cut and shoot

Started by mutinyco, July 27, 2003, 11:20:39 AM

mutinyco

Who are the cinematographers and editors people think have done great work?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Phew...that's a huge one.

My personal faves that I usually immediately name when it comes to cinematographers are generally Emmanuelle Lubeski, Robert Richardson and Jean Yves Escoffier, but that's just scratching the surface. I love Victorio Storaro's use of color, too. I was following Malick Sayeed's progression with excitement, but he hasn't done much but music videos lately. And then there are all the old greats whose names aren't dropped as often, but their images are indelible in the heads of movie buffs.

Editors...well, I'm sort of ashamed here that I can't drop a name. There are people like Thelma Schoonmaker or Walter Murch or Mary Sweeney that are clearly associated with a filmmaker or at least a certain film, but there are many others who are equally or more skilled whose work is just invisible...but being an editor myself, I know how important their work is.

I am a big fan of Roderick Jaynes, though.

Pubrick

old: cardiff, nykvist.
new: prieto.

editors.. pfft who can remember any? u really shouldn't notice their work. but i remember Murch cos of those books he did, In the Blink of an Eye and that new interview one.

my head hurts.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Cinematographers: Too many threads to redirect to.

Editors: Anne V. Coates, Thelma Schoonmaker, George Tomasini, Walter Murch, Michael Kahn.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

Ghosty, you were trying to be funny about Roderick Jaynes, right?
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Yes. Can anyone provide a link to that delightful article "he" wrote about the editing and titling of 'The Man Who Wasn't There?'

Ernie

I can't do that but I will second "his" talent. I gotta third Thelma Schoonmaker too...wow...she's damn good. I don't know many other editors by name to be honest.

As for cinematography...I gotta say Tim Orr (All the Real Girls, George Washington, Raising Victor Vargas), I think he's probably the best new guy, very very beautiful stuff. Also Newton Thomas Sigel (Three Kings, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind)...he's a great recent one. Robert Yeoman (The Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Drugstore Cowboy) has a great subtlety that makes him awesome...can't forget him. Actually, I think they outdo Robert Elswit (PDL, BN, Magnolia), who many have said is mostly influenced by PTA and his vision moreso than his own.

mutinyco

I think a really good editor is James Haygood. He does Fincher's stuff. Check out some of the music videos they did together -- he's tighter than a virgin.

As for DP's, can't overlook Allen Daviau, who shot Spielberg's mid-'80s work...

Honestly, I can't express how important editing is. It seems so much easier for people to name DPs, but editors should be just as widely acknowledged.

-St. Joe

Redlum

Daniel Rezende (yeah I looked the name up) for City of God, is what sticks out in recent memory.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

dufresne

Quote from: GhostboyYes. Can anyone provide a link to that delightful article "he" wrote about the editing and titling of 'The Man Who Wasn't There?'

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,4120,559123,00.html
There are shadows in life, baby.

SoNowThen

whoever did Black Hawk Down (dp'd), I thought did a great job.

Dylan Tichner (sp?) is a good young editor.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

TheVoiceOfNick

Anyone who has shot or cut for Steven Spielberg... as far as cutting only, we all know PTA had more to do with the cutting of his movies and trailers than most people think he did...

Nick

jasper_window

I like Joe Hutshing.  Sarah Flack for the Limey alone.  Anne Coates.  Stephen Mirrione.  

DP's, Roger Deakins, Robert Richardson, Conrad Hall, Ellen Kuras, Ed Lachman, Dante Spinotti(sp?), Eliot Davis (mostly for out of sight and things to do in denver when you're dead), I could go on and on...

mutinyco

Eliot Davis has a movie called Thirteen coming out. All hand-held grainy super-16.

-St. Joe

jasper_window

Yeah I can't wait for Thirteen.  Looks good!