It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)

Started by SoNowThen, November 28, 2003, 12:08:18 PM

SoNowThen

after my most recent viewing of Don't Look Back, I can't get this song out of my head. It's one among many many many incredible Dylan songs.

You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last.
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.
Yonder stands your orphan with his gun,
Crying like a fire in the sun.
Look out the saints are comin' through
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense.
Take what you have gathered from coincidence.
The empty-handed painter from your streets
Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets.
This sky, too, is folding under you

All your seasick sailors, they are rowing home.
All your reindeer armies, are all going home.
The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you

Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you.
Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you.
The vagabond who's rapping at your door
Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.
Strike another match, go start anew

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

..yeah , dylan's the sh*t....

i bought that RS issue w/the 500 best albums...(it does make a good reference to getting into music that you forgot or didnt know of)....and was surprised to see all this dylans discs....blonde on blonde/blood on the tracks are phucking amazing.....

i need to get nashville skyline....

i'm a big fan or tangled up in blue.....
annd i really loved the things have changed song from th wonder boys film...

phuck theres so much to say bout his guy...... :!:

SoNowThen

Nashville Skyline is my favorite underrated Dylan album.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I haven't heard that much ::SMILEYFACEFORBEINGSAD::

But everything I've heard is great ::CONFOUNDED!!::
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

you nneed to runnnn--NOt walk to your local best buy and buy some dylann::excited but serious expression follwed by two snaps annd a twist::

......that was funnny slobh.....

European Son

After being booed off stage during the infamous folk festival scene in 65 for going electric, he returned to the stage and played this song which pleased some of the folkies at the time. Dylan would then go onto his shit hot rock period (Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde). It may just be me, but I don't think it was a coincidence that he choose "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" as the sendoff performance for his folk fanbase. From the reports I've read, some of them got the message, but some were oblivious to any special meaning. Just an interesting note I thought.

MacGuffin

Latest Victoria's Secret model: Bob Dylan
Singer appearing in new series of ads

NEW YORK (AP) -- New, from Victoria's Secret: the MiracleBob?

Bob Dylan appears in a new series of commercials for Victoria's Secret, his grizzled face intercut with shots of model Adriana Lima cavorting through Venice in a bra, panties and spike heels.

Don't worry. The 62-year-old Dylan keeps his clothes on.

Dylan's song "Love Sick," from his Grammy-winning 1997 album "Time Out of Mind," provides the musical backdrop for the spot, which airs in 15-, 30- and 60-second versions.

It promotes a new line of lingerie, the "Angels" collection -- which explains the wings on Lima's back as she prances across a palazzo near a Venetian canal.

"It's weird," said New York disc jockey Dennis Elsas, who's played Dylan music for three decades. "I would be hesitant to say it's awful or wonderful. It's just strange."

The commercials began airing a week ago, and will run for the next two weeks, said Ed Razek, chief creative officer for Victoria's Secret. The company experienced an immediate uptick in sales once the spots ran, he said.

Dylan was not a hard sell when approached about the campaign, Razek said. The company already had decided to use the song when its corporate boss, Les Wexner, suggested inviting Dylan himself.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer quickly agreed, although no one's quite sure why.

"I can't speculate to his reasons, I never talked to him about why he decided to come to the party, but he did," Razek said. "He's iconic, a living legend."

Dylan's spokesman did not return messages for comment about the campaign.

Little backlash

It's the first time in his 40-plus years as an international star that Dylan has appeared in an ad campaign, although his "The Times They Are a Changin' " was used in a Bank of Montreal commercial in 1996.

Back then, Dylan was ripped for selling out. His association with ladies in lingerie, as opposed to some corporate entity, failed to produce much antipathy -- particularly in an era where Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and Sting recently licensed songs for commercials.

But the strange mingling of Dylan and decolletage prompted plenty of comment, from a New York sports writer's Sunday column to various Internet chat rooms.

"On first glance, this is wrong on so many levels, but after viewing it I really admire Bob Dylan," wrote one Dylan fan in a chat room. "I only hope that when I reach Dylan's age someone approaches me to ask if I would like to be paid to fly to Venice and do a commercial with several supermodels."

Once you reach that level of acceptance, as Elsas observed, the Dylan spots don't seem so bad.

"What would you rather have Bob Dylan selling, ladies' underwear or cat food?" Elsas asked.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

See, that's class: "Can we use your song?"  "Only if I can cavort with hot young semi-naked girls". "Done." The old guy's still got the smarts left in him.

Dylan gains even more of my respect (if that's possible)!

El Duderino

i really really love him. i got to see him a couple years back and the concert was great, but i didnt really know much of his music at the time. his songwriting skills and guitar playing are just incendiary

i just picked up the Live in 1964 2-Disc album and it's fantastic, I reccomend to everyone to pick it up.

also, i dont know what's going on with him and the Victoria's Secret commercials and wanting to judge on American Idol, it's bothersome.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Sigur Rós

Quote from: SoNowThenNashville Skyline is my favorite underrated Dylan album.

Agreed!

SoNowThen

I've been trying to decide if I should replace all my classic Dylan albums with the new ones that were put out last year (I think they're remastered or something, as if I have any clue what any of that actually consists of).

Anybody make a comparison between the old cd's and the new ones?

I'm thinking Nash Sky, Bringing It Back, Blonde On Blonde, etc...

godardian

I'm hardly feverish for Dylan, but I can't ever see the title of this thread without being reminded that this particular song was covered by this man:

....which I find very amusing, seeing as how Dylan is apparently so hallowed and this guy is the worst kind of bad Euro-disco trash. I've never heard it, but I kind of want to.

It's also covered by Hole (much more legit) on the b-side of the "Malibu" single.

But the BEST Dylan cover ever is on Nick Cave's Murder Ballads: Cave, PJ Harvey, Kylie Minogue, and a bunch of others do a sort of "We Are the World" turn-taking with "Death is Not the End." It's very sardonic and very brilliant.

All in all, I agree with a very great man who once said Bob Dylan would've had more fun if he'd been in the New York Dolls. I'm no Dylan-hater, but he's soooooo over-earnest and self-serious. Small doses for me.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardiana very great man who once said Bob Dylan would've had more fun if he'd been in the New York Dolls.

I'd like to meet that man and break his nose.

The nasal voice and lone guitar (and/or sparse backing band) is the whole friggin point.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianI'm no Dylan-hater, but he's soooooo over-earnest and self-serious.

what an odd thing to say..
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: godardianI'm no Dylan-hater, but he's soooooo over-earnest and self-serious.

what an odd thing to say..

I should confess that I have completely different standards for the personae of pop stars/public figures than I do for the rest of us.  :wink:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.