Noah

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2006, 01:13:15 AM

Sleepless

That trailer hasn't made me more/less excited about this at all. Which I suppose is a good thing.

You just know the marketing department is probably doing one hell of a balancing act right now on this movie. It's interesting to see how the trailers handle the whole talking-to-God aspect of it. I suspect that this is going to upset some people in that while it is very much a religious movie, it won't necessarily be the traditionally religious movie of yore, which could upset some people.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

strangely enough i didnt think of it too heavily like that. is this going to be like the passion when it comes out?
surely not, considering its not nearly as significant in that aspect, but i mean, them folks is crazy.

Drenk

I read about conflicts between Paramount and Aronofsky about the cut of the movie, they don't want his version, and I read that they're doing a lot of projections test. Anyway, you'll have stupid people hating this movie because it comes from the Bible or because it's not exactly what the Bible says.

I'm curious to see what Aronofsky does with it. But I'm worried about the CGI. It doesn't look good...
Ascension.

Stefen

Isn't Aronofsky jewish? Isn't he one of the only animals Noah didn't force to ride his zoo boat? Thank god they were able to find that mountain in the poster.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mel

Quote from: Drenk on November 14, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
But I'm worried about the CGI. It doesn't look good...

I have the same feeling, it is especially noticeable in teaser:

Some of my picks for ugly CGI:

• around 5 seconds in - meteor crash
  • around 55 seconds in - those birds...
  • around 1 minute and 15 seconds in - fire sword
Bad editing of trailers didn't help either. I wasn't excited for film before, this didn't change that. Still I will cheer for Darren - maybe Noah will surprise me?
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Why are they so afraid to say it's just a story?

Fucking Christian America. That will be its downfall. It's like when Hitler's henchmen were too afraid to tell him they were losing the war inside the bunker.

It's nigh impossible to defend this film if they insist on pushing the "untold story from a real world event" angle. It's 2014 for Sagan's sake. smh. And we wonder where our hoverboards are..
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Aronscarfsky wins battle with studio over cuts to Noah
The Black Swan director was 'upset' over the studio's attempt to appease religious audiences by recutting his biblical epic

Darren Aronofsky says he has won a battle with executives at Hollywood studio Paramount over final cut on the biblical epic Noah.

Aronofsky's big budget fantasy has been plagued by reports that Paramount bigwigs cut their own versions following negative reactions from test screenings for US religious audiences, a demographic the $130m film needs to address if it is to stand a chance of recouping its gargantuan budget. But in the new issue of the Hollywood Reporter, the director of Black Swan and The Wrestler insists that the final version audiences will get to see in multiplexes is entirely his own. His victory might be a somewhat pyrrhic one, however, since Paramount appears to have given up the fight after its own versions of the film tested no better with Christians than the director's cut.

"They tried what they wanted to try, and eventually they came back," Aronofsky told the Hollywood Reporter. "My version of the film hasn't been tested ... It's what we wrote and what was greenlighted."

The film-maker admits to being hugely frustrated by the process, which took place after he gave up final cut in return for securing Noah's huge budget. "I was upset - of course," he said. "No one's ever done that to me."

Religious audiences are said to have been dismissive of scenes in which a dark-hearted Noah, played by Russell Crowe, gets drunk and ponders taking extreme measures to wipe mankind from the face of the Earth. Many complained that the film inaccurately represented the biblical story upon which it is based, despite the fact that a scene in which Noah has one too many after finding land with his Ark does appear in the Bible.

Paramount is said to have come up with as many as half a dozen cuts of the film in its efforts to find a balanced proposition. In the meantime, Aronofsky sat tight, confident that the film only worked according to his original vision.

"My guys and I were pretty sure that because of the nature of the film and how we work, there wasn't another version," said the director. "That's what I told them ... the scenes were so interconnected - if you started unwinding scenes, I just knew there would be holes. I showed it to film-maker friends, and they said the DNA was set in this film."

Noah, which also stars Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Hopkins and Emma Watson, has also made waves after it emerged that Aronofsky's ambitious version features six-armed angels and Ray Winstone as the antediluvian patriarch's previously unheralded nemesis, Tubal-Cain. The film is due for release in the US on 28 March, the UK on 4 April and Australia on 27 March.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/13/darren-aronofsky

Kellen

Sleepless

Quote from: Kellen on March 11, 2014, 03:17:51 PM
twitter reactions

This has made me more eager to see this than anything else since this film was first announced. Thanks for sharing, because I certainly wouldn't have sought out Twitter reactions.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kellen

Quote from: Sleepless on March 12, 2014, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: Kellen on March 11, 2014, 03:17:51 PM
twitter reactions

This has made me more eager to see this than anything else since this film was first announced. Thanks for sharing, because I certainly wouldn't have sought out Twitter reactions.

Would it have made you happier if I put "early buzz"?  It's not actual random twitter thoughts from 15 year old kids; it's a bunch of critics.

Sleepless

Not a comment on you, and I'm not sure if you thought I was being sarcastic/facetious. I wasn't. I don't know who any of those people are, but what they said made me more interested in the film. As I said, thanks for sharing.

Kellen

Quote from: Sleepless on March 13, 2014, 01:55:35 PM
Not a comment on you, and I'm not sure if you thought I was being sarcastic/facetious. I wasn't. I don't know who any of those people are, but what they said made me more interested in the film. As I said, thanks for sharing.

My apologies, I'm sorry if I came off as rude.  I added "via /film" so people didn't think i linked to an actual twitter search with the word 'noah'.

jenkins

yeah. ooooh. aronscarfsky wanted to explore the rich tradition of young adult fantasy stories. are the stone warriors in the bible? i forget. no, i never knew. i think lord of the rings and the bible are about the same page length to read, though i think the bible has sold better, but anyway the movies are kinda the same kinda. in each, everyone is very serious while they talk between battles, there's a ring/rain thing, and of course themes of personal responsibility. sweet montages in noah, and some boat action. i forget which movie has the hobbits. yes. <-^- all 100% accurate, obviously

Alexandro

I'm a little surprised no one is talking about this film here. I haven't seen it, and I was kind of hoping to read some opinions here before deciding if it's worth the trip. I suppose most of you are inclined, like me, to see this some other time.