Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

MacGuffin

PLEASE, GOD, KILL ME NOW!!!!
:brickwall:  :brickwall:  :brickwall:

The Vine: 'Birds' to fly again in Uni remake

"The Birds," Alfred Hitchcock's classic 1963 horror tale, looks to be taking flight again as a Universal Pictures remake. Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes shingle is in negotiations to produce the film with Peter Guber though his Mandalay Pictures banner. The new version would be based on the short story by Daphne Du Maurier, to which Universal owns the rights and which inspired Hitchcock's movie. Tippi Hedren starred in the original thriller about increasingly vicious birds that terrorize a small town. It won't be the first time Universal, which was Hitchcock's home for the latter part of the producer-director's career, has been part of a remake of the master. In 1998, Gus Van Sant directed a scene-for-scene remake of "Psycho" for the studio. That same year, Warner Bros. Pictures and Koppelson Entertainment turned out "A Perfect Murder," based on the play that inspired Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder." And at Warners -- underscoring the rage for Hitchcock remakes -- the studio is mounting a new version of "Strangers on a Train," based on the Patricia Highsmith novel that was the basis for the Hitchcock film. Platinum -- run by Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller -- is no stranger to the remake genre itself. Its most recent offering, "The Amityville Horror," has taken in more than $43 million after two weekends at the domestic boxoffice. Platinum remade "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" and recently set up a remake of "The Hitcher" with Focus Features to be released through Focus' genre label, Rogue Pictures.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

It's another attempt by Hitchcock lovers to illustrate via remake how great the originals really are....

Ravi

I kind of want to see a Strangers on a Train remake.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviI kind of want to see a Strangers on a Train remake.

BANNED!!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravia Strangers on a Train remake
Quote from: Ravikind of

Chrisdarko

Alright heres an Idea for some hollywood execs. Don't remake Strangers on a train or any hitchcock movie. Why not invest some money in to advertising and re-release the film wide you could do that with hitchcock ford kurosawa any of the old greats just re-release them into the theater were they were meant to be seen in the first place but for GOD sakes don't remake a classic. Please I beg you don't remake any more hitchcock
let me remember him through his old movies   :crazyeyes: .
(sobs into hands)

MacGuffin

Gordon spies 'Look' remake
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Mark Gordon is planning to produce a remake of "Don't Look Now" for Paramount Pictures.

The 1973 film, directed by Nicolas Roeg and based on a story by Daphne Du Maurier, created a sensation in the early '70s thanks to a highly erotic love scene featuring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie.

Andrea Berloff will write the screenplay for the adaptation, which centers on a couple, John and Laura Baxter, who go to Venice, Italy, to recuperate after the sudden death of their daughter only to encounter strange visions that suggest their daughter's presence.

Gordon is producing through his Mark Gordon Co., with senior vp Josh McLaughlin overseeing for the Mark Gordon Co.

Paramount executives Wendy Japhet and Edward Goemans are overseeing for the studio.

McLaughlin said he and Gordon took the arrival of the new production team at Paramount as an opportunity to review titles in the Paramount library with an eye toward remakes. "I've always been a big fan of 'Don't Look Now,' and we thought it was a movie that could be updated. We owe a lot to Andrea Berloff, who (took the idea) and hit the ground running with the movie's ideas of death and life and looking for something just beyond life."

The original film, Gordon added, "was very much of its time, with a lot of atmospherics that wouldn't necessarily work today. But it has a great idea and a wonderful backdrop and setting. We hope to take the feeling of the story, continue to set it in Venice and make it contemporary."

Gordon recently completed filming "Casanova," starring Heath Ledger and directed by Lasse Hallstrom, for Walt Disney Studios in Venice, and despite the logistical challenges the waterlogged city presents, he hopes to return there to film "Don't Look Now." "The setting is part of what made the original movie," Gordon said.

The Mark Gordon Co. also produces the ABC series "Grey's Anatomy" with Touchstone Television. Gordon also is developing two other projects at Paramount, a new version of "The Ten Commandments" and "Killing Pablo," with Joe Carnahan as director.

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Quote from: MacGuffin

"The Birds," Alfred Hitchcock's classic 1963 horror tale, looks to be taking flight again as a Universal Pictures remake. Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes shingle is in negotiations to produce the film with Peter Guber though his Mandalay Pictures banner.

I think this ulitmately proves that Michael Bay has never had an original fucking thought pass through his head.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

thadius sterling

Micheal Bay to make TRANSFORMERS

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/

Plot Outline: A live-action version of the original Transformers TV series involves an alien race of robots called the Autobots and the Decepticons crash landing on Earth where they battle for the ultimate power source: Energon.

This is perhaps the worst greenlit project I've heard about, asside from remakes (this could arguably be concidered a remake though). What pisses me off the most is Bay is one of the few studio directors with the right to Final Cut, as if he would actually need to preserve something for artistic integrity. But seriously, a live action version of Transformers? Come ON! I guess Bay would know how to do it though, since he is himself a ROBOT IN DISGUISE!

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I think he posted that in the correct thread, though.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

thadius sterling

Pubrick

Quote from: thadius sterlingit was still a funny picture I made :(
yeah, i was gonna say.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Madonna Wants to Direct a Film

Madonna says she would like to follow the lead of her husband, filmmaker Guy Ritchie, and direct a movie of her own.

The pop singer will appear in a documentary about her life, "I'm Going To Tell You A Secret," which will air Dec. 1 on Britain's Channel 4 television.

"I would love to direct a film. I felt very inspired by making this movie, and I learned a lot about filmmaking and storytelling. I would like to do it on my own next time," she said in an interview broadcast Sunday with Channel 4.

Madonna said her 9-year-old daughter, Lourdes, is a good singer and dancer, and would one day follow in her footsteps.

Asked about her horse riding accident in England this summer, which broke her collarbone and cracked three ribs, Madonna said: "I don't want to go there. I get flashbacks. I'm just starting to feel better."

Skeleton FilmWorks