Freaks and Geeks DVD?

Started by Redlum, August 08, 2003, 06:30:35 AM

Redlum

Does anyone have any solid info on this great series coming out on DVD? I cant believe how the ratings on this thing could warrant a cancellation of the whole show, it was fantastic. Such a great cast and soundtrack (although I hear the payment of the rights for this is causing much of the dvd problem).

So far the only snippet of information that it maybe happening is this, from the start of july.
We're not quite sure how he did this, but Jimme actually wrote a column this week whose contents range from the upcoming Freaks and Geeks DVD (and you won't believe the price tag) that any true TV fan *must* run-not-walk to buy to 24 spoilers for next season.

There's this petition, but its been around for ages:
http://www.freaksandgeeks.com/dvd/form.php

Makes me sad when most of television is reality crap.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pubrick

Freaks and Geeks = 2nd best TV show of my youth. at least in terms of how much i wish there were more episodes. if the simpsons had been cancelled during season 5 it couldn't hav been more unjust.

no shit, just the one episode "The Little Things" should be seen by every kid in high school. fills my heart with much joy even when they dump reruns at like 2am.

doubt a dvd will happen anytime soon.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Yeah... that show was great... I only ended up seeing like six episodes, but they were really good.  I even watched the movie "Cheaters" just because it had that tall skinny dorky kid in it (played (N)Applebee in the movie, forget the character's name).

DVD would be nice, but unlikely.  Wish I could at least find some reruns of it.

MacGuffin

07.11.03: Freaks and Geeks coming to DVD
Source: Jimmy Manning - PrimetimeTV.about.com

Okay, TV fans, as promised I've got the inside scoop on a new Freaks and Geeks DVD set. But with the scoop comes some good news and some bad news. The good news: the show will almost certainly be available on DVD by Christmas time according to the show's creators. The bad news: it's going to cost around $120.00. That's right. It's crossing the century mark in terms of George Washingtons you'll have to give for it. Why the steep price? It seems the only thing that's been holding back the release of the series by a major DVD distributor at this point was the high legal fees associated with securing the rights to all of the music used in the series. "All the original music must remain intact," said Paul Feig, a writer for the series. "But (our new distributor) is with us on that."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

120?  Shit, I liked that show...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Redlum

Cheers Mac. About 18 episodes, plus there's bound to be some cool features. Im ok with the price.

Ben Stiller was so funny in 'The little things' episode.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

RegularKarate

Damn... good thing I've got Netflix and a DVD burner (um... I didn't say that)

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateDamn... good thing I've got Netflix and a DVD burner
and my home address, and plenty of good will.
under the paving stones.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: RegularKarateDamn... good thing I've got Netflix and a DVD burner (um... I didn't say that)

I still can't figure out how to rip DVD's...the few programs I have tried don't work, or unexpectantly quit mid-process....help (gulp)...

...I thought I was like the 1 veiwer this show had....it had it's moments...

RegularKarate

Quote from: P
Quote from: RegularKarateDamn... good thing I've got Netflix and a DVD burner
and my home address, and plenty of good will.

Will it get to you if I just write on the envelope:

P
You Know Where
(Not America)

Seriously tho, once this comes out (and hopefully to Netflix), PM me and we can see if we can work something out.

As far as DVD copying goes, it takes some figuring out... ACWJJ, I can help you if you have a Mac... if you have a PC though, I really have no sympathy, it's supposed to be easier to figure out.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: RegularKarateAs far as DVD copying goes, it takes some figuring out... ACWJJ, I can help you if you have a Mac... if you have a PC though, I really have no sympathy, it's supposed to be easier to figure out.
I have both.....even on my PC I have had troubles though.....it's new to me....

RegularKarate

Well, I can help ya out if you have a Mac.

does your Mac have a DVD burner?  Or are you just trying to rip the discs?

If you're trying to copy, you'll need some stuff...

DVDextractor (or something similar, thing about this one is that you have to run it in OS9) - to rip the files to your HD.

Roxio Toast - to burn 'em back to another disc.

This is all you'll need for single layer disc copying, but if you're gonna do a dual layer (and the majority of comercial DVDs are dual now days), then you're gonna need DVD Studio Pro and some patience.

What you end up doing is peeling away the layers of crap that fill up the disc (alt. languages, subtitles, DTS track, etc...) and putting everything else back together using DVD Studio Pro.  

It's quite a little project, but once you get it done once, you get a feel for it and it's pretty easy and usually worth it.

aclockworkjj

well...I don't have studio Pro....so I guess I will go the PC way....1000 thank you's though for tryin'.....I am still lost...lol....

jokerspath

Yes, this is one of the greatest and most criminally underrated television shows of the last ten years.  

Paul Feig told Variety recently that a March date can be expected for the F&G set.  Check out the F&G messageboard at the official site, where he's posted more than once about the release...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

supremelegend

Damn, I don't care at all about the price...I'd buy 'em right away