New DVDs???

Started by Keener, September 10, 2003, 07:33:57 PM

tpfkabi

i have not received that e-mail at this time, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense.

people have been able to buy the box in stores, right?

if so, that negates the push back release date excuse.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

From The Digital Bits:

Now then... let's talk Warner's new Stanley Kubrick box set. There are a number of issues bring reported by readers today, and we're getting asked a lot of questions about the discs. First issue: A lot of readers are reporting shortages of the discs - both high-def versions and the DVD box set. Amazon is apparently warning customers of delays in shipping the Blu-ray versions. Our local Best Buys here in Orange County, CA had plenty of the high-def versions today, but the DVD box sets are in short supply. Other retailers have low or no stock of either or both high-def versions, etc. I just got off the phone with Warner, and they're telling me that ALL orders from distributors have shipped out, so retailers should have plenty of copies of everything soon. Warner isn't commenting yet on the reasons for the delay and street date shortages, but industry sources are telling us privately that the studio recently switched to a new software fulfillment/distribution system, and that change over is reportedly causing some delays and logistical hiccups.

Another issue: The Eyes Wide Shut discs (all formats - as originally announced back in July) were supposed to include scene specific audio commentary by Sydney Pollack and historian Peter Loewenberg. They do not, although upon checking, a revised spec list sent to us on 9/1 had already omitted the commentary. However, neither do these discs include the theatrical version as expected, so if you want that too, you need to keep your original DVD. Studio reps have suggested to us that this may have been a disc space issue, but we're expecting official word soon. The problem with this notion is that the Blu-ray Disc version should certainly have had the room to include the other cut of the film (via seamless branching as planned). Frankly, the HD-DVD version should have had room enough as well. But we're expecting to find out from the studio exactly what happened tomorrow. Unfortunately, we have been informed that (for whatever reason) the theatrical version WAS dropped from the disc and the packaging wasn't corrected to reflect this. We're told that future copies will have corrected packaging, which means that the branching feature will NOT be part of the release.

The other question a lot of people have had, is why Kubrick's Lolita and Barry Lyndon weren't included in the set. This may be due to the possibility that the films required additional remastering work... or it could have been just a bad decision made by the studio in thinking that fans wouldn't care if they were missing. Again, we've asked the studio why the films weren't included in the set (and separately on high-def) and we hope to hear back tomorrow.

Given all of the above, you might be asking still ANOTHER obvious question: Why didn't The Bits warn its readers about any of these issues before the discs came out? And believe me, we would have had we known. Unfortunately, we didn't get review copies of these discs until just yesterday... and then not all of them. We're just as frustrated as you are, believe me. As I said, we'll try to have some answers for you on all this issues as soon as possible.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

It's official:

Warner hates Stanley Kubrick.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

tpfkabi

i've seen pics of the set - the Shining case doesn't even match the rest of the set

Chest Rockwell

It's also the worst cover out of a whole slew of bad packaging. Something other than just discs would have also been nice - an essay booklet or even some inserts (well, to be fair, they did include a Warner mini-catalog!).

grand theft sparrow

Count your blessings, Chesty.  At least you have the box set in your hands. 

Quote from: Ravi on October 24, 2007, 11:09:37 AM
Mine still says "in fulfillment."

Anyone else have this too?  Should I just go looking for this thing in the real world or do you think we're getting this sometime this year?

Quote from: john on October 24, 2007, 08:37:36 PM
It's official:

Warner hates people who like Stanley Kubrick.

MacGuffin

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on October 25, 2007, 11:09:11 AM
Quote from: Ravi on October 24, 2007, 11:09:37 AM
Mine still says "in fulfillment."

Anyone else have this too?  Should I just go looking for this thing in the real world or do you think we're getting this sometime this year?

Same here too.

I'm thinking of getting it at Best Buy so I can start enjoying it, then, when (if?) the Family Video one comes, return that one to BB to get a full refund.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I'm just going to wait for Family Video to ship it.  Hopefully I'm not halfway through Berlin Alexanderplatz by the time it arrives.

grand theft sparrow

I just got an e-mail 15 minutes ago that it shipped!  Today's payday for me, so I was planning on doing Mac's Best Buy idea.  But I can wait 5-10 business days.

tpfkabi

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on October 26, 2007, 07:54:48 AM
I just got an e-mail 15 minutes ago that it shipped!  Today's payday for me, so I was planning on doing Mac's Best Buy idea.  But I can wait 5-10 business days.

i have not got that e-mail yet...

the thing with the Best Buy idea - wouldn't they expect a Best Buy price tag to still be on it?

grand theft sparrow

Not if you bought it as a gift for someone but they already had it.

edison

I have not received the email yet, but I checked my account at the site and it says that it has also been shipped.

tpfkabi

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on October 26, 2007, 08:22:21 AM
Not if you bought it as a gift for someone but they already had it.

i see, you pulled it off so they wouldn't know the price.

has anyone done this before?

i'm guessing bar codes aren't individualized? meaning, they wouldn't run the bar code and look at your receipt and know this wasn't the one that left the store.

Chest Rockwell

You could try peeling off the sticker from the Best Buy copy before opening it and affixing it to the one you ordered when it comes in.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas on October 26, 2007, 10:00:26 AMi'm guessing bar codes aren't individualized? meaning, they wouldn't run the bar code and look at your receipt and know this wasn't the one that left the store.

Nope. The scan of the bar code will only bring up what the property is, like in the future when we'll all have them tattooed on the back of our shaved heads.

I have received no email, it still says "In Fulfillment" and my bank account has not been charged.

EDIT: I called Family Video to ask the status. He told me Warner had a problem with getting the stock out to the Fam Vid warehouses, but one of the warehouses now had them in. He switched my order to that warehouse and it should ship out by the end of the day. I also asked about the $5 coupon if it was a credit to this order, or a credit to my account for a future order. He said that when this ships out, they would issue a refund back to my credit card.

Skeleton FilmWorks