punk band recommendations

Started by Ernie, March 31, 2003, 02:52:07 PM

cine

The fuckin' Ramones all the way.

Sigur Rós

MC5!!! "Kick out the jams!".......you gotta check this band out! They're The Godfathers of punk!  :twisted:

Henry Krinkle

FUGAZI - every one of their albums is amazing!!  My favs are IN ON THE KILL TAKER, END HITS and REPEATER.

Also, check out BLACK FLAG and WIRE.

abbey road

wire: pink flag
television: marquie moon
clash: the clash
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

godardian

Quote from: abbey roadwire: pink flag
television: marquie moon
clash: the clash

Wire... oh, yes.

Horses - Patti Smith

Germ-Free Adolescents (with respect to Demented, who brought it up first)

Crossing the Red Sea with the Adverts (if you like X-Ray Spex or Buzzcocks, you'll probably find something worthwhile here- same time period, same sort of sardonic/gleeful energy)

-The Vaselines. Not "hardcore" punk by any stretch, but very DIY. Combine VU with Ramones, this is what it might sound like.

-The Jam.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sigur Rós

Mesh

The Minutemen.

In particular:

TenseAndSober

The Damned              
Iggy & the Stooges  
The Jam                
Ramones                  
Mc5
NY Dolls
The Who
The Kinks
Creation
The Clash
I would rcommend The Hives.  If you've listened to their records you should agree.  These Motherfuckers are an awesome punkrock band reminicent of early punk.
also look into The Pattern.

godardian

The Au Pairs.

Gang of Four.

Raincoats.

Early records by The Fall.

...to stretch the definition of "punk" a bit.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

godardian

Apparently, The Damned just released a 2-disc retrospective. My fave of theirs, even though it's a cover: "Jet Boy Jet Girl."

Cecil

Pas

I often heard The Exploited along with the band you already named, but I wouldn't know.

jokerspath

And for the hell of it, so you can look really learned to British music mag writers (that's sarcasm), you might as well add to that list:
The Saints (really rad Australian punk from the 70's)
Radio Birdman (same thing)
And since we're on really early Australian punk, might as well add:
The Birthday Party.
They're Nick Caves first big band (after TBND) and you cannot even imagine how or why someone was making scary music like this back then.  Mind you, this sounds nothing like Clash/Ramones but it is early punk all the same.

And you simply cannot ignore MC5, the Stooges, and Velvet Underground as was already stated in previous posts.

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

polkablues

It does not and will not get any better than Bad Religion.
My house, my rules, my coffee