Confirmed PDL DVD Info

Started by depooter, March 27, 2003, 04:09:00 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyDavid Lynch to this day hasn't revealed how he made the baby in Eraserhead, and I think that makes the film that much more special.

"I hate talking about how things are done. It's like a magic trick. As soon as people know how it was done, they say, 'Oh.' The curiosity instantly vanishes." David Lynch

More here. Click on pic:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

The sound mix is gonna kick ass. Screw the woman who said it was too loud.

In some ways a comentary would have been nice because it connects the director with his fans, but what we have here is even better cause we know PTA had us in mind when making it.

This inside a Blake painitng, menu navigation sounds really cool too.

One thing. Please say there are some Jeremy Blake style 'coloured bars' to 'get those whites white and those blacks black'  :wink:
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Disco Stu

Why was it pushed from April to June when all of the "features" were already available?
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

Ghostboy

budgie

Guess the region 2 will be out around about Christmas 2004, then.  :(  A long time to wait to rediscover the beauty.

I think PTA is a doll for what he's doing. Commentaries are overrated in my book, and PDL especially would be diminished by one, just like when I started thinking about fucking Freud last time and it made the whole film seem less.

I like deleted/alternate scenes and artwork, so I'm happy.  :yabbse-lamp:

Jeremy Blackman

I'm very happy. A documentary would have been really nice, but then... I'm not sure "That Moment" added anything to Magnolia, and a commentary would probably be wrong in this situation... It was right for Sydney and BN, but PDL is more... mysterious... and should stay that way.

Duck Sauce

Yeah, I am less crushed by the no commentary now that I have slept on it. Magnolia and PDL are totally different types of movies than BN and Sydney, where there is really nothing for the viewer to figure out, especially on repeat viewings. But a behind the scenes would have been nice. Did they actually have any behind the scenes footage, and just chose not to use it? Or did they not even bother from the get go.

SHAFTR

Commentaries and Documentaries are a double edged sword.  They are good b/c you find out a lot of behind the scenes action.  They are bad for the same reason, instead of watching the movie for the story, I am watching it for the construction of it.  This isn't always a bad thing but once you watch a film once for the construction, it is difficult to get back to the story again.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

BackUpOffMeFoo

To all Premature Exasperators...

Mattress man commercial alone is worth the price of admission.

Seriously

D
Serious?

depooter

I'll have the DVD back cover art, a special message from PTA about the release (it's fucking classic) and more up later tonight on the site..I can say this, I don't know what the two deleted sequences are, but I asked PTA about the salvation army scene and that's not one of them. He said the scene was nothing, nothing there and he knew right after he filmed it.......I expect more substance on those two included.....

thanks
Greg
www.ptanderson.com
www.theuncool.com

Nicholas Vargo

I am psyched that it's finally coming out. I understand "no commentary" and "no documentary", so it's cool. I posted this information about the DVD release at Home Theater Forum and many people are, in my opnion overreacting to the no commentary and no documnetary. "Magnolia" didn't have a commentary and I didn't mind, and about the documentary, I only watched parts of it when I rented it about a month or two ago. So I'm not complaining about it.

BTW, I only saw the movie once in the theater and I can't remember where the Mattress Man commercial appeared in the film. Can somebody tell me where it appears in the film?
I have so much strength in me, you have no idea.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: Sheriff LawlessnessTo all Premature Exasperators...

Mattress man commercial alone is worth the price of admission.

Seriously

D

Oh yeah, I overlooked that the first time...that does sound kind of cool. If it's half as funny as the Frank TJ Mackey seminar thing on the Magnolia DVD, I'm can't wait to see it.

I've come to look forward to it a little more after reading the ptanderson.com bit about it today I gotta admit...the part about it supposedly being "bizzare and abstract", that sounds cool. I've been getting kinda sick of the lack of creativity in DVD's.

I'm looking forward to it a little bit more now. Sleeping on it really helped me too like Duck Sauce was saying. I like not really knowing what to expect with this one.

Oh, also...Newtron, I just saw your post just a second ago tough guy, get off my back man. I can be disappointed if I want. I'm not the only one that is. And I said I was still going to buy it...I would have bought it had it been barebones. I am much happier about it now. The ptanderson thing really cleared it up.

Markyboy

What I am happy about:

The Dolby Digital EX AND dts

Really needed, for a movie where the sound is so much more important than most movies in telling the story and creating feeling

The back cover

It's nice artwork and it's not covered with usual DVD dribble about animated menus and scene selection.
A shiny, gold, tall, inexpensive prick.