Section Eight philosophy

Started by kotte, January 18, 2004, 11:18:42 AM

kotte

* No script development. It doesn't work. Seek out great scripts on spec.

* Never take those executive producer fees unless you have something to offer and are really excited by the project. However, if a studio is willing to pay you $400,000 for something you want to work on, take the cash and roll it back into the picture. If you make money on the back-end, roll it into the next picture.

* Forgett about opening weekend. Think about your legacy.

* Take final cut so you can give it back to the director.

* Work with brilliant young directors.

What do you think about this? Sounds prety awesome to make a picture with these guys as producers.

modage

sounds great in theory, huh?>
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kotte* Take final cut so you can give it back to the director.
I especially like this one.

©brad

Quote from: kotte* Never take those executive producer fees unless you have something to offer and are really excited by the project. However, if a studio is willing to pay you $400,000 for something you want to work on, take the cash and roll it back into the picture. If you make money on the back-end, roll it into the next picture.

clearly this one is the best.

Pubrick

i like the one about jerkin off at least ten times a day.
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

One thing forgotten on the list:

* Ditch longtime, supportive collaborators (John Hardy) for pretty boys inexperienced in producing (George Clooney).

Oh, and does 'brilliant young directors' apply to Soderbergh's assistant director (Gregory Jacobs)?

SoNowThen

I wanna work for this company.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Did he ditch John Hardy? That sucks. I was happy to see his name in the credits of Oceans 11, figured they were still working together.

Otherwise, those ideals are great. Where's my phone, I need to be ready when they call me...

Weak2ndAct

From what I hear, his exec. prod. credit on Ocean's 11/12 is the last we'll hear of Hardy and Soderbergh working together.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kotte* No script development. It doesn't work. Seek out great scripts on spec.

* Never take those executive producer fees unless you have something to offer and are really excited by the project. However, if a studio is willing to pay you $400,000 for something you want to work on, take the cash and roll it back into the picture. If you make money on the back-end, roll it into the next picture.

* Forgett about opening weekend. Think about your legacy.

* Take final cut so you can give it back to the director.

* Work with brilliant young directors.

What do you think about this? Sounds prety awesome to make a picture with these guys as producers.

As close to Dogme 95 that Hollywood will ever get.  And since it's less constricting, that's a very good thing.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: themodernage02sounds great in theory, huh?>

many said the same of communism, and look what happened.

not to be sidetracked, these rules seem good to me. I dont know how well they will work in terms of keeping funding

grand theft sparrow

Here's to Section Eight NOT going the route of American Zoetrope in the 70s.

ono

Anyone have a link to some section eight info?  This seemed so incredibly random when it was first brought up.