Brazoliange

ahh okay, thanks P

The Lawnmower Man
Dark City
The Dead Zone (Cronenberg)
Long live the New Flesh

matt35mm

Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song.

Y'know, it's not really all that fun to watch, but it still felt like a necessary viewing.  Just because it's not that great of a movie doesn't mean it wasn't important, which it was.  So yeah.  No regrets watching it, but this has been done better since its release.

Weak2ndAct

Self-destruction doc double feature:

DIG!: I'll admit, I'm musically retarded.  I really know nothing/care about music post-Nirvana, much less like any of it.  So the idea of watching a movie about 2 bands I knew nothing about seemed like a bad idea... Wrong!  I love love love this movie, the box's description of the flick being like being a car accident is pretty spot-on.  Watching Anton Newcombe and his band implode in front of our eyes is something to behold.  Funny, disturbing, and tragic.  The Dandy Warhols come off okay, but they're less interesting since they're well, succeeding.  But the contrast between the two bands, and their scrapes, makes for good drama.  The dvd is super loaded too.  I'd really like to see a version of this movie with two filmmakers.

BURDEN OF DREAMS: I haven't seen 'Fitzcarraldo' (sadly, I haven't seen much Herzog, but I will soon), so I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this making-of-doc.  Don't matter.  Watching Herzog's dreams/film/boat crumble before his eyes is some great stuff.  This is the kind of stuff I wished I would have seen in 'Lockness.'  I'm still amazed how 'together' Werner managed to remain despite the years of problems.  Still working, still philosophical.  No Coppola-like madness.  I'm really going to have to see 'Fitz' now, just to see what the hell he managed to make of this experience (the doc doesn't appear to give much hope).  Best scene: the boat crashing.  Again.  And again.  Wow.

Stefen

Dig was fantastic. By the end of it though the singer from the Dandy Warhols began getting on my nerves. Some colorful characters in that. That tambourine player cracked me up, whats his deal? He was like the siliasruby of the band. The massacres blowups at important gigs was almost sad but funny at the same time. I loved seeing that crap. Also, this may sound bad but I was kind of dissapointed that Anton Newcombe didn't die by the end. It seemed thats where it was headed, but didn't happen.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

What!!!???? Dig is fucking terrible!

Who wants to see a boring, poorly made documentary about a bunch of assholes in couple talentless bands?

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarateWhat!!!???? Dig is fucking terrible!

Who wants to see a boring, poorly made documentary about a bunch of assholes in couple talentless bands?

I thought the Massacre were fantastic. As a matter of fact, after I saw it, I went and DLED their album Give It Back (I think) off of their website. You're just a hater.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jtm

Quote from: matt35mmSweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song.

Y'know, it's not really all that fun to watch, but it still felt like a necessary viewing.  Just because it's not that great of a movie doesn't mean it wasn't important, which it was.  So yeah.  No regrets watching it, but this has been done better since its release.

ha, me and you are prolly the only ones who saw this. i worked on Baadasssss and was intrigued by the back story so i felt inclined to pick this up.  i was surprised it was even on DVD..... ur right, it's not a great movie, but i think it could have been with a bigger budget.... did you check out the special features with Melvin Van Peebles sucking on the girlies tit?  CREEPY!

Ghostboy

I loved Dig! Regardless of how you feel about the bands, the dichotomy between Taylor and Newcombe was fascinating and, in my opinion, invaluable.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jay Tee Em
Quote from: matt35mmSweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song.

ha, me and you are prolly the only ones who saw this.
what are u talking about, if anything the large majority of ppl would hav seen it before Baadassss brought it to recent attention. it's a really popular film.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Yeah JTM. What the hell?

jtm

jeez, i had not heard of it before Baadassss, sooorrrry!  

guess that makes me a terrible person.

Stefen

Well you should know about these things beforehand if you don't want to get called out!!! It's a worthy call out, make no mistake about it. Smarten up kid! JEEZ!!

jtm

don't ever fucking call me kid again

meatball

Pay some respect to JTM, he's been yelled at by Tom Cruise.

jtm

where'd Pubrick's post go?  i was about to go off!