The Last Temptation of Christ

Started by finlayr, April 16, 2003, 07:35:54 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: MacGuffinUIP spokesman Pascual Hernandez said Monday that it "is strictly a coincidence" that the two films share a common release date.
yes, pure coincidence that the film will open 16 years late on the same day as another controversial film about christs last days.  pure coincidence...

The Lord works in mysterious ways...

(someone had to say it)

SHAFTR

So I just saw this and it was really good, i mean really good.  Very moving and the film retains a documentary feel.  Dafoe is spectacular.  This movie makes me like Passion even less.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

spoillers

>i just saw this last night.......i enjoyed but io wasn t fully understood what the controvesrsy was about....was it:

> marty s portrayal of Christ as a human (with human desires [i.e. lust, self-doubting, rages of violence, etc..]..which would/may disturb some people b/c Christ is peerfect and doesn t have faults)...i  guessing that was it ..........and /or it might have been the part in the film whne Christ is tempted and  goes down off from the cross and has a 'vision' of having a normal family w/ magelene...[also, the sex scenes]........that could aslo be a huge part of the controversy.....but what  people may not understand is that the whole 'tempted' scenes was suppose to be interpretted as satan tring to  persuade Christ from doing his duty to save mankind by giving Him this vision w/ magelene et al.........but Christ  overcomes/powers satan and dies for us......is that it?.......

>it was very powerful film i thought......especially the 'it is accomplidhed"........but i ll be honest, this film didn t have the  emotional/trembling/in tears that The Passion of the Christ gave me....... but i also think that its b/c The Passion is so violent.....while Temptation is more lyrical at times....or sweeping epic like.......philosophical.....etc...[basically its a different tone altogether]......i 'enjoyed' both of these film alot......on a side note i like to see more Christian-oriented cinema w/ great productiuon values and talent behind it.......but this film is great......and Walrus.....if you re reading this go buy this criterion......over schizopolis.......

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY>i just saw this last night.......i enjoyed but io wasn t fully understood what the controvesrsy was about....was it:

> marty s portrayal of Christ as a human (with human desires [i.e. lust, self-doubting, rages of violence, etc..]..which would/may disturb some people b/c Christ is peerfect and doesn t have faults.
yeah, people dont mind seeing christ brutally beaten to death, but he cant have a girlfriend.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

That's probably because one happened and the other didn't.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenThat's probably because one happened and the other didn't.
what are u talking about, it didn't really happen in Last Temptation either. the only ppl who would be bothered by the last act of Temptation are f*cking idiots who don't understand anything about

a) movies - there were even disclaimers all over the place, right at the beginning of LToC it says the story is not based on the gospels. it is so infuriatingly ridiculous to see Jesus fans get mad over that point, their only defense is "it wasn't like that at all" so what the FFFFF?? the movie isn't pretending it was, it is treating the subject like an adult would treat the idea of guilt and redemption which leads me to...

b) jesus. - spiritual redemption was what Jesus was about, agreed? so if one is bothered by LToC's approach they are rejecting the idea that spirituality can be explored. how else can one show an internal conflict a HUMAN has, other than externalizing it? it is perfect about that, some lines are wack and the delivery is not always as effective as it could be, but at least LToC is portraying a worthy aspect of Jesus and Christianity, something much closer to core beliefs than seeing a mutilated body walk the streets.

the irony is that SCORSESE would be the one expected to milk the violence, with his body of work. but he didn't, cos his violence has always had a point, and more importantly cos he knows what's what.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: SoNowThenThat's probably because one happened and the other didn't.
what are u talking about, it didn't really happen in Last Temptation either.

Did I say it did? I was just responding to mod.

Jeez. Did you forget this is one of my favorite movies?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenDid I say it did? I was just responding to mod.
yeah so what's wrong with my response, i was also replying to the fictional christians who think it did, cos that's what u were explaining right? u were responding for "the ppl" that mod was talking about.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Nah, I can't stand the thought of those pricks picketing this movie and shutting it down. Fuck them.

It's just that I also can't stand the in-vogue statement people make about how Chrisitians get-off on violence but hate love. So yeah, it was a fact that people were gonna be a little more concerned with him having a kid with a woman than they would be of him getting flogged for an hour. Hell, I was pretty freaked out when I watched the movie for the first time, until it got to the end and presented, as you said, one of the most beautiful examples of spiritual redemption of humanity.

So yeah, I agree with everything you said in your post. Just don't direct it at me, like I was guilty of it.  :wink:

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenNah, I can't stand the thought of those pricks picketing this movie and shutting it down. Fuck them.

It's just that I also can't stand the in-vogue statement people make about how Chrisitians get-off on violence but hate love. So yeah, it was a fact that people were gonna be a little more concerned with him having a kid with a woman than they would be of him getting flogged for an hour. Hell, I was pretty freaked out when I watched the movie for the first time, until it got to the end and presented, as you said, one of the most beautiful examples of spiritual redemption of humanity.

So yeah, I agree with everything you said in your post. Just don't direct it at me, like I was guilty of it.  :wink:

I find that it's very voguish amongst Christians to reject any questioning of their belief system or any statement revealing their self-contradictions or hypocrisy by conveniently dismissing them as "in-vogue."

Kinda vageuly reminds me in the slightest way of some guy around here who used to try to argue people and discredit them by claiming they were "just trying to be cool." I'll disagree with people 'til the cows come home, but I'll usually give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the idea of their believing in what they say.

It's a bit too easy and also a bit too low to say that questioning the sort of violence in Passion is just a trendy stance, is what I'm saying. Argue with it, please, but don't just be lazy and say it's "in vogue" to have that opinion, implying that only your opinion has any thought or conviction behind it. If you don't feel like supporting your disagreement, or you just don't have time, there's no need to say anything until you do. This board and all these threads will still be here.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Modernage, in regards to your earlier comment and my reply:

I am truly and deeply sorry if any tone or word choice in my comments were received negatively by you, or implicated hostility towards you in any way. Certainly this was not my intent. I was under the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that you were simply riffing off the currently repeated comments born of the majority of the negative reviews of the film The Passion Of The Christ. In light of those comments, and in relation to the widespread negative reaction to the prior film The Last Temptation Of Christ, I felt my post would shed some light as to why it may have been that certain groups would be more easily accepting of one film as opposed to another. This was neither a judgement call on the films, nor on your intelligence as an individual, but what I believed to be a light and concise comment to illuminate things.

Again, I am sincerely sorry for any trauma this may have caused you, and certainly do apologize from the bottom of my heart. Should my apology still be found wanting, I would surely be open to discuss funding of pre-scheduled therapy sessions to help overcome this accidental emotional assault.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

OK, so I rented this last night.  I was enthralled pretty quickly...

I loved the portrayal how it doesn't say he WAS, but presupposes he was human so we could relate to his decisions, and perhaps gain insight on his sacrifice. I'm not sure about Martin's religious affiliation, but he really showed an empathetic view of Jesus (which heavily contrasts to the type of empathy seen in the Passion). I also really loved the portrayal of Judas.  

Now, onto the part that really pissed me off.  Since I rented it, I should've known better, but I hoped it would play smoothly.  

----SPOILERS----

I pop it in, and it's going fine.... until he draws the circle and sits in it.  The snake shows up, goes away, fine.  The lion shows up, goes away, fine.  The fire shows up, and it skips completely that entire scene.  I'm pretty pissed, suffice it to say.  The movie continues and I hoped that was the only part it would skip at, as it seemed important.  

But no.  The scene where he's about to be cruficfied starts skipping and skips all until the "guardian angel" shows up.  I know that the scene wasn't too important, but it was a pretty emotional scene and then BOOM... skips.  

God damn it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

just buy a new copy and you won't have that problem.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: ewardjust buy a new copy and you won't have that problem.

I didn't buy it, I rented it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye