wachowski thread ready for a title change

Started by pete, May 03, 2004, 11:28:49 AM

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobHow do you tell a joke about this?

INT. OFFICE

JOE
So Bill, did you hear about that guy from the Matrix changing his sex?

BILL
No,  Neo?

JOE
No, one of the directors.

BILL
Oh well, with all that money,  he can change his sex anytime he wants , can't he? HAHAHAHAHA, oh... I'm priceless, my wife says I should do stand-up.

THE END.
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetits safe to say no one here really identifies with his fantasy so I think this subject is really open to all jokes.

How do you tell a joke about this?  I mean you can say anything, but really nothing is funnier (i.e. - more twisted) than actually thinking about what the hell is going on.

It's really not funny, though. The fact that no one identifies with this is exactly why it shouldn't be mocked. Whether or not you think sex change operations are a valid solution is a moot point; I doubt most, if any, of us have ever been so dissatisfied with ourselves that advanced cosmetic surgery has been an option we'd consider.

Don't get me wrong, I can find humor in the subject -- case in point, I'll laugh during 'Hedwig,' or during 'All About My Mother.' But that's a clear case of laughing with and not at.

MacGuffin

Larry wants to be a dominmatrix.  :yabbse-cheesy:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

So far, all the jokes have been about the relation between him and The Matrix franchise. I don't see anything wrong with joking this way, nor do I see anything wrong with anyone wanting to change his sex.  Takes all kinds of people to make a world.

SHAFTR

---------
Knock Knock

Who's there?

Larry

Larry who?

Larriana
--------

LOL2000! :-D
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SHAFTR

---------
Knock Knock

Who's there?

Larry

Larry who?

Larriana
--------

LOL2000! :-D

Eheheheh
Si

Raikus

Quote from: cowboykurtisill be curious to see if this affects his career -- will people be hesitant to work with him?
Depends on if they saw Revolutions.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

mogwai

the matrix

the matrix reloaded

the matrix revolutions

Ghostboy

Quote from: cronopioSo far, all the jokes have been about the relation between him and The Matrix franchise. I don't see anything wrong with joking this way, nor do I see anything wrong with anyone wanting to change his sex.  Takes all kinds of people to make a world.

Yeah, I was just responding to the 'it's okay to ridicule' comment.

Looks like a whim. I don't know,  I also don't see a reason why should I feel sorry for making fun of this.  Seriously,  having a sex-change must be the hardest thing in the world.
(I don't see a lot of shit , hehe)

FRANCIS:
Or sister. Where was I?
REG:
I think you'd finished.
FRANCIS:
Oh. Right.
REG:
Furthermore, it is the birthright of every man--
STAN:
Or woman.
REG:
Why don't you shut up about women, Stan. You're putting us off.
STAN:
Women have a perfect right to play a part in our movement, Reg.
FRANCIS:
Why are you always on about women, Stan?

STAN:
I want to be one.

REG:
What?
STAN:
I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.
REG:
What?!
LORETTA:
It's my right as a man.

JUDITH:
Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?
LORETTA:
I want to have babies.
REG:
You want to have babies?!
LORETTA:
It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
REG:
But... you can't have babies.
LORETTA:
Don't you oppress me.
REG:
I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!
LORETTA:
[crying]
JUDITH:
Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.
FRANCIS:
Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister. Sorry.
REG:
What's the point?
FRANCIS:
What?
REG:
What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't have babies?!
FRANCIS:
It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression.
REG:
Symbolic of his struggle against reality.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

whoa just today, the topic of sex change had been brought to my attention three times (average number of times per day the topic of sex change gets brought to my attention: zero)--once on the net, and twice a TV, all within the same hour.  They ran a trailer for a documentary on sex change on Showtime, and the Sundance channel had just finished showing a movie about that.  Weird.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: petewhoa just today, the topic of sex change had been brought to my attention three times (average number of times per day the topic of sex change gets brought to my attention: zero)--once on the net, and twice a TV, all within the same hour.  They ran a trailer for a documentary on sex change on Showtime, and the Sundance channel had just finished showing a movie about that.  Weird.
I watched Barry Lyndon on Saturday, and on Sunday NPR played music from the movie twice separately.

That's a Jungian thing. You tend to be more perceptive about things while you're fresh about something. For example, when you learn a new word, the next day you'll probably read something that has that word and you'll actually understand it, unlike previous times, where you simply ignored the word.

That's also the reason why a lot of people think that they can communicate with dead people.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetits safe to say no one here really identifies with his fantasy so I think this subject is really open to all jokes.

How do you tell a joke about this?  I mean you can say anything, but really nothing is funnier (i.e. - more twisted) than actually thinking about what the hell is going on.

It's really not funny, though. The fact that no one identifies with this is exactly why it shouldn't be mocked. Whether or not you think sex change operations are a valid solution is a moot point; I doubt most, if any, of us have ever been so dissatisfied with ourselves that advanced cosmetic surgery has been an option we'd consider.

Don't get me wrong, I can find humor in the subject -- case in point, I'll laugh during 'Hedwig,' or during 'All About My Mother.' But that's a clear case of laughing with and not at.

Let me just say this: what I originally said was just a joke! Meant nothing serious about it.