Clerks Cartoon

Started by Banky, February 02, 2004, 10:12:40 PM

Banky

the show was on ABC and then was cancelled.  The commentary on all 6 DVD's are really entertaining.  I dig the show and i think a lot of others have to.  

A Clerks cartoon movie was in consideration but now Smith has decided to go the straight to DVD route.

"Kevin and company have pretty much decided on the direct to DVD approach for the Clerks animated films. They contemplated a college campus release of the flicks but ultimately have decided that direct to DVD is cheaper, faster, and a more direct route towards the intended customers. He also mentioned the possibility of doing one every year"

Some flash test animation is located here

http://viewaskew.com/clerkstest/

billybrown

The show had it's moments, but they were very few and far between.
I'd put it in the lower rung of Kevin Smith's work, joined happily with Mall rats.

freakerdude

Quote from: billybrownThe show had it's moments, but they were very few and far between.
I'd put it in the lower rung of Kevin Smith's work, joined happily with Mall rats.
I couldn't have said it any better.....especially with the Mallrats ref.
MC Pee Pants

SHAFTR

The show only had 6 episodes.  Watch the first 6 episodes from any major primetime cartoon and you'll notice they have many problems.  I really think this show was starting to hit a stride in the latter episodes.  There is some really good stuff in it.  I personally love the Bear Who Drives Car bit the most.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

billybrown

Quote from: SHAFTRThe show only had 6 episodes.  Watch the first 6 episodes from any major primetime cartoon and you'll notice they have many problems.  I really think this show was starting to hit a stride in the latter episodes.  There is some really good stuff in it.  I personally love the Bear Who Drives Car bit the most.

I do like some of Kevin Smith's work, but when you have to censor his style for network TV like the Clerks cartoon, it loses a lot and isn't even close to reaching the wit and biting humour of shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and The Critic.

Tommy Both

Why does everybody always slam MALLRATS??
It has the best Kevin Smith dialogue!

Breakfast, shmreakfast.Breakfasts, come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brandi: Suitor number 3, is your kiss like a soft breeze, a firm handshake or a jackhammer?
Gil Hicks: Definitely a jackhammer, I'm in there with some pressure and when I'm done, you're not the same as before. You're changed.
Brodie: Where do you come up with this shit? That's the cheesiest response to an honest question I have ever heard. I saw you kiss and it wasn't anything like that.
Bob Summers: [Chuckling] Suitor #2, you'll have to wait until you're addressed before you respond.
Brodie: Hey Richard Dawson, just sit there until it's time to go back and play The Feud. All right?
[Audience laughs]
Gil Hicks: Who the hell did you see me kiss?
Brodie: Some dude backstage. I don't know who he was but he seemed unimpressed.
Gil Hicks: I didn't kiss any guy backstage. I swear. I'm not gay.
Brodie: Hey, Suitorette, this guys a homophobe. You heard how repulsed he sounded. Is this the kind of guy you want to spend a vacation with? This hate-monger?
Gil Hicks: I don't hate gay people.
Brodie: So you love them?
Gil Hicks: Yes. I mean no.
Brodie: Textbook closet case self-loather. Can't be comfortable with his own sexuality.

fuck this quoting man, just check out imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113749/quotes

Alethia

Quote from: tommy_bothWhy does everybody always slam MALLRATS??

umm....because we think it sucks?

SHAFTR

Quote from: eward
Quote from: tommy_bothWhy does everybody always slam MALLRATS??

umm....because we think it sucks?

Mallrats is what it is, and what it is, is very funny.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

That's just it.  It's "funny."  I get as many cheap laughs out of it as I do Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but that in no way makes either of them cinematic masterpieces.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Banky

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobThat's just it.  It's "funny."  I get as many cheap laughs out of it as I do Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but that in no way makes either of them cinematic masterpieces.

so relevant

El Duderino

i really laughed hard at the episode where they make fun of Beverly Hills Cop with Judge Reinhold as a......judge. and they do the thing with eddie murphy and all he does is that laugh. also, everything with Charles Barkley. oh and, the japanimation part is fantastic.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Quote from: El Duderinoi really laughed hard at the episode where they make fun of Beverly Hills Cop with Judge Reinhold as a......judge. and they do the thing with eddie murphy and all he does is that laugh. also, everything with Charles Barkley. oh and, the japanimation part is fantastic.

yeah, that Eddie Murphy bit is gold. I'm sorry we're all out of bananas.
context, context, context.