The Tree of Life

Started by modage, January 28, 2009, 06:54:07 PM

Pozer

that's the review i've been waiting for. thanks, Bethie.

matt35mm

TONIGHT:

1. I shook the hand of Terrence Malick.
2. A lot of the cast and crew were there, including Jessica Chastain and all the kids. It felt like the best home movie screening ever. There was applause throughout the whole credits for specific people. That was really nice.
3. They showed us the Palme D'Or.

I loved the movie a lot. I expected that I'd have to think about it for a while, and re-watch it to even approach a basic idea of how I felt about it, but I actually think it's remarkably accessible. Excepting a handful of abstract sequences, the movie is very grounded and immediately understandable. It's just that its style is so impressionistic, and it's about one time, one place, and the memories of that, while also keeping in mind the context of the whole of existence. As long as you can get over the fact that it's not a story that involves a character who has to solve a problem, deal with traditional conflict, and learn lessons along the way, then you will be able to find a way to relate your life to the lives shown on screen. But there IS a lot of conflict and a lot of emotion. Rather than being too abstract and distancing, it's a film that will draw you in emotionally and hold you close, if you let it.

It could have gone for another hour. It didn't feel long to me at all, with nothing dragging. It went by so fast and was so easy to lose yourself in.

All I can say right now is that the film is gripping in a moment to moment way, and not as baffling as I expected. It feels like a search for the meaning of love, hate, anger, and grace within the framework of everything up until now, and the question of where God was for all of this. Everything about the style, camerawork, and editing made me swoon. If you're okay with an impressionistic, non-traditional narrative, there's so much here to draw you in. It's such a full film. There's fullness in almost every moment.

This is all just my immediate reaction, late at night after a few drinks and much excitement. After we've all seen it a couple of times and have had some time to think on it, there will be much to say and read about it. I look forward to that.

Stefen

Quote from: matt35mm on June 01, 2011, 01:42:58 AM
TONIGHT:

Stopped reading there.

GO ON.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

matt35mm

Our respective right hands.

Reel

wow, you're really lucky. I'd definitely shell out $75 to see the latest by one of the greats and get to meet him! Was there some sort of Q&A after or was it just like a reunion type thing, cuz I guess he's shy.

matt35mm

No Q&A, not that I would ever expect one. He wasn't at the screening, as far as I know.

After the screening there was a benefit reception, as the all the money from the event went to the Texas Film Production Fund and Smithville Community Project (Smithville is the town just out of Austin where they shot the film). That was very laid back and lots of friends of his and the cast and crew were there so he was just hanging out and talking to people all night. I didn't expect to see him at all, so it was a nice surprise. No pictures, obviously, as he doesn't like to be photographed.

I didn't get to talk to him. I was just one of hundreds of people who went up to him and shook his hand and said that they loved the movie.

Reel

damn dude, tonight I just laid on the fucking couch

cinemanarchist

TONIGHT:

:finger: Very jealous, but very happy for you.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Fernando

TONIGHT:

are you going to wash it?  :yabbse-wink:

modage

Malick's hand? The guy doesn't even like to have his picture taken, I'm not sure he'd be cool with Matt35mm offering to lather/rinse him.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

lol. ok, fell right into that one.

Pozer

TONIGHT:

you are the man35mm.

matt35mm

Quote from: Fernando on June 01, 2011, 10:58:48 AM
are you going to wash it?  :yabbse-wink:

Well, considering that I had to pick up a dead rat from my front door this morning, yeah.

polkablues

Miraculously, the second-hand contact with Malick made the rat come back to life.
My house, my rules, my coffee