Kill Bill Vol. 2 Soundtrack

Started by MacGuffin, March 04, 2004, 10:38:30 AM

MacGuffin

Source: Tarantino Archives

Reportedly, all the recording for the Kill Bill volume 2 soundtrack is finished. Amazon (USA and UK) list the CD for April 13th, that's only a week before the theatrical release. Chances are, though, that the CD will ship earlier. So far all we know is, that RZA composed all of the original score for Volume 2 and that there will be a lot more of his work than on the Volume 1 CD. The CD is available for pre-order at Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

No songs yet known. Here are some rumors:

"Get Up & Get Down"
Performed by: The Dramatics
Plays in the theatrical trailer of Vol 1, so maybe is in Volume 2.

Song(s) by Lars Ullrich (Metallica) (POSSIBLE)

Song(s) by French singer Patrick Hernandez: "Born to be alive" (Tarantino reportedly bought the rights) (RUMOR)

"When Will I See You Again" by Three Degrees will be used at the end of Vol 2. (POSSIBLE)

Song(s) by Guns'n'Roses: Substitute or Prostitute (RUMOR!)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

Glad that there's no mention of Rodriguez

Cecil

my local hmv advertises kill bill vol 2 to be released during the last week of march

MacGuffin

TRACK LIST (maybe subject to change):

1 A FEW WORDS FROM THE BRIDE - Uma Thurman  
2 GOODNIGHT MOON - Shivaree  
3 IL TRAMONTO - Ennio Morricone  
4 CAN'T HARDLY STAND IT - Charlie Feathers  
5 TU MIRÁ (edit) - Lole Y Manuel  
6 MOTORCYCLE CIRCUS - Luis Bacalov (from movie "Summertime Killer")
7 THE CHASE - Alan Reeves, Phil Steele and Philip Brigham  
8 THE LEGEND OF PAI MEI - David Carradine and Uma Thurman  
9 L'ARENA - Ennio Morricone  
10 A SATISFIED MIND - Johnny Cash  
11 A SILHOUETTE OF DOOM - Ennio Morricone  
12 ABOUT HER - Malcolm McLaren  
13 TRULY AND UTTERLY BILL - David Carradine and Uma Thurman  
14 MALAGUENA SALEROSA - Chingon  
15 URAMI BUSHI - Meiko Kaji  
. . . The RZA! (hidden track - title tbc)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I remember thinking that Shivaree song was kinda quirky and cool back when it was on the radio a few years ago.

thedog

brockly

Quote from: GhostboyI remember thinking that Shivaree song was kinda quirky and cool back when it was on the radio a few years ago.

thats the only one i can find, apart from Urami Bushi and Silhouette of Doom which are available at killbill2.net. the rest are impossible.

MacGuffin

Tarantino Archives Review of the soundtrack:

Finally, this baby found its way into my CD Player. And again – just like with the Soundtrack to Volume 1 – I was immediately blown away. Let me say this first: This time, it's all quieter and slower and with more „class“. There is no song of the Tomayaso Hotei kind anymore. It all has more epic and sad tunes. From spaghetti western music to the already famous Urami Bushi song, it's all there and it's great. This Soundtrack has the balls to write Movie Soundtrack history. Seriously.

Now in the following review I will go through every song and write my thoughts of them down. Together with lenght of the songs and possible movie links. Have fun reading, and don't forget to pre-order this baby immediately.

1.A few words from the Bride (movie excerpt: Uma Thurman)
This is the same monologe we already saw in the teaser trailer, when The Bride is driving her car in front of the rear-projected street and tells the story of her revenge. A really cool piece of narration, which in my opinion fits well on this CD.

2.Goodnight Moon – Shivaree
This psychodelic song is really quite interesting. It kind of reminds me of a Leonard Cohen song, that played at the end of Natural Born Killers. The song is sung by a female, and it really fits into Kill Bill's thin red line between revenge (i.e. A female as a powerful individual) and death (i.e. A person who has been hurt or has to suffer). The song is something that goes under the skin and delivers a perfect mood. I can not yet tell you where this will play in the movie, unfortunately, but there are several scenarios where you could picture that song being played. For example in the end credits or other thoughtful passages. Maybe even in the strip club where the Bride meets Bill's brother. Who knows.

3.Il Tramonto – Ennio Morricone
The maestro of movie composing! Morricone is featured twice on this CD. (read below). This quite short piece is really awesomely composed and reminds oneself about several spaghetti westerns, like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, from where this excerpt is taken from. Really nice choice for the western-inspired passages in the film.

4.Can't Hardly Stand it – Charlie Feathers
This dude we already know from Volume 1. Charlie Feathers is one of the pioneers of Rockabilly music, and here again he lets the guitar speak. A really typical tune of the genre which will bring every hardcore rockabilly fan to jump in joy. A really nice choice.

5.Tú Mira – Lole y Manuel
Reportedly this is an edit of the original. Whatever. This is a mixture of real spanish flamenco guitar music, spanish singing and christian boys-choir music. A very special piece of music which will certainly be played in the scenes that play in Mexico. Probably even the showdown, we'll see.

6.The Summertime Killer – Luis Bacalov
This is from „Ricatto alla Mala“, a motorcycle film also called „Motorcycle Circus“, one of Tarantino's favorites. The theme kind of reminds me of a very famous song by Dreamtheatre. A nice tune, with an incredibly cool sounding guitar. And I especially love how this song reaches its climax.

7.The Chase – Alan Reeves, Phil Steele, Philip Brigham
I have problems locating this song. I am not sure where he took that from. There are so many movies of the same title. This is instrumental of course and features a guitar lick and a Deep Purple like organ. A really nice song. I would like to post a reward of ... uh... 50 cents ... to the person who can tell me where this is from.

8.The legend of Pai Mei (movie excerpt: David Carradine, Uma Thurman)
In this movie monologe, we hear Bill tell the story of Pai Mei, the legandary Kung Fu master. This is in the fashion of „Peter and the Wolf“, at least people described it like that. However, this is the typical Kung Fu fashion: Stories of monks, insults and fighting tecniques. This is accompanied by Bill's flute.

9.Il Mercenario (L'Arena) – Ennio Morricone
But this song is really the best ever. Never have I heard something so epic, so well-layered and so .... cinematic. The song is from Professional Gun, a Jack Palance film. You will love everything about this, especially the trumpets and the guitar. This almost beats the stuff he composed for Once Upon a Time in the West (thunder growling – oh sorry dear lord, I didn't mean to blaspheme!!!). I wonder why such great music like that is so forgotten these days. People like Morricone did write history with every note they jotted down on paper and brought to cinema. I can only bow my unworthy head to il Maestro himself.

10.Satisfied Mind – Johnny Cash
Extremely rare, this song. So rare that you can't even buy this anywere. At least I couldn't locate this in several hours of internet research. It's really a typical Cash song, the so loved story-telling that made him famous. A great voice, this man had. Unfortunately he passed away not too long ago. A really nice melancholic song.

11.A Silhouette of Doom – Ennio Morricone
Wow I lied. Morricone times three! This song plays during the teaser trailer, and somehow remings me of older japanese Samurai flicks, although this is of course also from western movies. I like the combination of different drums and the piano here. Very cool indeed. Almost too cool.

12.About Her – Malcom McLaren
I know this song somehow. If I am correct, a different version of this song is currently very popular in clubs and such. It sounds like a remix of an older R&B song. Very nice song. Fades somehow into a more Sting-like sounding theme. I liked it a lot.

13.Truly and utterly Bill (movie excerpt: David Carradine, Uma Thurman)
Once of the final pieces of dialogue between Bill and the Bride. With a nice and spoiling surprise.

14.Malaguena Salerosa – Chingon
This is the song that Robert Rodriguez's band contributed. A totally awesome tex-mex song. If you liked the type of music that was in Desperado or OUATIM, then you'll love this. It's an incredibly entertaining song with a very high fun factor. You could also dance to this if you're good and fast ;-) Really sounds great. Flamenco fans will know this, Paco deLucia also plays this popular song.

15.Urami Bushi – Meiko Kaji
We already know this song from Volume 1. Only it was not included on the CD. But „The Flower of Carnage“ was. Very similarly sounding. Great balad anyways, with a nice trumpet solo. If you understand japanese you could write me an email and tell me what the song is about, please. Thanks

16.Hidden Track: Black Mamba – The Wu Tang Clan
Here he comes again, Mr RZA. On the Volume 1 CD there was a remix called „Ode to O-Ren“, which I didn't like much and was not very original. This time, he and his Clan hit us with quite a well made piece about the Bride. I don't like that kind of music much, but you can tell that those guys dig this kind of music.

Total length of the CD: 46:23 minutes

Skeleton FilmWorks

FeloniousFunk

Is this going to be available on vinyl?

modage

sntk. is pretty weird.  not nearly as listenable (at first anyways) as the volume 1 sntk, or any of tarantinos sntks for that matter.  a few choice songs, but overall some questionable choices.    maybe after seeing the film it will make more sense.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

QuoteMalaguena Salerosa – Chingon

"Chingon" means '"fucker"  or "Fucking cool" in    'Mexican'.
context, context, context.

A Matter Of Chance

Why didn't they include "The Trio"? It was so cool in the trailer

modage

i just saw a commercial for Kill Bill Volume 2 that had the Vines "Ride" playing during it.   :shock:   i thought QT had more control over the commercials than that?  it was like for PDL, when they had violent femmes playing.  weird.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: themodernage02i just saw a commercial for Kill Bill Volume 2 that had the Vines "Ride" playing during it.   :shock:   i thought QT had more control over the commercials than that?  it was like for PDL, when they had violent femmes playing.  weird.

i saw that too, and had pretty much the same reaction.

modage

this johnny cash song is great.  and sad as all hell.