Best Director = Favourite Director?

Started by Spike, September 01, 2003, 02:36:48 PM

Spike

Definately no.
Recently I talked with a friend about films and I said that Peter Jackson is my favourite director but the best director ever was Stanley Kubrick.
He looked at me and said, that a favourite director and the best director had to be the same. That means that I should think that PJ is also the best director.

He was a bit right, but I think that's not true. I mean, I can't explain why but for me my favourite director and the IMO best director are two different persons.

What do you think (And sorry for this confusing explanation, I don't know how to say it exactly in English)?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Sleuth

You said it fine, Spike.  And you were right, best and favorite aren't always the same (perhaps never)
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

i also agree. sometimes my favo(u)rite changes a bit (just like my favo(u)rite film does), but best director (kubrick) and best film (clockwork) remain the same

Jeremy Blackman

I think the best movie of all time is [probably] 2001, but my favorite will [probably] always be Magnolia. That's just how it works. Having an intense personal connection to something can make it your favorite. I think "best" is more of a non-personal thing.

Gold Trumpet

I use to think 2001 was the best film ever and Kubrick best director. With all apologies, I've gone away from that. But, yea, favorite and best are not the same thing. But to maybe move this thread in a different direction, I'd say that my fave movie is Grave of the Fireflies or Spirited Away while saying L'Avventura maybe the best ever made. Director wise, I have no clue.

~rougerum

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI think "best" is more of a non-personal thing.

JB said it best. Orson is quite possibly the best director ever but that doesn't mean you favour him the most. You might prefer Elia Kazan and feel he's your favourite director. Doesn't mean he's the BEST one in your view. It's all about taste and criticism.

ono

It's really a crap shoot whether best and favorite go hand-in-hand.  I think the best director to ever live is Stanley Kubrick.  Everything about him and his process screams "genius."  But, the best film ever, IMO, is Magnolia.  Kubrick never made anything with that much emotion, because he was all about dehumanization.  PTA hasn't yet done enough to eclipse Kubrick's accomplishments.  Who's to say he will?

To touch on Welles though, his earlier films were his most accomplished, I think.  Sad, though, that I haven't gotten to see more of them.  For someone to peak so early really hurts some people's perceptions of him, as they tend to dwell on their success contrasted with their more recent failures.