David Lynch - Peacemaker

Started by MacGuffin, October 22, 2003, 11:31:35 AM

MacGuffin

DAVID LYNCH'S $1B PEACE PLAN
Source: Page Six

Director David Lynch wants you to give peace a chance - by helping him raise $1 billion to establish a vast network of "peace palaces" around the world.

Lynch, who has been a follower of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation movement for 30 years, tells PAGE SIX that his bearded guru wants to build meditation meccas in 3,000 of the world's largest cities, including a headquarters in India that will house 40,000 followers.

"He is teaching a way to go within and gain enlightenment," says Lynch, who launches his peace drive Friday morning with a press conference at The Plaza hotel.

"There's this beautiful ocean of bliss and consciousness that is able to be reached by any human being by diving within, which is really peaceful and harmonious and can be enlivened by the group process. This group is a peace-creating group. It saturates the atmosphere. This is all about establishing peace. Right now, we gotta get peace back in the world. Peace is a real thing."

While Lynch's peculiar peace push would seem to invite ridicule by cynical New Yorkers, the director behind such creepy classics as "Eraserhead," "Blue Velvet" and, most recently, "Mulholland Drive," remains deeply devoted to his cause: "I'm going all out for this," vows Lynch. "It's kind of important to have peace on earth."

The hopeful helmer tells us he turned on many of his friends and co-workers to TM.

"Everyone in my office does it," Lynch says. "I've introduced it to people on my movie sets, too. I'm not gonna drop any names."

Indeed, back in June, Lynch, his "Wild at Heart" actress Laura Dern and "Mulholland Drive" starlet Laura Haring, as well as Heather Graham, declared their support for a $4 million peace center in Los Angeles, where meditators would gather twice a day to practice "yogic flying," a group practice that supposedly sends positive vibrations out into the world and reduces stress and crime.

Scheduled to join Lynch at Friday's Plaza press conference are choreographer Robert La Fosse, physicist John Hagelin, peace activist Robert Brown and the Maharishi himself, live via satellite from the Netherlands.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

What peculiar news. A little fruity for my taste, but it's a great idea. At least Lynch is fulfilling every Miss America's dream.
WWPTAD?

Jeremy Blackman

I think I want to cry. Seriously.

Ghostboy

cine

Bush's road to peace? No thank you, I'll stick with David Lynch's idea.

.... sounds kinda funny.

NEON MERCURY

wonder what Lennon would think..............

Gamblour.

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwonder what Lennon would think..............

"I am the Walrus."

"V.I. Lenin! Vladmir Illanich Uleninov!"
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwonder what Lennon would think..............
see: Yoko Ono.

coffeebeetle

This is really cool.  What a beautiful idea...
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

TheVoiceOfNick

David Lynch should try to get the support of Paul Macartny.. he was deeply into Transandental Meditation (however the fuck the spelling is) in the 60's... maybe Lynch could get an ensemble cast of famous people and do a Lynchian video of Give Peace A Chance... one where the world explodes at the beginning, but then it doesn't, but then we discover it was a dream, and then everyone gets naked and has an absurd orgy... that would be cool...

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

MacGuffin

Lynch at Peace Conference

Unfortunately this article didn't get notice till after the conference, but it still has some interesting quotes from Lynch:

David Lynch's peace mission

Film director David Lynch, known for such films as "The Elephant Man" and "Mulholland Drive," will be in Fairfield this weekend.

Film director David Lynch is among the leaders in science, art, and politics who will gather this weekend to help give peace a chance.

"Creating Peace Day" will take place Sunday at the Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield.

Lynch, as well as Robert Muller, the former assistant secretary general of the United Nations; and Uganda native Samite, the director of Musicians for World Harmony, are among those who will speak, perform and lead a candlelight ceremony.He will join all the speakers from 10 a.m. to noon for a panel discussion and again at 7:30 p.m. for the ceremony.

"This conference is not about wishing for peace or marching for peace - this is about finding ways to actually create peace," said Lynch, who has made such films as "The Elephant Man," "The Straight Story," "Blue Velvet" and "Mulholland Drive."

Some of the speakers practice Transcendental Meditation and subscribe to the teachings of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, perhaps best known as the Hindu mystic guru to the Beatles in the 1960s. What unites the speakers is their wish for world peace and enlightenment."This is not a political rally, not in support of any candidate," said event organizer Erin Skipper, a Maharishi University alumna.

"We want to educate people on different approaches to creating peace. We also want it to be inspiring. We're going to have students performing, and cultural songs between the speakers."

During phone interviews from Ithaca, N.Y., and Hollywood, respectively, Samite and Lynch expressed what they believe are recent events and issues that best underscore the need for world peace."The kids in Russia, that experience just killed me," Samite said. "The kids should be playing, laughing and singing . . . they should not be in the middle of such bad things, fear and explosions."

Samite grew up in the era of Idi Amin and other African dictators. He has visited refugee camps where the only thing traumatized children could respond to was music.

"There are over 300,000 children in the world being used as soldiers," Samite said. "They see their friends and (relatives) die. If we're going to fight, we should make sure children don't have to be involved." Lynch's recent mission has been to raise money for peace palaces and for a group of 8,000 meditators he said could be known as a "peace-creating factory."

Lynch, who is also a painter and musician, said he believes strongly in a total positive energy to be used for peace.

"I am not a public speaker, but I am going to be there because I believe in this," Lynch said of the peace conference. "I want peace to be put in place on this beautiful earth. There is suffering, violence, sorrow . . . making these things go away, who wouldn't want that? Whether you're in the Midwest or Asia?" Lynch asked.

Joining Lynch, Samite and Muller at the conference are John Hagelin, the director of the Institute of World Peace at Maharishi University of Management and president of the U.S. Peace Government; Maureen McCue, adjunct clinical professor at the University of Iowa College of Public Health and a member of Physicians for Social Responsibility, and Sue McGregor, professor and coordinator of the peace and conflict studies program at Mount Saint Vincent University of Halifax, Nova Scotia.Registration for the peace conference is free with a suggested donation. Go to www.creatingpeace.mum.edu for more information or to register, or call (641) 919-1898.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

lamas

what the fuck!?  wasn't Maharishi Mahesh Yogi revealed as a fraud back when the Beatles were into him?  that's supposedly what made Lennon so disillusioned.  McCartney always was the skeptical one.

mogwai

Quote from: lamasMcCartney always was the skeptical one.
erm no, i think it was ringo starr who was.

matt35mm

Quote from: David LynchIt's kind of important to have peace on earth.
You've gotta admire the resolve in his words.