Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SiliasRuby

Yes, so excited about House of Games and the hope for sweet smell of success.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 15, 2007, 08:17:58 PM
I didn't expect House of Games. Seems like no one did, but it is a great sign.

What about Breathless?
Does this mean a lot of these Godard films with Fox Lorber releases can be acquired by Criterion as well?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on May 15, 2007, 10:03:36 PM

What about Breathless?
Does this mean a lot of these Godard films with Fox Lorber releases can be acquired by Criterion as well?

Since they have made deals with Fox Lorber already, the other Godards should come as well. This is how they got the Rohmer and Truffaut films. I think the reason you aren't seeing a greater quantity quicker is because they want to gradually release them. I think two Godard's a year is the basic policy. He is one of their premiere filmmakers so yes, I'd expect the other Godard's to eventually follow.

The only major Godard film in question is Weekend considering rights are elswhere.

Ravi

House of Games is an MGM acquisition. That company before had a policy of not licensing any films to Criterion. Many companies took that policy at the beginning of the DVD era wanting to protect their products, but now they are starting to understand that certain titles will not get exciting releases unless handled by Criterion.

Fox now controls domestic home video distribution of MGM titles, which would probably explain the licensing of MGM titles to Criterion.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 15, 2007, 10:41:13 PM
Quote from: bigideas on May 15, 2007, 10:03:36 PM

What about Breathless?

Since they have made deals with Fox Lorber already, the other Godards should come as well. This is how they got the Rohmer and Truffaut films. I think the reason you aren't seeing a greater quantity quicker is because they want to gradually release them. I think two Godard's a year is the basic policy. He is one of their premiere filmmakers so yes, I'd expect the other Godard's to eventually follow.

The only major Godard film in question is Weekend considering rights are elswhere.

Weekend was just released a year or two ago I believe. I still haven't gotten it. It seems priced kinda high.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

w/o horse

Quote from: edison on May 15, 2007, 07:48:57 PM
Bunuel's The Milky Way

Yes.!

GT what do your friends at Criterion say about The Exterminating Angel?
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on May 17, 2007, 01:15:21 PM
Quote from: edison on May 15, 2007, 07:48:57 PM
Bunuel's The Milky Way

Yes.!

GT what do your friends at Criterion say about The Exterminating Angel?

Coming. It popped up on TCM with Janus Film ahead of it.

Gold Trumpet

There may be a fourth title to be released in August. DVD Beaver announced all known titles, but also said that Breathless will be released in August as well.

There could be some consideration for this. The spine number 400 was skipped over and no title was announced for it. We could hear an annoucement soon.....

Gold Trumpet

Confirmation: Breathless will be released in August. It is spine #400.

The late annoucement is because Criterion is still debating extra features.

Gold Trumpet

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I wonder is they notice how dumb that C looks yet.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

I Don't Believe in Beatles

GT, do you know when Criterion is releasing Mala Noche?  I've seen a trailer with the Janus Films logo twice now.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ginger on June 04, 2007, 10:36:59 PM
GT, do you know when Criterion is releasing Mala Noche?  I've seen a trailer with the Janus Films logo twice now.

I'd say soon. Gus Van Sant is a priority to get into the catalogue and considering the film has been released on DVD in other regions, I'd expect they'd get on this sooner than later. But the biggest indicator is that Janus has been distributing the film theatrically as of late. Sometimes a film will appear on TCM with new Janus logos and indicate something and actually mean little, but a theatrical release means a hell of a lot.

Besides, Criterion wants to represent modern cinema more so they jump on current directors quicker than older ones. Ask any fan of Max Ophuls about that.

Cobz

Hey GT, any news on Bergman's "Face to Face"?
coin operated boy

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cobz on June 05, 2007, 11:16:27 AM
Hey GT, any news on Bergman's "Face to Face"?

No more than last reported. Criterion has acquired rights but as proven by the Eric Rohmer acquisitions before, who knows how long it will take. I think because it is Bergman we will see it released sooner instead of later. Criterion wants to represent a few titles from him every year.