Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

mogwai

Quote from: Stefen on January 16, 2008, 09:12:49 AM
Pshhh. If I had those types of powers my shitty movie watching would have disastrous results.

i take it you haven't seen CMMB yet?

Stefen

Quote from: mogwai on January 16, 2008, 09:27:05 AM
Quote from: Stefen on January 16, 2008, 09:12:49 AM
Pshhh. If I had those types of powers my shitty movie watching would have disastrous results.

i take it you haven't seen CMMB yet?

Oh, I think we'll all know when I see CMBB.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

yeah, paul dano will be dead.

Stefen

I've watched bits and parts of it though. I'd say around 10 minutes. What are the consequences of that? PTA will probably get a bum knee, or Dano will get wounded in a knife fight, but live.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

Quote from: Stefen on January 16, 2008, 10:44:05 AM
I've watched bits and parts of it though. I'd say around 10 minutes. What are the consequences of that?
vince froio, prepare to meet your maker.

Ravi

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/19/entertainment/e211350S41.DTL

'Newhart' Actress Suzanne Pleshette Dies
By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer
Sunday, January 20, 2008
(01-20) 04:53 PST Los Angeles (AP)

Suzanne Pleshette, the husky-voiced star best known for her role as Bob Newhart's sardonic wife on television's long-running "The Bob Newhart Show," has died at age 70.

Pleshette, whose career included roles in such films as Hitchcock's "The Birds" and in Broadway plays including "The Miracle Worker," died of respiratory failure Saturday evening at her Los Angeles home, said her attorney Robert Finkelstein, also a family friend.

Pleshette underwent chemotherapy for lung cancer in 2006.

"The Bob Newhart Show, a hit throughout its six-year run, starred comedian Newhart as a Chicago psychiatrist surrounded by eccentric patients. Pleshette provided the voice of reason.

Four years after the show ended in 1978, Newhart went on to the equally successful "Newhart" series in which he was the proprietor of a New England inn populated by more eccentrics. When that show ended in 1990, Pleshette reprised her role — from the first show — in one of the most clever final episodes in TV history.

It had Newhart waking up in the bedroom of his "The Bob Newhart Show" home with Pleshette at his side. He went on to tell her of the crazy dream he'd just had of running an inn filled with eccentrics.

"If I'm in Timbuktu, I'll fly home to do that," Pleshette said of her reaction when Newhart told her how he was thinking of ending the show.

Born Jan. 31, 1937, in New York City, Pleshette began her career as a stage actress after attending the city's High School of the Performing Arts and studying at its Neighborhood Playhouse. She was often picked for roles because of her beauty and her throaty voice.

"When I was 4," she told an interviewer in 1994, "I was answering the phone, and (the callers) thought I was my father. So I often got quirky roles because I was never the conventional ingenue."

She met her future husband, Tom Poston, when they appeared together in the 1959 Broadway comedy "The Golden Fleecing," but didn't marry him until more than 40 years later.

Although the two had a brief fling, they went on to marry others. By 2000 both were widowed and they got back together, marrying the following year.

"He was such a wonderful man. He had fun every day of his life," Pleshette said after Poston died in April 2007.

Among her other Broadway roles was replacing Anne Bancroft in "The Miracle Worker," the 1959 drama about Helen Keller, in New York and on the road.

Meanwhile, she had launched her film career with Jerry Lewis in 1958 in "The Geisha Boy." She went on to appear in numerous television shows, including "Have Gun, Will Travel,""Alfred Hitchcock Presents,""Playhouse 90" and "Naked City."

By the early 1960s, Pleshette attracted a teenage following with her youthful roles in such films as "Rome Adventure,""Fate Is the Hunter,""Youngblood Hawke" and "A Distant Trumpet."

She married fellow teen favorite Troy Donahue, her co-star in "Rome Adventure," in 1964 but the union lasted less than a year. She was married to Texas oilman Tim Gallagher from 1968 until his death in 2000.

Pleshette matured in such films as Hitchcock's "The Birds" and the Disney comedies "The Ugly Dachshund,""Blackbeard's Ghost" and "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin." Over the years, she also had a busy career in TV movies, including playing the title role in 1990's "Leona Helmsley, the Queen of Mean."

More recently, she appeared in several episodes of the TV sitcoms "Will & Grace" and "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter."

In a 1999 interview, Pleshette observed that being an actress was more important than being a star.

"I'm an actress, and that's why I'm still here," she said. "Anybody who has the illusion that you can have a career as long as I have and be a star is kidding themselves."

Stefen

It's really crazy how deaths come in threes. Brad Renfro, and Heath Ledger. I wonder who is next.  :(

modage

i thought Suzanne Pleshette was the first?  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Marlon Brando's son dies at 49 in Los Angeles

Christian Brando, the eldest son of Hollywood icon Marlon Brando who made worldwide news in 1990 by shooting dead his sister's boyfriend, died on Saturday at the age of 49, his lawyer said.

Brando, son of the Oscar-winning screen star and Welsh actress Anna Kashfi, died early on Saturday of complications from pneumonia, attorney Bruce Margolin said.

He had been hospitalized at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center since January 11 with pneumonia and his ex-wife, Deborah, told People magazine in a story for their Web site that he had been comatose and on a respirator.

"His body was totally compromised," she said. "He'd lived so hard ... this is just so sad."

Representatives for Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center declined to comment.

Brando fatally shot Dag Drollet on May 16, 1990, after his sister Cheyenne told him that her 26-year-old boyfriend had been beating her.

His arrest and subsequent legal proceedings made international headlines, fueled by Marlon Brando's tearful plea for leniency on his eldest son's behalf in a Southern California courtroom.

Christian Brando pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 10 years in prison, serving almost five years behind bars before he was released.

He told the Los Angeles Times in a 1991 interview that he never intended to kill Drollet, but that the gun went off accidentally while the two struggled.

"I just sat there and watched the life go out of this guy," Brando told the newspaper.

Cheyenne Brando committed suicide in 1995, at the age of 25, by hanging herself at her mother's home in Tahiti.

Brando also figured in the murder trial of actor Robert Blake, who was acquitted in the May 4, 2001 shooting death of his wife, Bonny Lee Bakley.

Christian Brando had briefly dated Bakley, and defense lawyers suggested that he could have been the killer, but he was never arrested or charged in her death and police cleared him of any involvement.

Brando was called as a witness during Blake's subsequent civil trial but refused to testify and was fined for contempt of court.

In 2005, he pleaded guilty to spousal abuse charges involving his then-wife, Deborah, and was placed on probation.

Marlon Brando, considered one of the greatest actors of his generation, won Academy Awards for his acclaimed roles in "On the Waterfront" and "The Godfather."

He died in 2004 at the age of 80.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Stefen on January 22, 2008, 09:39:39 PM
It's really crazy how deaths come in threes. Brad Renfro, and Heath Ledger. I wonder who is next.  :(
There you go. A once-thought-to-be-the-next-Brando, a current-thought-to-be-the-next-Brando, and the real current Brando.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

edison

Roy Scheider, a stage actor with a background in the classics who became one of the leading figures in the American film renaissance of the 1970s, died on Sunday afternoon in Little Rock, Ark. He was 75 and lived in Sag Harbor, N.Y.

Mr. Scheider had suffered from multiple myeloma for several years, and died of complications from a staph infection, his wife, Brenda Seimer, said.

Mr. Scheider's rangy figure, gaunt face and emotional openness made him particularly appealing in everyman roles, most famously as the agonized police chief of "Jaws," Steven Spielberg's 1975 breakthrough hit, about a New England resort town haunted by the knowledge that a killer shark is preying on the local beaches.

Mr. Scheider conveyed an accelerated metabolism in movies like "Klute" (1971), his first major film role, in which he played a threatening pimp to Jane Fonda's New York call girl; and in William Friedkin's "French Connection" (also 1971), as Buddy Russo, the slightly more restrained partner to Gene Hackman's marauding police detective, Popeye Doyle. That role earned Mr. Scheider the first of two Oscar nominations.

Born in 1932 in Orange, N.J., Mr. Scheider earned his distinctive broken nose in the New Jersey Diamond Gloves Competition. He studied at Rutgers and at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., where he graduated as a history major with the intention of going to law school. He served three years in the United States Air Force, rising to the rank of first lieutenant. When he was discharged, he returned to Franklin and Marshall to star in a production of "Richard III."

His professional debut was as Mercutio in a 1961 New York Shakespeare Festival production of "Romeo and Juliet." While continuing to work onstage, he made his movie debut in "The Curse of the Living Corpse" (1964), a low-budget horror film by the prolific schlockmeister Del Tenney. "He had to bend his knees to die into a moat full of quicksand up in Connecticut," recalled Ms. Seimer, a documentary filmmaker. "He loved to demonstrate that."

In 1977 Mr. Scheider worked with Mr. Friedkin again in "Sorcerer," a big-budget remake of Henri-Georges Clouzot's 1953 French thriller, "The Wages of Fear," about transporting a dangerous load of nitroglycerine in South America.

Offered a leading role in "The Deer Hunter" (1979), Mr. Scheider had to turn it down in order to fulfill his contract with Universal for a sequel to "Jaws." (The part went to Robert De Niro.)

"Jaws 2" failed to recapture the appeal of the first film, but Mr. Scheider bounced back, accepting the principal role in Bob Fosse's autobiographical phantasmagoria of 1979, "All That Jazz." Equipped with Mr. Fosse's Mephistophelean beard and manic drive, Mr. Scheider's character, Joe Gideon, gobbled amphetamines in an attempt to stage a new Broadway show while completing the editing of a film (and pursuing a parade of alluring young women) — a monumental act of self-abuse that leads to open-heart surgery. This won Mr. Scheider an Academy Award nomination in the best actor category. (Dustin Hoffman won that year, for "Kramer vs. Kramer.")

In 1980, Mr. Scheider returned to his first love, the stage, where his performance in a production of Harold Pinter's "Betrayal" opposite Blythe Danner and Raul Julia earned him the Drama League of New York award for distinguished performance. Although he continued to be active in films, notably in Robert Benton's "Still of the Night" (1982) and John Badham's action spectacular "Blue Thunder" (1983), he moved from leading men to character roles, including an American spy in Fred Schepisi's "Russia House" (1990) and a calculating Mafia don in "Romeo Is Bleeding" (1993).

One of the most memorable performances of his late career was as the sinister, wisecracking Dr. Benway in David Cronenberg's adaptation of William S. Burroughs's "Naked Lunch" (1991).

Living in Sag Harbor, Mr. Scheider continued to appear in films and lend his voice to documentaries, becoming, Ms. Seimer said, increasingly politically active. With the poet Kathy Engle, he helped to found the Hayground School in Bridgehampton, dedicated to creating an innovative, culturally diverse learning environment for local children. At the time of his death, Mr. Scheider was involved in a project to build a film studio in Florence, Italy, for a series about the history of the Renaissance.

Besides his wife, his survivors include three children, Christian Verrier Scheider and Molly Mae Scheider, with Ms. Seimer, and Maximillia Connelly Lord, from an earlier marriage, to Cynthia Bebout; a brother, Glenn Scheider of Summit, N.J.; and two grandchildren.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Not that it's a competition, but given the career, Roy outweighs the loss of Ledger.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

Quote from: Walrus on February 12, 2008, 01:13:34 PM
Not that it's a competition, but given the career, Roy outweighs the loss of Ledger.

it's offensive to "weigh" out losses like this, but since it started anyway: Ledger's loss is WAY worse because Roy was done... sick for a really long time... his greatness was completed... Ledger was just getting started and had great things in his future.

squints

the recent death of my cat OUTWEIGHS all of this! He had such a promising career.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche