Respect

Started by MacGuffin, October 25, 2003, 01:33:49 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Would you like a hug?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Cecil

Ernie

I used to say everything Mac said but I was of course told to "get a dick" and whatnot. Now that Mac has said it and the whole world agrees, it's probably ok to have this opinion. So I won't go back and reiterate everything I said like I probably should. I'll just agree as well for now.

godardian

Someone has needed to say what Mac said for a looong time. The underlying assumption of all the behavior referred to- that this is a straight boy's club, that obviously no females or others who might find the sometimes slobbery, masturbatory atmosphere a little misguided would ever be here- is, I think, what was truly irksome, moreso than the the "naughty" pics and so on.

Glad to see most people responding reasonably to a very reasonable suggestion...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Xixax

How does The Goatse Guy fit into this scenario?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Newtron

Quote from: ebeamanI used to say everything Mac said but I was of course told to "get a dick" and whatnot. Now that Mac has said it and the whole world agrees, it's probably ok to have this opinion. So I won't go back and reiterate everything I said like I probably should. I'll just agree as well for now.
Get a dick.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: GhostboyAnd of course, in case it isn't implied, let's make sure we respect everyone on the site, not just the ladies.

Oh, wait, does that mean we have to nice to Yankees fans, for heaven's sakes?   :P

Well, maybe an exception can be made.

Yankees are baseball, right?  :lol:

MrBurgerKing

Last week or so I was doing some painting on a canvas in some garbage art course I'm taking. So, I finished the painting and then sat down on my stool to admire my masterpiece (a portrait of santa clause). Then there was a wet feeling on the stool.. I sat in a blob of drying white paint! I got up and looked at it, and there was a big dry white streak perfectly visible on my black pants.

Soon I forgot about this, and later in the day a woman approached me. The moment our eyes reached each others', the possibilities came up. I thought maybe I could ask her to Burger King or Wendys that night, or take her to the theaters. It was love at first sight. I knew we would be together forever. Then the words came.. She told me there's a big streak of white visible on my ass area. Feeling assertive I said yep, I sat in paint, it's not what you think. Then came the words "I know what paint looks like, that's not paint."

What the hell could I say to that? She didn't believe me, she thought I was covering my tracks. I had no time to defend my position, which was basically "How would the man-mayo get to my back-side?" She walked away before I could answer and I was trapped in an orgy of possible responses I could've given. Of course none of them would've worked. She would've no doubt said that I self-gratified myself and wiped on the back of my shorts. Of course the next thing I did was grab a black marker and color over the white spot. Yep, I'm single.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: GhostboyWell, maybe an exception can be made.
figures...I see how it all works.  Seriously...too much hate.  :yabbse-cry:

coffeebeetle

I'd also like to thank you, Mac, for starting this thread.  The sex forum was probably the most asinine, inconsiderate  one created to date.  Anyway, I too am going to do better, as I have been guilty of putting up distasteful avs and making comments...what can I say?  I get carried away with things sometimes and to all the ladies out there: My Apologies.  

P.S.: I think Mac's intentions are not to sound smooth around the ladies, but out of respect for them.  I hope. :)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Ghostboy

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: GhostboyWell, maybe an exception can be made.
figures...I see how it all works.  Seriously...too much hate.  :yabbse-cry:

Honestly...it's all Greek to me. I didn't even know it was Baseball season until about a week ago.

pookiethecat

well, macguffin brought up a really vital issue, i think.   the dirty talk makes me want to post less here.  its just disheartening, but it's mainly boring as hell.  the thing i really dislike though is when my opinions aren't considered valid on their own...instead, the perception is, "she thinks this cuz she's a chick."  it's just insulting.  i'm kind of regretting ever revealing my identity as a female.
i wanna lick 'em.

Ernie

Quote from: pookiethecatinstead, the perception is, "she thinks this cuz she's a chick."

Exactly. Not only do some assume any girl here is stupid but they also make other inexplicable assumptions. Like I always thought it was strange that any girl that came here was automatically thought to be really hot. I don't see why people would expect that...it's a message board, not a night club. That's like putting pressure on somebody, it's superficial wishful thinking. People that hang out at message boards probably aren't going to be GREAT looking whether they're a guy or girl. I'm not saying that I expect everybody here to be ugly, there probably are some really good looking people here but I never expect that, I definitely don't expect any George Clooney's or Audrey Tautou's. But that's just me, I've never hit on anybody on the internet, no offense to those that do but it's always been kinda creepy to me. And I have a dick too, imagine that. I'm growing up with the best mom in the world and a sister as a best friend, with a deadbeat dad on top of that, sue me. All I've ever known is that I should respect women. Sure, my dad calls them "broads" and whatnot but he has absolutely no influence on me at all. My mom and sister are the ones that do. Hence my support of this whole thing.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Find Your Magali
So, to paraphrase a great TV show, "Let's be careful out there, folks."

yeah... Cop Rock is the greatest!

I agree with what Mac's saying here.  I also don't want everybody to have to stop sharing opinions.  Like I think Thora Birch is hot.  I think I should be able to share that with everyone.  But the macho-tard attitude has been getting a little out of hand lately.

Quote from: pookiethecati'm kind of regretting ever revealing my identity as a female.

Wait... Pookie's a girl?

Seriously though, Pookie, there aren't many people here who actually think your opinion doesn't matter because of your gender.

cine

Quote from: pookiethecati'm kind of regretting ever revealing my identity as a female.
I don't see how this could be possible. Taking your age and sex into consideration, you're probably one of the most intellectual people on this entire board, and many have recognized that, including myself. So I don't think you should be regretting revealing that. People around here are very impressed by you.
I've never had a big problem with the whole woman thing since I am a guy and all. I thought it was just like Mac said.. boys being boys. But as I said in the 'Sex' thread, it epitomized 'idle' chatter.. but not in a good way where it fits around here. It was wasteful stuff. Women should be fully commended for putting up with us guys, and relates here also. They put up with too much of our shit but I hope they're aware that even though some guys on here may be compelled to speak a little negatively about them, I can tell they're being very innocent about it as the majority seem to be clearly soft (well, or hard) for them.