TV on film

Started by kotte, November 10, 2003, 11:13:09 AM

kotte

Is there a cheap way of getting rid of those rollbars?

Except changing the speed? And using expensive equipment.

mutinyco

You said it. Changing the speed or using expensive equipment.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

kotte

Quote from: mutinycoYou said it. Changing the speed or using expensive equipment.

yeah...I was afraid of that. :)

anakin_e

I've got to do a little project where I'm filming a TV and some computer monitors, and I'm wondering if anyone could go into any more detail as to how i should go about this. I'm recording on Mini-DV with a little Sony and I'm editing with Premiere 6.5. Any advice / links would be great.
Cheers
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: anakin_eI've got to do a little project where I'm filming a TV and some computer monitors, and I'm wondering if anyone could go into any more detail as to how i should go about this. I'm recording on Mini-DV with a little Sony and I'm editing with Premiere 6.5. Any advice / links would be great.
Cheers

There is no real way to do this with an inexpensive cameras... cameras now exist that can match the frequency of the refresh rate, virtually eliminating this effect... but if you have more than one screen in your shot, they'll have to get syncronized (not an easy task for just computer monitors, and just about impossible when mixing computer screens and tv screens)... my advice would be to shoot using LCD displays, since they don't have these problems.  I'm shooting a promo video for a company right now, and we're using LCD screens to demonstrate their software products...

anakin_e

Thanks TheVoiceOfNick, I've fiddled around with some refresh rate stuff and managed to get something that'll work for computer monitors (not perfect, but passable), I'm going to have to puzzle over how to do it with TVs now....
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

mutinyco

Actually, you should be able to correct the situation in editing. Any program worth anything will let you composite images. Simply digitize the TV image and superimpose it over the TV.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Recce

If you raise(or is it lower?) the shutter speed, you can get rid of distortions. However, you can't have someone or something else moving in the same shot, otherwise the movements will be all stuttery and look like some student film attempt at making someone seem drunk.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Xixax

The best and easiest way (depending on the scene) to eliminate the shutter-speed "roll" is to replace the CRT computer monitor with a flat-panel LCD screen. If you're shooting video, the LCD monitors won't give you that annoying roll, and they're great if you need to photograph what's actually taking place on a computer screen.

Another technique I've used with limited success is to change the refresh rate of the monitor. Under windows, you can usually do this by going to desktop preferences, selecting "adapter" and then go to "list all modes". It will give you different screen resolutions and different refresh rates.

If you're lucky, you will find a refresh rate that matches the shutter speed of your camera (60hz if I remember correctly for NTSC video). This can minimize the video roll effect, but it's tricky and only works sometimes.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

Quote from: mutinycoActually, you should be able to correct the situation in editing. Any program worth anything will let you composite images. Simply digitize the TV image and superimpose it over the TV.

Yeah, if you're shooting a CRT, this is often a good way to go, but remember, if you do this, to shoot the TV/Computer on... with static or something that emits moving light the same color that will be shown on the monitor/t.v. screen.