Powerful scenes/sequences

Started by ©brad, March 05, 2003, 05:22:24 AM

bonanzataz

Quote from: BigBadDeathThe last shot/ending of "Being There"

:-D
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

fulty

"Joy-Luck-Club" when the cart breaks.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

jonas

HAL's shutdown in 2001: A Space Odyssey -
"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it."

Amelie - the sweeping over-the-head shot of Amelie skipping rocks in the canal. Great cinematography and great music.

Goodfellas - Layla sequence

Requiem For a Dream - when Sara is drugged out in the hospital and her eyes are wide open and tears start coming out.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

cowboykurtis

IM MAD AS HELL AND IM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE sequence from Network.

Russian Roulette sequence in Deer Hunter

Montage Sequence in Graduate with the transitions from the pool to the bed.

Opening shot of Touch of Evil

the Parallel Climax Sequence of D W Griffith's Intolerance

Baptism sequence from Godfather

Make Em' Laugh -- Singing in the Rain

the end of Its A Wonderful Life
...your excuses are your own...

SHAFTR

Opening shot of Touch of Evil

YES!!!  I agree.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Last sequence of Red: "7 survivors..."

Band Of Outsiders: the Madison in the Cafe
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Requiem for a Dream:  Harry calls Marion (near the end)
I like to hug dogs

ShanghaiOrange

The Ludovico Method in A Clockwork Orange.
The walk down the trench and the sing along in The Paths of Glory
The release of Mordicai in The Royal Tenenbaums
Dignan's run for it in Bottle Rocket.

All of Apocalypse Now. My personal favorite is the scene at the bridge when Willard tries to find a commanding officer.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

-dazza-

Apocalypse Now - Kilgore striding across the sand

Leon - Leon getting shot at the end

Shawshank Redemption - Tommy Williams' shooting

Bangkok Dangerous - Closing Scene

Se7en - Closing Scene

The Godfather - Don Corleone's shooting on the street

There's probably loads more, but I can't think of them.
"Go home, Yank. 'Tis my field." - The late, great, Richard Harris.

Newbie Confusion Device:  CLICK HERE

Cecil

you like it when people get murdered, dont you?

chainsmoking insomniac

1) Don Corleone's murder scene
2) Spaghetti and Helicopters sequence (Goodfellas)
3) "Frogs are raining from the sky!" Phil Hoffman, Magnolia
4) The attack sequence (Flight of the Valkries) in Apocolypse Now/"I order you to go surfing!" (Kilgore after the attack)
5) The library scene in Se7en (with Bach's "Air" playing, the long dollies and slow cuts as Morgan walks through the steeped aisles of books)
6) The music video sequence (Wise Up) in Magnolia...whew....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Redlum

I dunno why but there's this scene In Forest Gump, when he's just driving along on his sit on mower before Jenny returns briefly. It sounds almost comical given the character but I think its a beautiful character moment. Its hard to describe.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Recce

Sequence at the end of Requiem for a dream, when Jared Leto has his arm cut off and everyone goes into the fetus position. That hit me harder then anything I can remember. The music played a huge role in that.

The head drilling sequence in Pie as well. I love Aronofski.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Pedro

Quote from: Recce

The head drilling sequence in Pi  as well. I love Aronofsky.