XIXAX.COM is not currently funded

Started by 82, May 28, 2005, 04:05:28 PM

Raikus

Another idea is to have a DVD auction and the proceeds go to Xixax. Some of the users give up some DVD's that are sitting in their collection, people bid, winner get's the DVD and the winner's money is donated to Xixax.

I've got a couple I'd donate.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Reinhold

yeah, just getting distributed among us and any other random person who'd chip in $15 or $20 for a compilation of projects by unknown cinephiles.

raikus-- it's funny that you posted that. i was just coming back here to suggest an ebay garage sale for xixax. ... post items for auction either on ebay open to the general public and then link to the auctions here.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

i don't know how many ppl are seriously interested in this.. seems kind of unorganized.. randomly brought up again. but good luck anyway.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

8 more days...........................................................................................

Reinhold

Quote from: Pubricki don't know how many ppl are seriously interested in this.. seems kind of unorganized.. randomly brought up again. but good luck anyway.

it is still unorganized. and it's randomly brought up again now because i finally have my computer and software. waiting for me when i get home from NY.

as for people being interested, i was hoping that the few people who said they'd buy one would buy one and that at least four or five people would send stuff in.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Kal

How serious is that? Will the shut down the server? How does it work? Who manages the account?

MacGuffin

Quote from: andykHow serious is that? Will the shut down the server? How does it work? Who manages the account?

Quote from: XixaxI don't want anything regarding the donations to be misinterpreted. Mad Dancer Media is measuring the gifts "at cost" to us. There's not any real profit being made. It's the expense of what this site amounts to on our server each month.

If anyone doesn't feel like helping out, they're certainly still welcome here. The donations are just a passive way to ask those who might WANT to, to help us cover the expenses of running the place. That's all.

Let me go on record as saying: This site will never resort to paid popup ads. It's not, and never has been about making money.  I'm just opening the OPTION for users to help my company cover the expenses of running the site. If someone wants to help, great. If someone thinks we're crazy for asking, fine. It's all up to the individual.

The (legitimate) question has been posed, "what if the day arrives when the site is not funded"?

If that day arrives, what will happen? Chances are that the same thing will happen as happened during the first year of the life of Xixax. Mad Dancer Media will eat the cost of hosting.

The donations simply insure the board's future, rather than making it dependent on the whim of whether or not I decide it's worth continuing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Let not fear inspire donations. Xixax will not die.

mogwai

there are people here who spend money on dvd's. why not take some of those money and donate to xixax? if ya'll desperately want this place to stay why not do something about it?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

20 dollars... the cost of a DVD or frappacino at Starbucks could afford Xixax to live on...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pedro

Quote from: W20 dollars... the cost of a DVD or frappacino at Starbucks could afford Xixax to live on...
you donate it

hedwig

will there be a mass migration to another board when/if this shuts down?

if so - where?

Fernando

Quote from: Hedwigwill there be a mass migration to another board when/if this shuts down?

if so - where?

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanXixax will not die.

Pubrick

Quote from: Hedwigwill there be a mass migration to another board when/if this shuts down?

if so - where?
NOTHING IS HAPPENING JULY 18.

IF AFTER READING THIS PAGE YOU STILL THINK THIS PLACE IS GONNA SHUT DOWN JULY 18 PLEASE LEAVE THE SITE NOW AND KILL YOURSELF.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

When the community.ptanderson.com boards shut down, several of us went to IMDb's Magnolia board to regroup. So keep that in mind if Michael Wilson is disappeared by the CIA and all his Swiss bank accounts are frozen.