreciate it, its just not informative enough.  even at 3 hours, they barely have time to skim what was going on.  it really needs to be like 10 (ken burns style) and they need to spend more time getting the backgrounds of all the major directors/films etc.  notably absent interviewees who could've helped make it closer to perfect are Spielberg, Lucas, Beatty, Dunaway, DePalma, uhh, much more etc.  which is unfortunate that eventually these guys are all gonna die and there wont be a comprehensive doc out there because it was too late to get all these guys interviewed.  although its better than the Easy Riders movie it still misses entire directors like uhh, Stanley Kubrick?  did 2001 not open the door for 70s movies?  or clockwork orange (that gets only a poster shoutout).  and really like mentioned, it needed to chronicle how it all came to an end much better than it did.  so, its interesting, but just not nearly in-depth enough.
Yeah, I thought so too. It serves as a great introduction into that era of film history, or film history in general. I'd love to learn more about the 70s films and, unfortunately, this doc went more in depth than any of the film classes at my university.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

I rented this, i'd seen it awhile ago, but was half asleep but finally found a video store that carries it. But it won't play!! Not cause it's scratched or anything, but it won't even start up. It starts spinning then makes this weird sound like it's caught on something. Everything else plays FINE. I put in Sisters, Sideways, High And Low, Some CD's and they all play fine. What's the deal? This is the only DVD that has ever done this, anyone else expierence this same problem with this DVD?

Also, the DVD looks fine, there is nothing noticeable on it that would prevent it from playing. It is in pristine condition.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

atticus jones

Quote from: StefenI rented this, i'd seen it awhile ago, but was half asleep but finally found a video store that carries it. But it won't play!! Not cause it's scratched or anything, but it won't even start up. It starts spinning then makes this weird sound like it's caught on something. Everything else plays FINE. I put in Sisters, Sideways, High And Low, Some CD's and they all play fine. What's the deal? This is the only DVD that has ever done this, anyone else expierence this same problem with this DVD?

Also, the DVD looks fine, there is nothing noticeable on it that would prevent it from playing. It is in pristine condition.

step away from the bong cheech...

this is the second time tonight stefen has od'd on me...tyme to bring some new shit jack
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Stefen

Shut it, chump change. Got Stroke?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.