put your Gondry right here.

Started by picolas, April 18, 2004, 01:23:38 AM

RegularKarate

matt35mm

I enjoyed that.  It feels South American, North American, and European at the same time.  It also feels effortless, even though all evidence points to a lot of effort being put into it.  How does this cocksucker keep doing this?

Pubrick

that's excellent.

great use of public spaces and public colours. wherever it was shot, matt's right it feels very multicultural and effortless.

my favourite parts are around 1:40 when they're running down some stairs and the fat chick is the last one down, and then at the end after they're done spinning that one dude on the right is about to collapse. definitely hard work made to look simple. it's inspiring.

gondry needs to shut the hell up (stop writing scripts) and stick to the visuals, his language comes off perfectly when he sticks to what he's good at. english is not what he's good at.
under the paving stones.

The Perineum Falcon

He just needs to go ahead and make a musical already.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

I thought it was pretty lazy. He's a creative dude but he's been a lot better (1998-Be Kind Rewind). It's like he said, "I'm gonna put these schlubs in shirts, film them and then go to lunch. action."

Still, even creatively drained Gondry is better than most.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polanski's illegitimate baby

SPOILER The short film where a japanese girl becomes a chair is fucking DANK.
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

modage

SXSW Exclusive: Michel Gondry's Next Is New Project 'The We & The I'; Updates On 'Green Hornet,' 'Master Of Space & Time' And More
Source: ThePlaylist

Yesterday, we brought some news from a panel at SXSW with director Michel Gondry, who provided some updates on the status of his animated project "Megalomania," which is set to feature the voices of Steve Buscemi, Seth Rogen and Juliette Lewis. We caught up with Gondry in a one-to-one interview later in the day, spoke to him about this new documentary, "A Thorn In The Heart" (more on that later) and we picked up a few more tidbits on some of the French auteur's future projects.

First up, now in post-production and heading for its December release date, is "The Green Hornet," the Seth Rogen-led superhero movie, also starring Cameron Diaz, Christoph Waltz and Tom Wilkinson. Gondry was originally set to make his feature debut on a previous incarnation of the project 13 years ago, and was pleased to be able to return to the character and see it through, "It was great, because I sort of abandoned my son when he was young to do that [version] of the film. I moved to Paris and I felt guilty that I didn't complete the film. But that's his type of film. Now he's a bit more serious in film taste, but at his previous age, he was dying for me to make that movie, only because it was a screenplay I was more involved in, and it was crazy..."

The script for the new version is by Rogen and "Superbad" co-writer Evan Goldberg — does Gondry wish that the project was closer to his original plan? "Sometimes [my son says] 'Oh, you should have done it the way you had it initially,' but there are still things I brought to it, personal things. So it will still have my imprint on it." What will it look like, the vision of Michel Gondry and Rogen/Goldberg? Some people can't picture what the combination will be on screen. "Me either!," Gondry exclaimed. "You will see when it's done. Like any movie, we're figuring the movie in the editing room, but I think when it's done it's going to be very spectacular." He also seems delighted with the cast, calling it a great "ensemble piece" and saying that "I feel very lucky to have got Christoph Waltz to play the villain." The now Academy-Award-anointed Austrian actor replaced Nicolas Cage at the eleventh hour.

Unfortunately, the news from another of Gondry's long-in-the-offing projects isn't so good. An adaptation of the Rudy Rucker sci-fi novel "The Master of Space and Time," with a script from "Megalomania" writer, and "Ghost World" graphic novelist Daniel Clowes, has been in the works for almost as long as "The Green Hornet," and had Jack Black attached to the lead role for some time. Disappointingly, the project seems to be dead now, "Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, but I'm going to do something similar with Daniel, another science fiction project... based on a comic book made by my son" (the aforementioned animated "Megalomania" project).

Also on the helmer's slate is "Return of the Ice Kids," about a group of teenagers who develop a form of water that makes you hear music when you drink it, which remains in active development, "It's still in the writing [phase]," Gondry said, noting that he himself won't write the project now. "I wrote two drafts, but then we hired someone else to write another draft. I don't think he's very well known." (Gondry did tell us the name of the writer, but between the thickness of the director's accent, and the unfamiliarity of the name, we didn't want to get it wrong...)

So, what's up next, after the completion of "The Green Hornet?" Interestingly, it seems to be a project that we weren't previously aware of, which was borne out of meetings with the publishers of "You'll Like This Film Because You're In It: The Be Kind Rewind Protocol," which is about community filmmaking, inspired by Gondry's last feature project. "When I wrote this book, I always wrote 'I did this,' or 'we did that,' and my publisher said 'we have to do something for the we and the I.'" Thus, the title for the project, "The We & The I," was born about kids on a school bus. Say what?

"It's about the group effect, how people in groups transform when the group is dislocated, because everyone jumps out of the bus at different times, there is a smaller group and how the relationships evolve." Is it another science-fiction project? "No, it's kids on a bus, it's more like a social thing. It's not [well-known] actors, it's going to be kids from a school in the Bronx. I love kids and just [regular] people too because they are not polluted by the medium. They come as they are and they have beautiful stories to tell, so I want to show that." It seems to demonstrate a return to the theme of community that has appeared in much of Gondry's recent work ("Dave Chappelle's Block Party," "Be Kind Rewind"), and is another gear-change for the director, going from super-hero tentpole to tiny indie drama.

This back-and-forth wasn't premeditated though. The film was originally intended to shoot last summer, "But then I got the "Green Hornet" project I couldn't let go. So I had to postpone it, and hopefully they won't be too old for the parts now." So "The We & The I" is next? "Hopefully, yes."

Stay tuned, we got a little more from Gondry including details on his secret project with Bjork.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on March 15, 2010, 01:26:18 PM
Stay tuned, we got a little more from Gondry including details on his secret project with Bjork.

again, excited. but i hope he tries a little harder than he did in their last collabo.

i say as i continue to waste my life..
under the paving stones.

modage

SXSW Interview: Michel Gondry's "Secret" Project With Björk To Be In IMAX 3D
Source: ThePlaylist

Michael Gondry and Icelandic musician Björk are certainly no strangers having collaborated together on no less than seven music videos since 1993, the last being 2007's "Declare Independence" off her album, Volta.

Earlier this year, however, it was revealed that the two were set to reunite for a mysterious, secret film project that was described by the director simply as something "very undefined, so it's hard to give more precision."

It was that secretive. However, In an interview with Gondry at the 2010 SXSW Film Festival promoting his new documentary, "A Thorn In The Heart," we managed to draw out a few details on the project which sounds more like an art project than a feature film, but fascinating nonetheless.

"We have a very ambitious project, a sort of scientific musical," Gondry explained. "[It's a movie], but maybe more for museums. Like a 40 minute IMAX project in 3D."

A 40 minute IMAX 3D scientific musical fit for museums? Did we expect anything less from a film project involving the musically adventurous Björk and visually creative Gondry? Not really.

Gondry has already evinced a belief in Björk's acting ability, originally wanting to cast her in his fantastical-love-story "The Science Of Sleep." The musician however, passed though, presumably still scarred from her award-winning experiences with Lars von Trier on "Dancer In The Dark." This new collaboration sounds exciting and we wouldn't expect anything less from the aspiring filmmaker and the always bold and creatively forward-thinking musician.

In case you missed it, here's more from our interview with Gondry including details on his new project, "The We & The I."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: Michel Gondry Lays Out His Plans For A Kinko's Documentary
Source: MTV

One of the big names at South By Southwest last weekend was Michel Gondry. As the man responsible for one of the finest films in recent memory -- "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" -- people tend to sit up and take notice whenever he does something new. And while he'll next be trying his hand at a spectacle-driven blockbuster in "The Green Hornet," he was at the Austin entertainment conference to promote his new documentary, "The Thorn in the Heart."

The doc is an incredibly personal one for the filmmaker, as it takes an up-close look at the life of the Gondry family, specifically his mother, aunt and cousin. When MTV's Josh Horowitz spoke to Gondry over the weekend, he asked what the appeal of capturing non-fiction on film is.

"I want to do more documentaries to really learn to get people to tell us some things we don't know," he explained.

Gondry doesn't really know what he wants to do next in that realm, "but I've had some ideas for a long time." One can only imagine the weird, crazy things that percolate in his mind. Why imagine though? Gondry laid one possibility out. He'd like to do something... at Kinko's?

"When I moved to Hollywood, I remember going to a-- now maybe it's not so [timely], but I was going to a Kinko's... and you would see all these people with their projects and their hopes. I wanted to interview them; I would take the point of view of the copy machine, the Xerox machine, to see the document, and you would see somebody who is part of a cult of black magic, a Nazi, some people making passes for a U2 concert. And it was really interesting. So I had this idea, maybe I will do it or not, it depends."

For Gondry, it's less about who or what the subject is than it is about capturing the truth of that subject. "I really like to go somewhere with a camera not knowing what I'm going to find. Because you find it while you're shooting it, so you really find... the magic of the moment of discovery."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Who has more ideas down the pipeline? Gondry or :shock:?

At least Gondry's ideas are good. Is Kinko's even still around?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

:ponder: ...  i cant remember who :shock: is...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Quote from: 72teeth on March 23, 2010, 05:54:22 AM
:ponder: ...  i cant remember who :shock: is...

Quote from: polkablues on February 27, 2010, 01:09:46 AM
That story managed to confirm every preconception I ever held about Eli Roth (whom I'll refer to simply as  :shock: from now on).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

polkablues

It kind of needs the context of the rest of that thread.
My house, my rules, my coffee