Author Topic: Woody Allen  (Read 67630 times)

xerxes

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +10
    • quotidian

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +475
Re: Woody Allen
« Reply #451 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »
Let's quote Philip Roth.

"There is truth and then again there is truth. For all that the world is full of people who go around believing they've got you or your neighbor figured out, there really is no bottom to what is not known. The truth about us is endless. As are the lies."

I read almost everything about it. And i don't follow the mass of informations anymore. I'm not a lawyer.  I seriously can't know. Too many facts.
I'm so many people.

wilder

• Respect: +1649
« Reply #452 on: May 02, 2014, 11:22:56 AM »
+2
Joaquin Phoenix Set For Starring Role In Next Woody Allen Movie
via Deadline

Joaquin Phoenix has finalized a deal to star in the next film directed by Woody Allen, which Iím hearing is going to begin shooting in July. As per usual thereís not much known Allenís projects before they really get going, but his past few have included gangbusters Midnight In Paris and Blue Jasmine, the latter landing its star Cate Blanchett the Best Actress Oscar this year. The writer-directorís next pic in his seemingly endless pipeline is romantic comedy Magic In The Moonlight, about an Englishman brought in to help unmask a possible swindle in the south of France in the 1920s against a backdrop of wealthy mansions, the CŰte díAzur, jazz joints and fashionable spots for the wealthy of the Jazz Age.

Phoenix is coming off Spike Jonzeís Oscar-nommed Her, which earned the actor a Golden Globe nom, and he just finished Inherent Vice for Paul Thomas Anderson. He his repped by WME and attorney David Weber.

wilder

« Reply #453 on: May 06, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
Emma Stone Reteams With Woody Allen, Joins His Next Film With Joaquin Phoenix
via The Playlist

While Andrew Garfield has at least one more "The Amazing Spider-Man" movie to deal with, Emma Stone is no longer required to square away a big chunk of the year to the franchise, so she's deciding to do some more interesting work instead. With "Magic In The Moonlight" due later this summer, it seems Emma Stone has got on well with Woody Allen, and is ready to work with him again.

The actress is joining the director's next film, which already has Joaquin Phoenix set to star. As per usual, no title or plot details are being revealed, so let's just refocus back on "Magic In The Moonlight," with Allen recently opening up a little bit about the shooting the movie. ďThis oneís set in Nice in the 1920s. I have a great cameraman, terrific art director, but finding locations was hard. We had to travel around, do selective shooting to re-create primitive spots like in the old days," he told Page Six. ďWeíre talking bootleggers, nightclubs, the Charleston. But where were the nightclubs? Nothing was there then. It was a great shock. That era was right after the Russian revolution. Rich Russians went to the South of France to escape....But then came another problem ó itís countryside. And Iím a city person. I donít do greens, trees and butterflies.Ē

"Magic In The Moonlight" arrives on July 25th and right around that time, Allen will start shooting his next movie.

wilder

« Reply #454 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »
Woody Allen interviewed on a podcast called Happy Sad Confused (I don't know what this is)

wilder

« Reply #455 on: January 13, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »
Woody Allen Heads To Amazon To Write And Direct His First TV Series, Will Air In 2016
via The Playlist

While Netflix has largely enjoyed dominance in the realm of original programming for streaming services, if they haven't been looking over their shoulders, they'd better start. Over the weekend, Amazon Studios cemented their rep as real-deal contenders when their acclaimed series "Transparent" took home two Golden Globe awards. And now they've just bagged one of American cinema's most legendary figures for his first television series.

Amazon has announced that Woody Allen will write and direct a new half-hour series, with a full season already up and ordered. In true Woody Allen fashion, no title, cast or plot details have been revealed, but the show will arrive on Amazon in 2016. And so we guess that means that for the first time since 1981, Allen won't have a feature film in theaters next year. But trivia aside, we're pretty excited to see what Allen does in a TV series format where he can expand on his characters, and see where they go.

Quote from: Woody Allen
ďI donít know how I got into this. I have no ideas and Iím not sure where to begin. My guess is that [Amazon Studios Vice President] Roy Price will regret this,Ē Allen dryly stated in a press release. We're sure he won't.

Meanwhile, Allen's next, untitled film starring Joaquin Phoenix and Emma Stone is expected to arrive later this year.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1400
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
+1
i really hope more people like woody allen go into tv. take 'im
Every perspective is an act of creation.

Gittes

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #457 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:21 AM »
I'm curious about who he'll cast in this. This might be a good opportunity for Allen to collaborate with Larry David again, providing the latter is finished with his Broadway play by the time the show starts shooting.

jenkins

• Respect: +1400
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #458 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »

trailer for new woody allen movie with joaquin phoenix. this'll be a woody i'll either skip or redbox
Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »
Woody Allen now playing Woody Allen IRL, I wish there were a reality series following the making of this

Woody Allen Explains Why He Regrets His Amazon Deal, Says He Might Go Digital For His Next Film
via The Playlist

For many filmmakers, streaming services like Netflix and Amazon represent the next great creative frontier. Given healthy budgets and carte blanche, these outlets are responsible for providing numerous writers and directors the kind of freedom they can't get at a studio level. Thus, it was with much excitement when it was announced earlier this year that Amazon had landed Woody Allen to write and direct a series for them. But here's the thing: Allen is one of the writer/directors in Hollywood who gets to do whatever he wants anyway, and he admits he had to be persuaded to take the Amazon deal, but he's not sure it was the right thing to do.

"This was a catastrophic mistake for me. I'm struggling with it," he told a Cannes press conference (via USA Today). "I never should have gotten into it. I thought it would be really easy, to do six half-hours. I thought it would be a cinch. But it's not. It's very, very hard."

"I kept saying I have no ideas for it, that I never watch television. I donít know the first thing about it," Allen elaborated to Deadline about being approached by Amazon. "Well, this went on for a year and a half, and they kept making a better deal and a better deal. Finally they said look, weíll do anything that you want, just give us six half hours. They can be black and white, they can take place in Paris, in New York and California, they can be about a family, they can be comedy, you can be in them, they can be tragic. We donít have to know anything, just come in with six half hours. And they offered a lot of money and everybody around me was pressuring me, go ahead and do it, what do you have to lose?"

And while it does seem like a sweet deal, Allen seems crippled by the broad canvas he's being given to play with. "I have regretted every second since I said OK. Itís been so hard for me," he says. "I had the cocky confidence, well, Iíll do it like I do a movieÖitíll be a movie in six parts. Turns out, itís not. For me, it has been very, very difficult. Iíve been struggling and struggling and struggling. I only hope that when I finally do it ó I have until the end of 2016 ó theyíre not crushed with disappointment because theyíre nice people and I donít want to disappoint them."

And it seems, Allen is still trying to figure out exactly what he'll do. "I hope itís just the anxiety again, but this is hard. Iím like a fish out of water. Movies Iíve been doing for decades, and even the stage stuff, I know the stage and have seen a million plays," he said. "But thisÖhow to begin something and end it after a half an hour and then come back the next time. Itís not me."

However, it should be said that the filmmaker is adverse to new forms of storytelling. In fact, Allen reveals that he might drop film stock for his next movie starring Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Bruce Willis, and Blake Lively, which shoots this summer.

"Digital looks very good to me if itís done well. Film always looks great if itís done well. Iíve never shot anything in digital, but I think I will shoot my next film digitally to see what thatís like. It is more than the wave of the future; itís the wave of the present, really," Allen said, noting that he doesn't feel particularly strongly about preserving the analog format.

"...digital is really not cheaper and itís not faster. Itís just that thatís the way everything has moved and it looks pretty. I see digital shot by good cameramen that is beautiful and I wouldnít be able to tell the difference, so I donít mind it," he admits. "I like that I can edit fast. You just punch electronics where it used to be youíd cut and then have to splice it and tape it and then look at it and un-tape it. Now, itís bang, bang, bang, bang, bang and itís done."

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #460 on: August 01, 2015, 01:21:21 PM »
+1
Irrational Man was wonderful, don't buy the trailers. And the haters can't appreciate the B-movie that this is . . . Joaquin's pot belly precedes him, and he reminded me of the master actors of 30's 40's playing in a tonally confused/jumbled together movie that absolutely works. Some of those images pack a secret punch... they found texture in Joaquin's character ghosting through Rhode Island. A late-night flick. From the reviews I've read people are bringing a lot of their own Woody baggage in and comparing it to his previous films/LIFE which I didn't do.

JG

• Respect: +53
« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2015, 01:01:40 PM »
i thought a lot of it was trashy and bad, but its charming in a TCM at 3am kinda-way. it hits its stride in a few places, and i especially loved the last scene, but my gushing would be spoilery. my man khondji does his thing as always, and that's worth price of admission alone!

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #462 on: August 02, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
those trashy elements added to my experience (those voice overs were even great) ... maybe because it was continuously undercut by Joaquin's plunge and khondji's imagery and the Rhode Island location itself. It got under my skin because it didn't and did take itself seriously at the same time.... maybe an unintended push/pull between Woody and Joaquin. Agreed on the TCM at 3am charm.

tpfkabi

• Respect: +22
    • twitter deed, twitter dead. in the heart or in the head?
« Reply #463 on: August 04, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Just watched Magic In The Moonlight. I enjoyed it. It was beautifully shot and well acted. He tied it all together really nicely with the final scene.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

wilder

« Reply #464 on: August 07, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »
Vittorio Storaro Reportedly Lensing Woody Allenís 2016 Film, Will Be Set In 1930s
via The Playlist

Woody Allen has worked with some terrific cinematographers in his time ó Gordon Willis, Darius Khondji, Sven Nyquist, and Vilmos Zsigmond, among others ó and for his 2016 movie, which begins shooting very soon, he's knocking another great craftsman off his bucket list.

Vittorio Storaro will reportedly lens the upcoming picture, which is pretty exciting stuff. The cinematographer is a three time Academy Award-winner for "Apocalypse Now," "Reds," and "The Last Emperor," and counts Bernardo Bertolucci, Francis Ford Coppola, and Warren Beatty among the filmmakers he's worked with.

Woody Allen Pages reports that the film, starring Jesse Eisenberg, Blake Lively, Parker Posey, Kristen Stewart, Bruce Willis, Corey Stoll, Ken Stott, Anna Camp, Stephen Kunken, Sari Lennick, Paul Schneider, and Jeannie Berlin, is set in the 1930s, though it's not clear yet if it's a comedy or drama.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy