U-Turn

Started by nevereven, March 18, 2003, 08:25:48 AM

nevereven

I caught this film real late one night on a really obscure channel here in england, and i loved it, i then went and searched every film store till i found it, and it is still one of the best movies i own.

What do you guys reckon?
Your face isnt a question....

Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life.

©brad

film noir with an oliver stone twist, great cinematography and editing, cool music, hysterical dark humor- :yabbse-thumbup:

the best line in the movie-

Jenny: You like Patsy Kline? I just love her. How come she don't put out more new records?
Bobby: Cause she's dead.
Jenny: Oh, that sad. Don't that make you sad?
Bobby: I've had time to get over it.

Pubrick

Quote from: cbrad4dbest line in the movie-

Jenny: You like Patsy Kline? I just love her. How come she don't put out more new records?
Bobby: Cause she's dead.
Jenny: Oh, that sad. Don't that make you sad?
Bobby: I've had time to get over it.

lotta good lines in that movie..

Bobby: Darrell, 40,000 people die every day. Why aren't you one of them?
---------
Blind Man: Everything is everything. And everything is nothing, too.
---

don't know bout the ending tho, and J-Lo barely shows anything. still..
under the paving stones.

©brad

yeah, the ending won't exactly brighten your day. On the set Stone offerred a $10,000 reward to anyone who could come up with a better ending. No one did.

Cecil

Quote from: cbrad4dOn the set Stone offerred a $10,000 reward to anyone who could come up with a better ending.

is this true? i think the ending is great.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: cbrad4dOn the set Stone offerred a $10,000 reward to anyone who could come up with a better ending.

is this true? i think the ending is great.

While Stone usually commands big budgets for his films, he invoked yet more change and specifically requested a smaller budget for what he considered to be a "pure genre-driven narrative story."

"I did it at a lower price because I didn't think it should cost more and I didn't want pressure to bring back a whole bundle of money," Stone says. "We attracted a great cast, we couldn't pay them a whole lot, but they took profit participation which is how movies should be done."

In place of a high salary, the cast had more collaboration in the character and plot development. For instance, Stone offered $10,000 to anyone in the crew who could come up with a better ending to the movie.

Entire article here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nevereven

Cheers for that article, it was interesting.

What got me was the utter hopelessness of the situation, and Sean Penn`s frustation, that Stone managed to portray to the viewer so well that it made you fell tense and distraught watching it.

The ending was farcical, it basically went, "you`re dead!"..."haha, no im not, you`re dead"..."No, i`m not, you`re dead"...e.t.c.
Your face isnt a question....

Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of the day...Set a man on fire, and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life.

©brad

i just admire stone for trying new things. the style of u-turn is so innovative and ballsy. I don't know, it doesn't seem show-offy at all to me. some of those shots were incredible, esp. the ones by the cliff, the various POV shots of birds flying overhead, the supermarket robbery sequence- its amazing.

life_boy

I didn't think too much of U-Turn when I saw it.  Kinda hard to believe because I'm a big Stone fan and of course Sean Penn is always good but for some reason it just didn't do it for me.  I should give another try sometime soon and see how it works on second viewing.