Memorable theater experiences

Started by rustinglass, October 01, 2003, 01:30:02 PM

Teen Wolf

You know what's sad? Most of my memorable theatre-going experiences are for movies that suck. Titanic is one because it was the first date I went on w/ this girl who I really liked. Star Wars Episode One is another because I saw it with my dad, whom I don't actually see very often anymore.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

28 Days Later was going on in the background of my grope fest with my X.  Isn't it weird to say X afterwards, because when you refer to them as X, it sounds like they were your X at the time, and that's just confusing...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Vile5

When i went to watch Rainman, maybe it was the happiest day of my life, simple but beautiful, that day i could have three things i loved with all my soul and my heart: my mother, my brother and a movie, all in the same place, at the same time...

The first time i watched Magnolia. For first time in my life i felt identify with a sricpt, for first time a scriptwriter said many things i always thought about life, world, or love, someone wrote things as "Life isn't short", or that beautiful "i love you and i'm sick"  i remember that day as the day i fell in love with the mind of a filmmaker called Paul Thomas Anderson...

When i watched 12 Mokeys, i went to an old theatre what was almost derelict, and i was the only one in the room, the afternoon was sad (i don't remember why), you but everything was strange, since the movie still the man who open the exit door, still now i wonder if that was a dream or it really happened, anyway i loved the movie and the memory...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Cecil

once, i was on my own (but the thaeter wasnt empty) and i noticed that my shoe was untied. this was before the movie or previews had started. so i bring my foot up and try to tie it but i had some trouble with it (i had to get it right, or else it undoes itself very easily, stupid weird show lase). anyway, so while fiddling with my show lace for 2 minutes i thought to myself "gee, this must look weird to the people sitting in back of me." indeed people were whispering and gasping, finally someone comes down and looks into my alley, then walks back up and says to the others "oh, hes just tying his shoe lase." there was a collective sigh of relief

Banky

pookiethecat

Seeing Ghost Ship was great.  people were completely into it, screaming in terror, "whoa"-ing at the appropriate times.

Seeing PDL both times in the theater was terribly depressing.  All senior citizens snickering during the entire movie.  I felt really defensive of the movie.

Bowling for Columbine was memorable if just for the fact that I dropped a whole package of Lemonheads and they scattered down the aisle.    

Far From Heaven just because I really felt like the audience "got" it.  Afterwards, I was talking to an old lady about it.  She was moved to tears by how accurate the social constraints were to her experiences in the 50's.  Very interesting.

...Watching Requiem for a Dream on my tiny tv with my friend who moved away...

Watching Magnolia with my brother, whose opinion I really respect and seeing him enjoy it.

Watching Donnie Darko at my bday party and seeing that this weird esoteric movie could appeal to my mainstream friends.

Definitely the worst viewing experience I've ever had was watching Deliverance with my male friend. The rape scenes were terrible.
i wanna lick 'em.

SHAFTR

At a film festival I saw "The Real Old Testament".  It was the funniest movie I had ever seen and I'm still hoping it someday gets a dvd treatment.  The filmmakers were there and I talked to him afterwards, very nice guys.

Edit:
Clip of film.
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2421264
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Well..I have a couple..

1.0  seeing Pulp fiction..i went in thinking it was bruce willis action film.. :roll:
2.0  star wars -a new hope and and empire.re-releases
3.0  gangs.
4.0  hudson hawk..i t was the only time the entire theatre was empty besides me.

5.0  south park..the first 20mins..  I have never heard an entire theatre laugh so much

Weak2ndAct

I forgot Pulp Fiction, thanks for the reminder, Neon.  I saw it the first night it was out in a packed house.  I was still not old enough to but the tickets at the time, so I had my dad do it.  The crowd reaction was beyond belief.  They got it-- and loved it.  I walked out of the movie in a daze.  When my dad picked me up, he asked how the movie was.  I said it was one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and it was gonna change everything.  He laughed and said I hadn't seen that many movies yet.

prophet

i had sex with two girls in a cinema once.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Cecil

with the lights so low, who knows WHAT you had sex with

thedog

Watching the midnight showing of Attack of the Clones was quite an experience. The theater was packed and everyone was really really liking it. It even received a standing ovation at the end. I don't know why everyone decided to hate it a couple weeks afterwards...

The first time I saw Bowling For Columbine I saw it with two friends. We went into the theater on December 31st 2002, came out of the theater on January 1st 2003.

Cecil

why did you stay in so long? got lost, huh?

snaporaz

mine was probably the first time i saw pulp fiction. i was thirteen, and had my mother drop me off at the theater. she bought my ticket for me. i saw it alone.

after that, everything changed. that was the movie that made me realize how great movies can be.

after that...eh.

as for a great experience, in terms of how fun the audience was...it would have to be the third time i saw panic room [yes, i loved it that much].

this was at the dollar cinema. now, normally, i hate the types that hang out at the dollar cinema. a bunch of mexicans and junior high kids with nothing better to do than hang out there with their entire families and have their babies cry all through the screening. normally, this is a bad thing, but this time it was awesome.

everyone was so vocal about the movie; they weren't talking to eachother or anything. they were just so into the movie. like when foster knocked over the lamp, everyone was like "gghghdsddaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwdddddd!11111111111".

it was so wierd, and funny. throughout the movie, it was nothing but oohs and ahhhs. bottom line: it's fun being with an audience that's into the movie, and nothing else.

unfortunately, i don't get to experience things like this. i'm sure you guys that have the luck of living near arthouses get to do this all the time.