Hot Knife - Fiona Apple

Started by modage, July 24, 2013, 07:30:30 AM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

nice that they're still friends.

she spazzes like freddie a lot in the video, especially around 2:46.

i don't think his videos are canon so there's little analysis to me made outside of the biographical backstory to how he ended up making it at all.

so like i said, nice that they're friends. really good friends. really cool.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Those split screens are absolutely magical. And it's crazy how colorful it seems.

Brando

I really like the use of B&W and the Color. I expected the entire thing to be in B&W like Across the Universe so the first time it cuts from her in B&W to color was jarring but in a really good way. It's even more jarring cause the color parts are super saturated. It looks like her skin is burning.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Robyn

loved this.
hadn't heard the song before and liked it quite a lot.

Tictacbk

There's two people in this music video... right?

Robyn

Quote from: Tictacbk on July 24, 2013, 02:05:38 PM
There's two people in this music video... right?

yes, it's fiona and her sister according to some youtube member.

Pubrick

Quote from: Brando on July 24, 2013, 01:31:02 PM
I expected the entire thing to be in B&W like Across the Universe

that's a weird expectation. none of his other videos for her have been B&W apart from random bits in Fast As You Can. he's made more colour videos for her than non-colour.

this is his first video for her post-breakup though, i think that is noteworthy.

if only for the fact that it's a really hard thing to manage in real life, to be friends with your ex.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

I like the fact that she's gained weight since she got busted for weed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Christian on July 24, 2013, 02:18:43 PM

Munchies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Brando

Quote from: Pubrick on July 24, 2013, 02:09:42 PM
Quote from: Brando on July 24, 2013, 01:31:02 PM
I expected the entire thing to be in B&W like Across the Universe

that's a weird expectation. none of his other videos for her have been B&W apart from random bits in Fast As You Can. he's made more colour videos for her than non-colour.

I don't remember the video for Fast as you Can but I didn't have the expectation going into the video. It was during the first 30 seconds on the first viewing when the video is in B&W. It made me think of Across the Universe. I was expecting the rest of the video to be the same when it jumps to an over saturated Fiona Apple.

I especially like the moment at 2:06 when the drums stop and the color jumps from the two outside split screens into the center.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

modage

Quote from: Christian on July 24, 2013, 02:18:43 PM
That may not be true as PTA had started on this video prior to filming "The Master" so not sure how much/if any of the footage is from when.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

polkablues

That was weirdly intense. Like I'm legitimately stressed out after watching it. I can't really quantify the alchemy behind that, but I dig it.

Quote from: Pubrick on July 24, 2013, 11:57:28 AM
so like i said, nice that they're friends. really good friends. really cool.

If you think they're still fucking, just come out and say so.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on July 24, 2013, 09:24:34 PM
If you think they're still fucking, just come out and say so.

No way, he's got JP now.
under the paving stones.