sound recording & editing: i don't know shit

Started by snaporaz, March 12, 2003, 12:02:17 PM

snaporaz

as you may already know, i plan on making a movie. and i'm still wondering how i can record and edit sound.

first off, i do not know shit about actual movie soundtracks. so i'm here asking for one of you to teach me the basics of recording, editing, and fixing up a soundtrack to a film.

keep in mind i have very, very little money to spend, and i don't plan on buying any high-tech or otherwise expensive equipment.

recording
1. what medium/format of audio equipment should i use?
2. where can i find a decent microphone? radio shack or something?
3. how exactly do i use the tape recorder synch terminal on my camera? is it necessary?

editing
1. what's the most common way to record sound for movies? what's the cheapest way? how can editing be done with either way/s?

watching the movie
1. let's say no computers were involved in making this movie - to watch my movie, i'd have to play the soundtrack on a stereo in synch with the film projector?
2. what would i have to do to get my soundtrack onto the actual film? is that impossible with 8mm? and if it is impossible to have the actual soundtrack on 8mm [which i'm assuming it is], is it still possible to have a sound-movie?

basically, i'm asking three questions. since i only have a camera and a tripod and nothing else, what would be the simplest, most cost-effective way to record sound: record onto what, how to edit, and how to play it with the film.

and please don't say "well, just edit it on a computer blah blah blah". i do not have the money to upgrade my computer to handle digital editing. i might be able to use a local school's computers and probably end up bumping it onto dvd for a final product - maybe. but i still want to be able to see my movie on a wall from a projector.

and please don't laugh at my ignorance at all this. i only have a fair knowledge of photography and have only been watching movies my whole life. this "becoming a filmmaker" thing just started for me a couple months ago.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: snaporaz2. what would i have to do to get my soundtrack onto the actual

to answer this.....yes...you need to get an optical track put on the final print of the film....which can really cost a lot depending on the length...and then obviously project it with a sound projector....

aclockworkjj

Also....take a look at Ghostboy's website....it will probably help you a lot...

http://www.road-dog-productions.com/   ....or click his button on his posts

Xixax

Home computers have really made all of that stuff so accessible these days - there's not really a good reason not to edit on PC, even if you're shooting on film.

Sync is a piece of cake IF you have a decent recording device (one that doesn't drift speedwise - like mini disc or DAT). All you have to do is use a slate and CLICK really loud. Then in post, you just sync the click with the visual of the board closing. That's what they used it for years ago. I dunno what they use it for now other than scene ID and such since all the sync is electronic with SMPTE now for the "real" productions.

Anyway, I have synced music videos with 2-pop before and it works great. Just have to be sure that your audio and video don't drift. If they do, keep your takes short and you still might not notice it. Even that can be corrected with the right software, but it's a pain to do.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]