Okkervil River: The BEST Band You Haven't Had Time To Listen To (So Far)

Started by RegularKarate, August 21, 2006, 01:48:52 PM

RegularKarate

Yeah... I think Down the River is probably my least favorite album of thiers, but it still has some great songs.

I got to see them again at a festival earlier this month.. the sound was kinda bad (could hardly hear the guitar) and they were tired from a long tour so it didn't blow me away the way they usually do, but it was still great to see them again (hadn't seen them since the incredible orchestra show this spring).

If we've even got Stefen converted, you others could give it a shot, right?

modage

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 26, 2007, 03:28:41 PM
If we've even got Stefen converted, you others could give it a shot, right?

yeah i really hope so.  we've got a few weeks till those Radiohead boxsets ship so I hope we can turn a few people on in the meantime.  i'm predicting "next Wilco" status for Okkervil, so maybe it'll take one more album for them to really catch on.  i did a little digging and found you can download a handful of my favorite tracks from their label's website.  hopefully a few adventurous xixaxers will give them a shot...

.mp3
.mp3
.mp3
.mp3
.mp3
.mp3
Red.mp3
Westfall.mp3
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I really wish I was in a different mind-set when I saw them live this summer. I would have enjoyed it alot more.

Unfortunately, where I live, we don't get a chance to see many bands since they come here and then never come here again.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro

I think Down the River is probably my least favorite album of thiers, but it still has some great songs.
I'm already in the club, and I can't agree!  Don't fall in love is much worse!  For the enemy?  Anyone?  Anyway, to reiterate what has been said over and over again in this thread:  more people should listen to this band, especially if you like music which borrows from the 70s aesthetic (electric piano, telecasters, tasteful steel parts...) and has a lot of energy.

RegularKarate

I think Down the River is probably my least favorite album of thiers, but it still has some great songs.
Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on November 26, 2007, 06:16:31 PMI can't agree!  Don't fall in love is much worse! 

You so crazy, Pedro... Don't Fall in Love is great (my wife says it's her favorite, but she's almost as crazy as you)

Red - listen to the words and the emotion... tell me it doesn't make you feel something
Westfall - they close almost every show with this because they know it's the most exciting song they have... so dark yet dancable
Otis Redding - starts out so simple, then the strings kick in all Van Morrisony
Okkervil River - that rhythm?  those lyrics... how is there not a clearly defined painting in your head when you listen to it?

Those songs are so great and the rest of the album is really good too (minus a couple songs that are just okay)... the percentage of greatness is so much higher on Don't Fall in Love versus Down the River

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on November 26, 2007, 06:16:31 PMFor the enemy?  Anyone?
Quote from: RegularKarate on November 26, 2007, 03:28:41 PMbut it still has some great songs.

Pozer

damn, just read this thread for the 1st time.  you guys got me hyped.  will buy their album(s) this eve.

modage

Quote from: pozer on November 27, 2007, 12:37:09 PM
damn, just read this thread for the 1st time.  you guys got me hyped.  will buy their album(s) this eve.

just a note.  their entire catalog is available on eMusic, which rules anyway but you can try it out for free and get 25 downloads.

http://www.emusic.com/

i think this is my first 'favorite band' that i don't own a single physical cd of.  which makes me feel sorta empty.  (and sorta free).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on November 27, 2007, 01:54:15 PM
i think this is my first 'favorite band' that i don't own a single physical cd of.  which makes me feel sorta empty.  (and sorta free).

I got Stage Names on Vinyl and going forward, that's just how I'm going to buy them all.  They come with free downloads of the albums anyway.

Pozer

i bought the stage names, gave it a couple listens and couldnt get into the whole album.  i liked the first few trax as well, but the rest was just too much trying to come up with clever rhyming to me.  and the last sloop john b beach boys.. thing i just didnt understand.  giving it another try tho.

Stefen

Quote from: pozer on December 17, 2007, 02:25:05 PM
i bought the stage names, gave it a couple listens and couldnt get into the whole album.  i liked the first few trax as well, but the rest was just too much trying to come up with clever rhyming to me.  and the last sloop john b beach boys.. thing i just didnt understand.  giving it another try tho.

Try Black Sheep Boy. It took me a LONG time to get into Stage Names. It's a grower.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

mmmm...merry christmas.

http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/GoldenOpp_OkkervilRiver192kbps.zip

GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES Mixtape
Recorded live on tour, 2006-2007 (MP3 format, 192 kbps)

1. APRIL ANNE (John Phillips)
2. SIMON SMITH AND THE AMAZING DANCING BEAR (Randy Newman)
3. I WANT TO KNOW (Charles F. Olsen/Ed Sanders)
4. DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO (Jimmy Webb)
5. I CAME HERE TO SAY IM GOING AWAY (Serge Gainsbourg/Trans. by W. Sheff)
6. THE BLONDE IN THE BLEACHERS (Joni Mitchell)
7. ANTARCTICA STARTS HERE (John Cale)
8. LISTENING TO OTIS REDDING AT HOME DURING CHRISTMAS (Will Sheff)
9. SOLO (Sandy Denny)

matt35mm

I can't get Westfall and For Real out of my head.  I'll be buying some of their albums, and I plan to catch their show in England later this year.

Mod, this is all your fault.  Fault meaning thanks!

tpfkabi

no mention of The Stand Ins?
release date 9-9-08
second half of Stage Names - originally conceived as a double album.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

someone sent it to me last night!  i can't believe this leaked already.