Smells like teen spirit called best song of past 25 years

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 10, 2003, 07:37:02 PM

Mesh

If the list contains "Once in a Lifetime," by Talking Heads, I'll give it its props.  Perhaps the best pop song I've ever heard.

Hey, are the Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in the UK" or "God Save the Queen" within the 25-year range?

Sigur Rós

Quote from: MeshIf the list contains "Once in a Lifetime," by Talking Heads, I'll give it its props.  Perhaps the best pop song I've ever heard.
¨

It's a fucking great song! The lyrics are great!

Sleuth

I remember I first heard that song around 4th or 5th grade and I couldn't stop thinking about it all day it school
I like to hug dogs

Just Withnail

QuoteIt's certainly not anymore ludicrous than naming the Nirvana song as the "Best in the last 25 years".

Not that I have an opinion, but yes, I think it is.  :P

I totally agree with all of you saying Teen Spirit shouldn't be on the top. I think it's a great song (though far far from their best) and Nirvana's my favourite band, and had it been 100 Most Important Songs, it definitely should've been on top. But (but!) it's not, and Raikus, you have no idea of how right you are in saying Bohemian Rhapsody should be there, right at the top. Damn that song is... beyond words. But 25 years, damn.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: SalI agree with VH1's conclusion, namely because I can't think of a better replacement for the most influential ass kicking song from the past 25 years.

Wonderwall.

No matter what you think of Oasis, you gotta admit it's a great song.

I LOVE OASIS , This is just to weird man

liam and noel were like some of the only rock stars in the 90's worth a fuck

SoNowThen

So true.

May I say I think you have absolutely splendid taste? You do.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenSo true.

im tellin ya man, if only more people here had your taste ....

morning glory, what a fucking song

it makes you feel like its 7 27 AM and you have been doing coke for two days non stop

when they came out, i was just only into hip hop because i was a kid and well alternative music bored the fuck out of me

then these guys came out and they had the attitudte and style of hip hop and i fucking loved them

live forever, wow that was great

SoNowThen

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan
Quote from: SoNowThenSo true.

im tellin ya man, if only more people here had your taste ....

morning glory, what a fucking song

it makes you feel like its 7 27 AM and you have been doing coke for two days non stop

when they came out, i was just only into hip hop because i was a kid and well alternative music bored the fuck out of me

then these guys came out and they had the attitudte and style of hip hop and i fucking loved them

live forever, wow that was great

Yes, so good. Be Here Now in its entirety is just a perfect fucking example of wonderful rock and roll excess. Blissfully huge. Love it.

And all their b-sides are great as well. Particularily Talk Tonight.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

It is pointless to argue about what should be on the list. The list should just not exist.

godardian

Quote from: MeshIf the list contains "Once in a Lifetime," by Talking Heads, I'll give it its props.  Perhaps the best pop song I've ever heard.

Hey, are the Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in the UK" or "God Save the Queen" within the 25-year range?

They're not, no. Sex Pistols year of brith was my year of birth, and I'm no longer 25, so...

I like "Once in a Lifetime" more these days than I ever did for a very long time. David Byrne rubs me the wrong way sometimes.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: BoothIt is pointless to argue about what should be on the list. The list should just not exist.

I sort of agree. At least, nobody should put any stock in the list or think it means anything.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Unless their fav song is number one. In that case, defend it like crazy. That's what I would do.

:)

USTopGun47

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: Booth
Oh my god, is that the one with the Led Zep's Kashmir sampling that came out like 4 months ago ?! I'll go cry in my room now.

I don't know, but have you heard Puff Daddy - Come With Me

why the fuck did Page do that?
God yes - on the Godzilla soundtrack if I remember.  Bad idea, stealing Kashmir.  I really hate that.  Like 2Pac with Bruce Hornsby and the Range's "The Way It Is." Ahhhh!  AFI lists suck ass, there isn't "the greatest film ever created" set on some stone that says Citizen Kane falling from the heavens and they automatically must be classified as classics.  Same as VH1 countdowns.  Though they can be interesting - heh like with Jim Morrison and John Lennon in some of them.   :shock:
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

USTopGun47

Quote from: SalI agree with VH1's conclusion, namely because I can't think of a better replacement for the most influential ass kicking song from the past 25 years.

Wonderwall.

Fuck man, Wonderwall is great.  Not their best in my opinion, but great.  I mean, Oasis kicks ass.  Much of their music is very similiar to and influential in Radiohead music (of course there is the whole English thing).  But excellent, excellent band.  I also love Don't Look Back In Anger, that's my fav. Oasis song.   :-D
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Quote from: USTopGun47

Wonderwall.

Fuck man, Wonderwall is great.  Not their best in my opinion, but great.  I mean, Oasis kicks ass.  Much of their music is very similiar to and influential in Radiohead music (of course there is the whole English thing).  But excellent, excellent band.  I also love Don't Look Back In Anger, that's my fav. Oasis song.   :-D

somebody asked liam back in 98 what he thought of radiohead

and he said " i dunno they look like a bunch of fuckin students" pretty much says it all