Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

N

jenkins

Being "dangerous" with my sharing here, but gleefully so that's just ridiculous and what I'm up to. Recently I cruised through songs by notable new emo bands that I considered this because Noisey mentioned them in their article with Chris Carrabba as their guest on this topic. Listening to these bands was difficult for me, sometimes I was grumpy with this music, since as an adult I'm hoping these kids have brighter futures. Part of the charm is meant to be kids making up what music can be. That's not always impressive, of course. These kids need Queen in their lives. But their intention is the same intention of much music, to draw with music the shape of a person. Point is, this is the song out of all the songs I listened to which appealed to me the most, and it's still a dangerous song to recommend, this video includes the lyrics, I think you can multi-tab this sucker, and

I recommend hanging in there until the chorus:

wilder

N

Robyn

according to lastfm this are some f my 10 favorite songs the past 6 monts.

1. probably my favorite song for a long time.

2. it's folk punk! it's ghost mice!

3.  i'll listen to this lying in the grass with a cold soda in my hand.

4. swedish punk. I guess.

bonus:

5. joy division on happy pills. 

6. still waiting.

7. sing along, guys! come on.

8. everything sucks. and here is why:

9.  lo-fiiiiiiiiiiii

10. sad and cozy. somebody sang it on twd according to the yt-comments.

Garam

R Stevie Moore!! Hell yeah. I'd give you all my upvotes if I could.

jenkins

Garam you didn't give one goddamn upvote I tellya that's a Garam moment, you're such a Garam. Very mysterious. Loch Ness. You're actually the Loch Ness monster: science

Waits and Goats and Waxa are artists I listen to often. Waxa breaks my heart a bit now. I mentioned "Tango Till They're Sore" in a recent poem-like thing of mine. I often listen to a classic Goats song, which whenever I hear someone play I'm like, easy pick, you know, great job at playing the obvious song to play, except also I forgive this song because I do find myself coming back to it anyway:

Robyn

Quote from: Garam on July 13, 2015, 01:49:53 PM
R Stevie Moore!! Hell yeah. I'd give you all my upvotes if I could.

what album should I start with? I only like a few songs so far.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 13, 2015, 02:05:44 PM
Waits and Goats and Waxa are artists I listen to often. Waxa breaks my heart a bit now. I mentioned "Tango Till They're Sore" in a recent poem-like thing of mine. I often listen to a classic Goats song, which whenever I hear someone play I'm like, easy pick, you know, great job at playing the obvious song to play, except also I forgive this song because I do find myself coming back to it anyway:

I hear ya! its the best song ever from my favorite band ever. I introduced a friend to that song once and two hours later we had painted the lyrics on his walls. I also tattooed "get lonely" on my arm when I was drunk and stupid and wanted to get a stick and poke. have a lot of good memories to that band.

jenkins

the other song you mentioned:

the original song you mentioned off Full Force Galesburg made me think of Full Force Galesburg, which I appreciated since that's such a good album with many of my favorite songs of his, including "Twin Human Highway Flares", but it's littered with good songs including the penultimate:

I sing "I am not afraid of death/and on the television/black and white footage of the young Cassius Clay/my god/my god/my god/he was something/fists flashing as he comes toward the screen/sailing headlong into nothing/and disappearing/reappearing/out there in the clearing/floating down a slight breeze/that plays along the edges of the leaves/it's you/it's you/it's you" when I need personal power.

This is the last Mountain Goats song I went back to listen to, though, because I like it normal style and also it's got that phone thing:

Robyn

oh man, the best thing about the mountain goats is that you still found new gems to love. i'll admit that I didn't remember original air-blue gown. I think i'm gonna listen to full force falesburg tonight. it was years ago now.

you should do a top ten list and i'll try to do the same.

i've got to get you guys opinions on this because i think this is crazy and i've heard no one anywhere talk about it so far.

so i'm pretty sure that we have all heard about the whole debacle with tom petty and sam smith.
if you haven't, tom petty's people sued sam smith because they felt 'stay with me' sounded just like 'won't back down'. i agree to a certain extent, i get where they're coming from, but honestly, as  someone that's been involved with music in many different kinds of ways for decades now i can say that music is going to get progressively difficult to make original as time passes, it's kind of inevitable, i mean how much sounds are there, theoretically? the basic concept of music is pretty repetitious on a human level.. .

BUT WHY HASNT ANYBODY MENTIONED THIS SHIT:
(current radio single)

(obvious source material)

i mean seriously? you're gonna make a huge deal/lawsuit about the sam smith song, which was based more on the timing of the words in the chorus than the whole song in general (the overall sound of the two songs are completely different, its a super vague connection when you really listen to both), but i haven't heard anyone even mention this GLARING rip off yet. if i'm being crazy, let me know, but i just think this is ridiculous.

Jeremy Blackman

I think you've found something there. But legally, I think they would argue that the melody in Ed Sheeran's song is very different, and that it's the dominant element.

Other than that, they use a similar 4-chord progression, although the Snow Patrol chord progression distinguishes itself with the second chord.

Also, for fun:

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.