The bandwagon!

Started by Myxo, June 20, 2003, 06:01:58 PM

Myxo

My friend told me I should listen to the White Stripes' new album. So, I did. I didn't like it at all. He said, "You are crazy. It rules. You must not have very good taste."

--

I pretty much looked at him and said, "No, I don't like it. I didn't say it was bad, just that I don't care for it."

--

So, he says, "There are some bands you should force yourself to get used to. They produce good music whether you like it or not."

I'm a huge, huge Radiohead fan. I also listen to Blur, Sigur Ros, Spiritualized, Mogwai, Supergrass and alot of other "progressive-thinking-twenty-something" bands. For some reason alot of these new punk bands grate on my nerves. I do see the talent in the music, but I just don't like it. For some reason, I feel like a social outcast or something. Like, no matter what I should automatically be a Strokes/White Stripes/Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Kills/Vines fan by default. Does anyone feel the same way? Like somehow we've been programmed to think that if our peers like this music, I should listen to it too? Like it us fucking Marijuana or something.

;)

Thats my rant for today.

Sleuth

You don't have to listen to anyone.  I mean, the people, not the music.  You must listen to the music everyone else does
I like to hug dogs

modage

everyones allowed for their own taste.    you dont have to like anything.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02you dont have to like anything.

Except, of course, for the mandatory 'cool' list, which includes many of the bands you already like, plus the White Stripes. Get with the program and join the cool masses before the current cool list is passe! :wink:

polkablues

Does this mean it's okay that Mogwai's music bores me?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleuth

Well if it isn't, then you and I are in trouble
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

i think u should both make lists and sort out ur differences, and then make more lists. if everyone did this the world would be a better place.

that goes for trem and polka, as well as halo_on and his buddy. come together as one under the almighty list.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: halo_onFor some reason alot of these new punk bands grate on my nerves. I do see the talent in the music, but I just don't like it.

You're not alone. I like some of The Strokes and The White Stripes and The Vines... but it all seems, I dunno, so intentional. I like it in small doses.

You know what really bothers me? Sum 41.

picolas

i really dislike the Stripes's's' stuff. great new video, though. and they do have their whole colour scheme thing worked out pretty well.

BonBon85

Quote from: picolas.i really dislike the Stripes's's' stuff. great new video, though.

I loved the lego one, but I don't care much for the new one - makes me dizzy.

phil marlowe

i've said it before and i'll say it again:

THE WHITE STRIPES SUCKS GOATSE ASS!!!

thank you now punish me.

polkablues

Quote from: Pi think u should both make lists and sort out ur differences, and then make more lists. if everyone did this the world would be a better place.

that goes for trem and polka, as well as halo_on and his buddy. come together as one under the almighty list.

Boring... Why make lists when you can make polls instead?

Bask in the nurturing warmth of the poll.....................
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

LIST VS. POLL 2003!!!

I'm gonna have to put my money on the POLL this year.  

While you could technically LIST all the reasons one likes or doesn't like LISTS OR POLLS, you pretty much have to run a POLL to find out which one is prefered.

SoNowThen

Hehe.

Besides "Fell In Love With A Girl", I don't much care for the White Stripes.

But I do LOVE the Vines. I didn't really know they were popular. I was just clicking on NME one day, and a buddy was with me, and we streamed 30 seconds of some new music. He went out to buy the album and recommended it to me. I didn't like at first, but after 3 listens (which is fairly mandatory for all the albums I like) I began to love them. I think it's a cool little rock album.

But as for the Stripes, I'll just go with what Noel Gallagher said: "...eh, get a bass player!"
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

picolas

LIST-EN UP POLL-PLE!

THE POLL-ICE ARE SURROUNDING THIS THREAD

RE-LIST-ANCE IS USLIST

hah