Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

You Never Got Me Down Ray

I am ashamed that I've never seen ANY of Fellini's films, although I do have 8 1/2 and Amarcord sitting on my shelf. I just feel like they're something I really have to be in the mood for to watch (this is how Bergman is for me, and even still I don't find his movies the masterpieces they're cracked out to be). Are they more accesible than I think? Because if they are, I'll peep 'em this weekend. If not, well, they'll be sitting there on my shelf for another few months.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

SoNowThen

I can't imagine someone who loves movies not enjoying 8 1/2. Amarcord, imo, takes a good 2 -3 viewing to fully appreciate.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenI can't imagine someone who loves movies not enjoying 8 1/2. Amarcord, imo, takes a good 2 -3 viewing to fully appreciate.

Who said I love movies?  :-D

Thanks. I saw the opening scene of 8 1/2 and it was amazing, but I didn't have time to watch the whole thing and since then just haven't gotten around to it. I'll definitely get around to it this weekend, but I also have about 40 others I own that I have yet to see. Damn I hate movies.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

Alethia

i netflixed 8 1/2 and the subtitles wouldnt work so i sent it back and went to my library and took it out and again, that ones subtitles didnt work so the first time i saw it i watched it in italian, and it was cool, but ive since bought it and the subtitles work so now i like it even more

Redlum

I watched 8&1/2 about a month ago and was mesmerised by it but didn't quite connect to it as much as I would have liked too. There were moments but I couldn't hold onto them. Im going to give it another go purely because that last sequence is still so vivid in my memory.
However, I watched La Dolce Vita last night and absolutely loved it. Does anyone know about some kind of DVD restoration because the region 2 I had wasn't in great shape. I'd really like to own a version of my own.

Tonight I'm watching Roma.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Alethia

Quote from: ®edlumTonight I'm watching Roma.

Roma is good.......but thats just because the good parts are so good they make up for the boring ones.....

SoNowThen

Quote from: ®edlum
Tonight I'm watching Roma.

Do me a favor and see if you can spot Marcello Mastroianni. He's listed on the dvd as being in it as himself, but after 4 viewings I still can't pick him out...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

I watched 8 1/2 once, but I watched few minutes here and there so I don't remember the experience.  I rented it from the library a while ago, but the DVD was scratched up.

I liked Nights of Cabiria.  Didn't care for Juliet of the Spirits.

Redlum

Just watched Roma and pretty much agree with what you said, eward. Favourite section being the discovery of Roman chamber whilst digging for the subway.

I didn't see Marcello, even when I ws looking out for him. Maybe its like PTA in Minority Report.

The last Fellini film that my rental service has is Satyricon (next in my rental queue). There is only four available on Region 2 DVD. And the Region ones are too expensive to blind buy  :(
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

red, if you can, get ahold of John Baxter's Fellini biography. It's got a chapter by chapter of each film, and the Roma one is particularily good (and puts a lot of the more confusing italian stuff in context).

I found the book for $1 at a discount bookstore once...

Redlum

Thanks for the tip, SNT. I managed to find it at a reasonable price on Amazon marketplace. I have Baxters biography of De Niro in the queue on my shelf.
  -  George Lucas

godardian

I have his Woody Allen bio... which is fine, though his criticisms of Husbands and Wives are wrong, wrong, wrong...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

I watched 8 1/2 yesterday and it was about what I had expected, and maybe a little more. It was definitely a trip, kinda like one of those dreams that isn't quite good, but not a nightmare. Like something just isn't right, but you can't pull yourself out of it. I'm probably not making much sense right now, but that's how I felt watching it.

After it was over I thought, hey, I can understand why this film is so highly touted, but I have connected with so many more "classics" better than I did with this. Then when I was out last night I found myself constantly thinking about it and that's when I started to realize just how great it really is. I think the scene that really stood out for me (or maybe this was just when my buzz was at its peak) was the flashback to Guido's childhood when the women were bathing all the kids. The atmosphere Fellini creates is awesome, and the music throughout, but especially in that scene, didn't hurt either.

On deck, Criterion Spine #4, Amarcord.

The Silver Bullet

Amarcord mopped the floor with me.
It blew me out of the cinematic water.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

I've heard bad things about John Baxter's books.
context, context, context.