wats with his dvd's?..

Started by Anonymous, January 27, 2003, 12:11:09 PM

Gold Trumpet

That's new for me actually. Even so, restored poster was made before Kubrick died as he supervised the special edition dvd collection released right after he died.

~rougerum

sphinx

apparently, one of kubrick's close friends (whose name escapes me) had seen kubrick pile up all this footage in the corner of his house that the man never used in his movies.  this includes outtakes, deleted scenes, and alternate takes for every single one of his films.  in kubrick's will, his friend was given specific instructions to take all the footage down to a field and burn it, which is what he did.

Satcho9

Victor

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetit was on the original poster.

~rougerum

i always thought the tagline shouldve been "We will gouge your eyeballs out and skull-fuck you". also the tagline for Eyes Wide Shut "Cruise Kidman Kubrick"was terrible and A. Buttfucking Kubrick by changing the movie for the rating system and then B. Not even having the common courtesey to give a reach-around and release it unrated for the DVD was a crime.
are you gonna eat with us too?

bonanzataz

Quote from: LesterNot even having the common courtesey to give a reach-around and release it unrated for the DVD was a crime.

I'll bet Kubrick wanted it that way to piss on sensitive American audiences.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

life_boy

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetKubrick's a hard believer in just letting the movie speak for itself. That's why he never did audio commentaries or put a lot of extras onto his dvds because he thought that even interviews, or documentaries would be speaking too much for interpretation on the film. It's sad because I would love for his dvds to have so many extra things to it, even like things relating to the history of the film and all that, not interpretational things.

I've heard of a special edition coming out for each movie and all, but I have no hopes of any anytime soon.

That's why I figured there wouldn't be any great special editions coming out, so I asked for the box set for Christmas.  The Kubrick: A Life in Pictures documentary kicks ass!  It's good to have the films because all of them are classics.

lamas

A few questions:

Is there a widescreen version of Dr. Strangelove on DVD?

So the difference between the A Clockwork Orange Kubrick Collection edition and the Special Collector's Edition 2 disc set is that the second disc is an audio soundtrack CD and there is a "making-of" booklet and a frame still?  

Does anyone have this edition?  And is it really worth it?

©brad

Quote from: Lester
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetit was on the original poster.

~rougerum

i always thought the tagline shouldve been "We will gouge your eyeballs out and skull-fuck you". also the tagline for Eyes Wide Shut "Cruise Kidman Kubrick"was terrible and A. Buttfucking Kubrick by changing the movie for the rating system and then B. Not even having the common courtesey to give a reach-around and release it unrated for the DVD was a crime.

I thought the cruise, kidman, kubrick tagline was cool. kubrick is one of the few directors who could get away with that.

lamas

I guess I found out the answer to my Dr. Strangelove question but I have another:

Does the 2001 DVD from the Kubrick Collection have the same film transfer as the Limited Collector's Edition 2-disc set with its "Fully restored widescreen version, digitally mastered for optimal picture and audio quality from new elements created for the Video Master, sourced from the 65MM Super Panavision 70 original camera negative and 6-Track magnetic sound masters"?

bonanzataz

Depends which edition of 2001 you have. If you bought the original one with mono sound, then no. If you bought the new one with 5.1 sound, then it's the same transfer but with the soundtrack, box, and still frame.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

jokerspath

Quote from: sphinxapparently, one of kubrick's close friends (whose name escapes me) had seen kubrick pile up all this footage in the corner of his house that the man never used in his movies.  this includes outtakes, deleted scenes, and alternate takes for every single one of his films.  in kubrick's will, his friend was given specific instructions to take all the footage down to a field and burn it, which is what he did.

That's not a friend at all...
I don't care how close this guy was w/ Kubrick, he is solely responsible for so much dissapointment that I'm convinced we should hunt him down and doublecheck that he actually did this before we force him to start writing the world's longest apology letter...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

modage

Spy Kids 4: We will gouge your eyeballs out and skull-fuck you
coming soon.  this film is not yet rated.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: life_boy
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetKubrick's a hard believer in just letting the movie speak for itself. That's why he never did audio commentaries or put a lot of extras onto his dvds because he thought that even interviews, or documentaries would be speaking too much for interpretation on the film. It's sad because I would love for his dvds to have so many extra things to it, even like things relating to the history of the film and all that, not interpretational things.

I've heard of a special edition coming out for each movie and all, but I have no hopes of any anytime soon.

That's why I figured there wouldn't be any great special editions coming out, so I asked for the box set for Christmas.  The Kubrick: A Life in Pictures documentary kicks ass!  It's good to have the films because all of them are classics.

I strongly advise you to not buy the collection as a new one is on its way, as a matter of fact I did mention this before but here it goes again.

'You might want to hold your buying of the DVD box set, Jan Harlan recently told in a Q&A that another collection with more extras is on the works. That would make it the third one.'

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=es&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=50eef43c41bb7daf

ono

Quote from: themodernage02Spy Kids 4: We will gouge your eyeballs out and skull-fuck you
coming soon.  this film is not yet rated.
:yabbse-thumbup: Funniest thing I've read all day!  :-D