Matt's Music

Started by matt35mm, August 11, 2005, 12:02:31 AM

matt35mm

I had some time today, and wanted to practice recording things, and was feeling creative, so I decided to record myself covering "Hotel Yorba" by The White Stripes.

Now, I don't know how to play any musical instruments (although I am currently learning to play the guitar), but I think it turned out pretty well anyway.

I did everything on this.  I did the vocals, kazoo, clapping, and drums (I don't have drums, I just banged on things that sounded like drums).

I hope you like it.  But if you don't, well then hey, at least tell me it's fairly well recorded.  This is the first song I've ever recorded, so... I'll improve, but I think this was a pretty good job for my limited experience.

(3 MB, MP3)

Enjoy!

EDIT:

If that link doesn't work, click on .

EDIT #2:
Okay, if neither link works, which it looks like is the case as I write this, if you're still interested, you can IM me at matt35mm for it, or leave you e-mail address here or PM it to me and I will send it to you.

hedwig

it's certainly creative.  i love the kazoo.

matt35mm

Okay, it looks like the links are working again now.  Check out the song if you haven't already.

Figure 8

I thought that was pretty good.  The recording quality was actually very good.  The only criticism I would give is that you got off beat sometimes, but besides that it sounded really good.  It was really creative.

Ghostboy

Yeah, it was pretty fun (although kazoo's are a bit grating at length!). You've got a good voice.

SHAFTR

i don't know why...but i like this a lot.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

matt35mm

Thanks!

Your comments have made my day!

hedwig

the fact that you tackle so many different artforms.  is commendable.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Jeremy Blackman

There's an uncanny resemblance to Ween, especially in the vocals. (Intentional?)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The only real complaint was the thumping you used to replace the drums.

Otherwise... it might even be better than the original.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

matt35mm

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThere's an uncanny resemblance to Ween, especially in the vocals. (Intentional?)
Not intentional.  I hadn't heard any Ween songs until after recording this, but a few of my friends have agreed with you that it sounds like Ween.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: matt35mmNot intentional.
Wow... It's pretty exact in places. Especially "Push Th' Little Daisies" from Pure Guava. (Not that the tone is similar. But the similarity put an interesting spin on your song for me.)

matt35mm

My MySpace Music Page

I've got a couple of original songs up there, one of which I posted a while ago, and one that I just recorded today.

Listen and enjoy!

EDIT:

if you don't care for MySpace.

Fjodor

I've listened both to She Told Me and The Bittersweet Night, and what can I say:  :bravo: I especially like the intro's.

matt35mm

Well, I decided to start making music again.  Here's a new one, somewhat inspired by (but not totally based on) Wendy and Lucy:

(mp3)

Hope you'll check it out!